Author Topic: July 20th, 1969...  (Read 1135 times)

Dermathil

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
July 20th, 1969...
« on: July 20, 2009, 08:51:45 am »
40 years ago, Neil Armstrong said the now famous sentence, "It's one small step for a man, but a giant leap for mankind."

I think he deserves a topic to speak of it.

Proud owner and founder of the Khazadi Bookshop.

neko kyouran

Re: July 20th, 1969...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:32:43 am »
According to my father, they were supposed to touch down on the moon on the 19th, his bday, but technical issues delayed it until the 20th.  He still holds a grudge against them for that.

makes me chuckle.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:48:54 am »
I had just turned 5 years old and can clearly remember sitting in the living room of The Victoria Inn in Deopham my parents having just taken over the tenancy and surrounded by the boxes of our possessions watching it on a small B&W portable tv.
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:52:44 am »
Always wondered if the guy spent hours thinking about what to say when he got there or if he just winged it. He probably had the time, huh? Or maybe someone down here told him: "You totally gotta say this, bro, it'll get you quoted beyond belief:..." :P

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:26:13 am »
nah the pr flacks at nasa central handed him the script. hence the slight decrepancy. he is heard to say "one small step for man..." while the script says "one small step for a man..." though recent audio analysys indicates that he just really clipped the 'a'.

further proof that it was a live event rather then recorded on a sound stage.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Dermathil

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 10:52:09 am »
Always wondered if the guy spent hours thinking about what to say when he got there or if he just winged it. He probably had the time, huh? Or maybe someone down here told him: "You totally gotta say this, bro, it'll get you quoted beyond belief:..." :P

On the morning news, I discovered he simply winged it. He had thought of it just before walking out, or so I've heard.

P.S: I'd have a request to make. When this thread will be locked for whatever reason it will be ('cuz I'm sure it will be locked one day or another), maybe prepare it so someone could unlock it on the July 20th, 2019, maybe? (Not asking it to be locked right now, but... I guess you might understand what I ask.)

Proud owner and founder of the Khazadi Bookshop.

Drey

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:42:03 pm »
According to my father, they were supposed to touch down on the moon on the 19th, his bday, but technical issues delayed it until the 20th.  He still holds a grudge against them for that.

And so he should! :D
<Rux> i wish i could say that narrows it down, but the internet is one freaky place

Prolix

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 06:37:09 pm »
I was chillin there in Mare Tranquillitatis at the time and I don't recall seeing them anywhere near there. Maybe they landed on the dark side by mistake.... no wonder they had to fake all the evidence!

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 08:17:03 pm »

On the morning news, I discovered he simply winged it. He had thought of it just before walking out, or so I've heard.

P.S: I'd have a request to make. When this thread will be locked for whatever reason it will be ('cuz I'm sure it will be locked one day or another), maybe prepare it so someone could unlock it on the July 20th, 2019, maybe? (Not asking it to be locked right now, but... I guess you might understand what I ask.)

Well of course he's gonna say he winged it! But I still think the guy had a ghostwriter who spent the whole anniversary day complaining about the credit she/he never got for that phrase. :)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 09:25:37 pm »
This happened one month after I was born. I never lived in an America that had not gone to the moon. Science and mathematics generates amazing results when applied by roughly 400K people to a body of technology. Mars next. Too bad the moon had not had tonnes of easily-recoverable water on the surface... we're just gonna have to capture a comet or something before we can have a Lunar city.  Prolix is a Capricorn V fan. *winks*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:28:21 pm by verden »

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 11:45:36 pm »
How many of us know that in the original USA Mercury astronaut trainees, there were 15 females? And one of them outscored all the males on every test- intelligence, stress endurance, science, strength. And that when the NASA documents of the time were released under the State's 'Freedom Information" regs, there was a memo from the head of NASA  about they had decided no girls would ever be allowed to be an astronaut because they were too emotional.
Wonder what the warrior females of Planeshift think about that? It's good that the world evolves...h'aint it?
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 11:47:09 pm »
The considerations are at least partially physical ones, and the psychological aspects are very, very important in space flight. But we are no longer in the 1960s in terms of medical understanding or social bias.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:52:10 pm by verden »

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 07:16:35 am »
How many of us know that in the original USA Mercury astronaut trainees, there were 15 females? And one of them outscored all the males on every test- intelligence, stress endurance, science, strength.

Citation needed... interesting if true, not surprising if she got turned down for being female.

Mars next.

But this time it'll be the Chinese and not the US? :)

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 01:18:08 pm »
Quickly scanned over it and didn't notice anything about strength but, either way, must have been an exceptional lady.

Wonder what the warrior females of Planeshift think about that?

They'd probably get too emotional and overreact :P

But still, historic day and what not!
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.