Poll

Behavior that Disrupts RP on Fragnetics is....

Moderated too strictly.
Not moderated enough.

Author Topic: Disruption Poll  (Read 2490 times)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Disruption Poll
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:06:14 am »
So people are arguing about too much disruption or too snooty rp players. What say you?

Skrein

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Disruption Poll
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:07:40 am »
First vote. \o/

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:42:56 am »
We'll be interested in learning what the community finds disruptive, whether or not these actions have been deemed against the game policies, so please provide examples if you can along with your comments. Thank you.

Rigwyn

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:46:45 am »
From what little I've seen it seems that sometimes the problem is that there is some disagreement about whether an action was legit or not ( ie godmodding and misuse of ooc info ) . Perhaps putting some "rules" for rp within the game's help tab would help with this...  ( for those who dont want to stop and search the forums for a legit reference )

example:

player1 is sick
players2,3 and 4 are rping as healers lets say
player5 comes along and decides to surround the sick player will a protective aura for magical energy that makes the player impervious to all damage while healing him ... blah blah blah..
players 2,3 and 4 are now left standing there with nothing further to do

example:

player1 is known ooc as a bad guy - perhaps he has an online banner or something
player2 acts as if player1 is a vbad guy without any ic reason

This second example will not be intuitive to new players. The whole concept of allowing your player to be *dumb* or *uninformed* and vulnerable is very counter intuitive at first.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:52:54 am by Rigwyn »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 10:15:34 am »
What about those who overtly refuse to roleplay on laanx and talk casually like we're in their living room?

Or people who blatantly defy in character laws in the presence of guards?

Skrein

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 10:30:48 am »
What about those who overtly refuse to roleplay on laanx and talk casually like we're in their living room?

Or people who blatantly defy in character laws in the presence of guards?

This is how the "you have been struck down by Laanx" mechanic should work imo.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:44:14 am »
Perhaps...

Rennaj

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Glad to Help
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 11:27:55 am »
 Ok try a different approach.
I see this as two separate issues, yes the solution is the same for both, and that would be. Give GMs more freedom in dealing with both issues, could be a quiet word [tells] offering advice if wanted, or friendly warning in case of disruptive.
 Now grey area is what is disruptive or snooty RP. in most cases I think we can all agree this should be left up to the GM/s in game at the time, as I do not think we can all agree what is and what is not, as we all have our own way of Role Playing.

Example of what I do not like.
 Is players dropping things by or close to players RPing, but it might just be part of there RP for all I know.
 Players sending you /tells or in main "Do you mind we are RPing here, go away or I will call a GM. [No excuse for this one if all you are doing is stood there watching what is going on]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:55:50 am by Rennaj »
Run your permissions at least once a week. You will be amazed what it can solve.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:30:46 am »
Once my character Orgonwukh was arrested for drawing weapons in Kada-El's (which was perfect for me).
I called a GM for arrestment for exactly the same situations several times, where players drew weapons inside city walls, but the players were not arrested. In my opinion those players should be warned OOCly. If they refuse to sheath weapons, their chars should be imprisoned or killed by a guard, depending on their history and/or situation.

There were several situations where people talked OOCly in main tab. I usual ask nicely (so I hope) to use brackets, use /tell or use /group. Sometimes players refuse and start ranting about "stupid roleplayers", even offend you sometimes. I would like to see such behaviour being punished by banning (they should be allowed to join ezpcusa though).

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 11:39:27 am »
* Liadan starts to say something then gets distracted by the picture on Xillix's profile...BS?

Sorry, was the question, people who are disruptive to RP's or people who are disruptive IN their RPs?

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 11:56:05 am »
Either. Both.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 12:21:31 pm »
I went for this as not moderated enough, as this seems to be about behavior rather than RP style. Bad behavior should always be addressed. Nobody should have their play experience dampened, if at all possible.

Elady

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 12:31:10 pm »
A couple of examples of when more moderation would have been nice.

Example 1 - players are gathering on the plaza for the start of a GM event. PLayer A is standing with two weapons in hand. Player B points out that drawn weapons aren't allowed in the city. Player A refuses to put away his weapons claiming he is a licensed bouncer and he can have his weapons drawn at any time. Big argument follows. Since there were guard close by it would have been nice for them to either make player A put away his weapons or let everyone else know that Player A was allowed to have his weapons out.

Example 2 - Players are standing o the grass in front of Harn's. PLayer A has weapons drawn. Player B asks Player A to put his weapons away pointing out the law. Player refuses to put his weapons away claiming he is allowed because he is in a guild war and his enemies may attack him at any moment.  After some back and forth arguments player B ends up leaving the area fed up by play A's actions.

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 12:47:02 pm »
Hm. Well, I probably would be more understanding to people who are roleplaying their distruptiveness, over people who are just being disruptive period.

For example, the stand off between House Cheshire and Klyros Junction yesterday (my time) in front of the entrance to the arena. That was somewhat disruptive roleplay, but no more than say a picket line in front of garbage disposal areas. I can respect that disruption of not being able to complete a quest, if I am aware of what's going on. For all I know, it could just very well be two different guilds standing around, not a picket line. However, what was annoying about that was that characters who were not involved in the confrontation, were also not allowed in. This is the type of 'allowed' disruptive RP. I really can't think of one that shouldn't be allowed at this moment, but I'm sure someone else might be able to catch onto what I'm saying and provide an example.

People who are being disruptive, outside of roleplay, I tolerate less. For instance, players who run into Kada-Els with weapons drawn, and even though you mention, in brackets, that it's common courtesy to sheath weapons in the tavern, they still refuse to do so. And then proceed to propose marriage to the character (true story). What was unique about this situation, was that the player had been told, not even moments earlier, by the Hydlaa guards, to sheath his weapons in the city. Ignorance and just not knowing the rules are understandable, We've all been there before. But refusing to listen on more than one account is blatant disregard, and probably should be punished.

In terms of whether or not these things should be policed more, ask yourself what would happen if I did this in real life? Would the police be called? Then give or take a  yes or no for medieval times (or at least what we think would happen during that time period). Would someone be thrown in prison for brandishing weapons in the city in a medieval time? Yes, that would be the least that happened. Remember, people have been beheaded for less in those days.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 12:59:30 pm »
My personal experience is in players trying to RP their disruptiveness but not knowing when to stop forcing their RP on others. I.E. a character with an obnoxious personality or is doing things not allowed in the city (like killing) that just won't go away, even when you ask them RPly and OOCly. Many understand that you have to stay in character, but they feel that as long as they are in character, there are no other rules to follow. They start being inconsiderate in both their RP and OOCly. And then there are those that when I tried to calmly explain to them why there was a problem with them hanging around, they go get in a huff and acting like I was suppose to tolerate them for as long as they choose regardless of whether or not I had my own RP going at the time. I have a tendency to be pretty relaxed about letting people interrupt my RP and I will go along with a pretty wide variety of stuff but I am getting tired of the people that think the whole of the game revolves around them and exists to cater to them. None of us even pay for this game.  ::)