Author Topic: Strong Factions being added to descriptions automatically  (Read 893 times)

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Strong Factions being added to descriptions automatically
« on: June 27, 2008, 05:44:31 pm »
Did a quick scan of the forum and didn't see anything similar, but sorry if it is a repeat.  I think it would be nice if at the end of a character discription there would be a short note that is automatically inserted that is affected by you factions.  for example a player with a -30 law faction may have at the end of their description "bob seems to have an obvious disrespect for the law"  I'm not quite sure if factions do anything yet, but I'm pretty sure that they don't do very much if anything, and this would be a great way to incorporate them into role play.  Also, players who like to roleplay a "good" char, and are helpful and kind to all others wouldn't do quests that help thieves and outlaws, because their faction would reflect the blemish on their record as an outstanding citizen.  Only downside is that it may force players to refuse quests with rewards they want because their roleplay and their faction is more important, but i'm not really sure if that is a downside, it isn't to me, but to some it might be.

Idea was spur of the moment, there's probably many issues, feel free to point them out or give some other suggestions or variations.
thanks
Censorship FTW.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Strong Factions being added to descriptions automatically
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 05:45:33 pm »
"Carol seems to enjoy the company of rats"

Sounds like a nice idea, but some of those would be a little corny. :P

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 05:53:16 pm »
Ted and Alice seem to enjoy Bob and Carol and making movies.

Somehow I do not think this would be practical. Nor would it be very contextual.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:20:39 pm »
This would be bad as it would not be true to the factions. No one should be able to see each other's factions. it would be unrealistic to be able to take one look at a person and know what others think of them. I don't even think people should be able to even see their own factions, as it is based on what the NPCs -think- of your character, not anything to do with your character's own mentality. I hate the idea of people running around saying "I have 25 Rat faction and need 30 to get the next quest. Where can I get them?" Much better would be observational factions where you can only judge your faction by how an NPC reacts to you. "I need to get these rats to do something for me, but they don't seem to like me. How do you get rats to like you more?" Others can also observe your faction by how NPCs react to you. If you have a high rat faction, they would follow you around without biting. NPCs who's faction likes you would wave or nod visibly as you passed, or they could give a scowl or turn their heads away if they did not. You could even ask the NPC "What do you think of <player>?"

All of this would be in a very distant version of the game, of course.

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 07:35:59 pm »
This would be bad as it would not be true to the factions. No one should be able to see each other's factions. it would be unrealistic to be able to take one look at a person and know what others think of them. I don't even think people should be able to even see their own factions, as it is based on what the NPCs -think- of your character, not anything to do with your character's own mentality. I hate the idea of people running around saying "I have 25 Rat faction and need 30 to get the next quest. Where can I get them?" Much better would be observational factions where you can only judge your faction by how an NPC reacts to you. "I need to get these rats to do something for me, but they don't seem to like me. How do you get rats to like you more?" Others can also observe your faction by how NPCs react to you. If you have a high rat faction, they would follow you around without biting. NPCs who's faction likes you would wave or nod visibly as you passed, or they could give a scowl or turn their heads away if they did not. You could even ask the NPC "What do you think of <player>?"

All of this would be in a very distant version of the game, of course.

Good point, but i didn't actually mean to say that it should display a number representing each faction, but i meant like... an evil character, with an evil faction may perhaps look mischeivous or creepy... Shaman makes a good point, i don't think all factions would be things you could see, like i believe you can have a brown way faction?  that one obviously wouldn't be noticable to anyone walking by.
Censorship FTW.

Shaman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 07:39:34 pm »
Can I quote you on that, Vannaka? :P

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 07:42:01 pm »
But just because you are evil, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will look evil. Shouldn't we leave it to players to decide what their character will look like?

Peanuts

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 07:42:13 pm »
Good point, but i didn't actually mean to say that it should display a number representing each faction, but i meant like... an evil character, with an evil faction may perhaps look mischeivous or creepy...

Personally, I'd rather not have people forced to make their wickeder characters quite so, um, blatant like that.  Some people do try for a little bit of subtlety!   :P  

Grimr

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:51:55 pm »
I think factions are something like your reputation.
Having a lot of points in different factions (positive or negative) means you've been around much. People know you, or have heard of you.
Obviously, only the more extreme faction scores should be visible: "everybody" knows you've got a good/bad standing with rats/Laanx/whatever...
Ach du, ach das ist dumm: Wer sich nicht in Gefahr begibt – der kommt drin um.

Prolix

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:43:42 pm »
Faction points are currently only available from doing quests so what you want is a way to tell at a glance what kind of quests a player has done. This makes little sense to me. Also there are many different factions some more subtle than others.

What is everyones problem with brown way faction? I assume it is gained by doing favors for brown way masters and likely indicates a certain affinity for that particular way of magic. Is it so hard to imagine that continual use of any particular way of magic might leave its mark on you? You may well be using the glyphs to shape the magic but every action has an equal and opposite reaction or so I have heard.

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 11:12:13 pm »
I think factions are something like your reputation.
Having a lot of points in different factions (positive or negative) means you've been around much. People know you, or have heard of you.
Obviously, only the more extreme faction scores should be visible: "everybody" knows you've got a good/bad standing with rats/Laanx/whatever...

The thing is, I feel (and I think I speak for most people, though I could be wrong) that your player description should only contain information that can be picked up by another character looking at yours. How can you expect them to pick up your reputation, or your standing with certain people just by glancing at your characters appearance?

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 02:32:35 pm »
Unless your character is wearing a Dakkru's Angels leather jacket, the physical description should not associate your character directly to an organizaion or faction. The description of your character is for things that the game does not allow currently to distinguish your character PHYSICALLY. Even in the event of a tatoo that denotes you are part of a certain group, the description should be what the tatoo looks like, not what it represents. It is up to the players interacting with you to figure out the significance of your description.