Author Topic: .: THE COUNCIL :.  (Read 5545 times)

Desnonroth

• Traveller
    • View Profile
ehhhh...
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2004, 05:01:43 pm »
Aren\'t evil guilds (not specified), in most, designed to create chaos and disorder.

The rules and vetoes coming out of the council will directly depend on the balance between good and evil guilds inside the council.

How are you going to fix corruption?

Those are first ideas coming into my head, but it (my head) only works on about 60% power now.

Enisseus Desmonroth - Mercenary Guild - Phoenix Division

???? ???? ????? ?????? ??-??????, ???????????.

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2004, 06:57:43 pm »
I for one will try to make it work. Count me in Annah. If it fails, oh well, it can\'t hurt to try. Anyone else for sure?

Hatchnet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 08:19:39 pm »
Annah, Annah, Annah what you described in your post is not a council...... I repeat NOT A COUNCIL! it is a glorified protection agency; your council would be a waist; less effective than even the leage of nations was.  It is pointless a council would have to get involved in the affairs of its members to be able to have any effect at all this mean mediation of guild conflicts support when asked for for intternal problems as well as protection for all merchants not just those involved with guilds who are members of the council.

Before you try to do this I suggest you look over documents which created similar institutions ex. the Geneva treaty and the U.S. constitution (there are others that I can not think of off the top of my head)

snow_RAveN

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2004, 10:03:27 pm »
I don\'t think modeling it after RL is a good idea.

*imagine*

diplomat: Some force of evil is attacking our lands We need your help
council cheif: That can wait we\'er planing the international save the gooblakc day.
diplomat: But sir, they have allready burned down farm lands and ...
council cheif: OK, OK we\'lll think about it

Council cheif: Right we\'er here, Eah ? the war ended already?  There problem solved.  

*/imagine*
Originally posted by DepthBlade
I am not as good as you with posting totally random pointless things that neither are relative or make any sense.

Hatchnet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2004, 11:40:38 pm »
which is precicly the problem they had with the leage of nations NO TEETH and it is also the problem with Annah\'s idea. Also a very large nuber of RL councils do work take the UN and NATO for example. Ohter good examples incude the United States and the United Kingdoms. That is why I said to examine the documentations of the conventions that created these types of working councils. Do not do as you did in the previous thread Snow Raven and take a bad example and hold it up as a universal one.

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2004, 12:38:05 am »
Well, I talked to the other two leaders of my guild and they said to give it a chance.  I like this idea a lot so, yes, Helmora Velsha will join. I really love the idea of players putting somthing togeather for a game instead of relying on the devs.
Lol Internet

Annah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2004, 02:26:08 am »
Depth, I created Black Order in 2001, as a clan for Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption, and as a guild for Planeshift. I left it because I needed a change, but do you think I am not supporting it? Ah btw, check Kada\'s site. Who\'s the 1st on the Guilds list? And trust me, you\'ll see it there over 3 years also. If really you want it, some things can  last forever. ;)
 And Hatchnet, it is not \"glorified protection agency\". It\'s a, ... let\'s say \"place\" where guilds join to benefit. Like I said, everything is done be a vote system, and that thing with the military support, maybe it will win the votes, maybe not. It was just an example. Also, I didn\'t try to copy UN, EU or others. Those are \"protective agencies\".
 The Red Monk, those are ideas we\'ll have to think about. We\'ll try to find something that will interest major guilds as well. Like I said, this is still in development, so any idea is very welcome.
 Well, for now let\'s just wait until more will come and post their interest about joining it. In 1 - 2 days we\'ll see what guilds there are, and we\'ll start creating a web site & forums.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 02:26:49 am by Annah »
- Black Order -

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2004, 05:16:20 am »
Good idea Annah.
This will endanger some guilds though. Those guilds which cannot stand such alliances because of their corrupting or chaotic nature (like thieves, spies and corrupting evil forces) will be against this union.
If this Council creates a situation for those guilds, then you should also be expecting some sort of \"Counter Council\", composed of those who are being harmed by it.
This might result in a cute little war ^^, between those who live preying on the weak and those who gather to protect each other.
\"A path without obstacles leads to an end without glory.\" It wouldn\'t be fun if there was none against the idea. Those who have joined so far are capable people and might hold this idea together against what hardships there will be.
Good luck with it.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Hatchnet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2004, 08:02:05 am »
Annah there is a very big difference between a protection agency for merchants (your council) and an international peacekeeping orginization (United Nations)
And just for the record the UN does not simply protect its members it helps to create peace bettween them unlike your \"council\". In short the UN was created to prevent another World War not to simply protect its members and is very effective at doing so. So it is a very good example for what a council of Planeshift should be.

Annah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2004, 08:36:48 am »
\"protection agency for merchants \"
 You\'ve got it all wrong  :( . All I did was giving examples. And yes, I also try to create a ballance between the guilds. I don\'t preffer to name it peace, because having good aligned guilds, as well evil aligned, it just can\'t be possible.
 Just know that what you\'ve said it\'s already implemented, but shaped for the world of Planeshift.

* EDIT *
 Err, stop saying \"your council\". Because is not mine, is everyone\'s :P
 Also, I don\'t want to loose a strong \"ally\" like you in this, so maybe you should come to IRC now to explain you a few missunderstandings.
 Planeshift Fan Channel:
 Server - Quakenet
 Channel - #planeshift
 Waiting you there ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 08:40:12 am by Annah »
- Black Order -

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2004, 12:03:47 pm »
Peace between guilds IS NOT a thing we\'re looking for on Planeshift.
I don\'t think that a council which would try to stop war would be well seen in the eyes of the players -_- (I agree that having a peaceful religion and some peaceful people around is cool, but not a whole council of guilds...).
The Council is fine, stop comparing it to RL stuff :P.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 12:04:41 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 01:28:14 pm »
Originally posted by Sangwa
Peace between guilds IS NOT a thing we\'re looking for on Planeshift.
I don\'t think that a council which would try to stop war would be well seen in the eyes of the players -_- (I agree that having a peaceful religion and some peaceful people around is cool, but not a whole council of guilds...).
The Council is fine, stop comparing it to RL stuff :P.

lol I don\'t think any council would even be able to stop a war, even if its power was astounding.

I think what really bugs me into the matter is the whole theory of things turning sour within this council and then it starts acting only to benefit itself. Thats one of my biggest problems with joining a council, paranoia ^^

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2004, 02:21:36 pm »
Will the ruling members have the power of veto?
If so, I will be proven right, this council will become a UN and nothing will be accomplished.

Recall the Cold War: nothing was accomplished by the UN, why? Because the US and USSR kept using their veto against each other, as a result nothing came to pass. It was a brilliant waste of time.

I eagerly await when this council becomes like that, for I shall be right, and the council shall fall. On a note, even if every guild joined this council, I\'d go freelance.

- Tyralus Shadowdancer

I like Red Jelly Beans!

Hatchnet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2004, 05:18:21 pm »
Adeli just because the greedy people are the ones with the power in RL does not mean that we have to let them have the power in PS and for those of you who don\'t want to compare to real life then you are going to be some of the worst roleplayers in the game because rp is based on real life while yet it is apart from it this means that it will mimic real life so yes we will have our Hittlers our Binladens our Stalins our Hussains as well as our Washintons our Churchhills our Lincolns and our Elizabeths.

Sorry if I mispellt any of the names

TheRedMonk

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
No...
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2004, 06:12:41 pm »
I have discussed this idea with my friends in Ashes and we have come to the conclusion that this council really is nothing for us. We like to do what we want and have no need for decisions being made for us in any way. Also we don\'t know what benefits we would get from this organisation and from paying taxes that go to helping new guilds. Maybe it is good for other guilds but from the description so far it is obvious that our guild would come out the losers.
Hopefully this organisation will not get in our way but if it does, then so be it...

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 06:14:27 pm by TheRedMonk »