Author Topic: "Secret Service" as a Guild Concept  (Read 1491 times)

Monketh

• Veteran
  • aka GovernmentAgent, CorporateAgent
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
"Secret Service" as a Guild Concept
« on: November 22, 2004, 05:02:24 pm »
I think a secret government agency sounds like a very refreshing guild concept.  However, I don\'t think Mobyus can carry through with it effectively.  I wrote up something to suggest to him, and he might choose to use all or some of it.  It\'s a good idea to get all the bureaucratic pieces of an organization in place before startup.  Kinda like what\'s going on with the RG, everything\'s in place, but no members. :P

It may work better as an organization, not a guild.

The Nialuna Underground

This group, founded by certain militant members of the governing body of Yliakum, uses the most vile and brutal tactics in order to maintain the Government\'s strangle-hold on power in Yliakum.  Disregarding moral standards, and unkown but to a select few higher-up officials, the group pulls funding from a variety of methods, including siphoning off tax money with the blessing of superiors and seizure of property of those believed to be enemies of the state.  The group is not above intimidation by threat, destruction, or even murder.  At times, the group works for the benefit of society, covertly massacreing gangs and militias endangering control and order.  Other times, it enforces nasty policies upon the masses, and peers into their lives.  Members may be part of other organizations, collecting valuable data and secrets for later blackmail.  
  Unseen operatives effect a powerful influence on the day-to-day activities of the populous.  Sometimes, local officials will be \'coerced\', into radically different policy decisions, with no explanation.  People disappear without a trace.  Dissenters close their mouths.  Militias suddenly become stronger.

It is rumored that several highly-esteemed members of Yliakum society are benefactors and agents of the group.  This has not been verified.

Ranks, by priority:
1.) Superior - The executive members of the group, the Superiors control any and all aspects of the guild.  Word of the Superiors is law.
2.) Comittee Member - The Committee is composed of members selected by agreement of the Superiors.  The Identities of Committee Members are secret.
3.) Section Controller - Section Controllers preside over daily operations of each section.
4.) Handler - Handlers are the Vice Presiders of their respective section.  Handlers are responsible for the distribution of information.
5.) Senior Agent - Senior Agents are trusted and have been around longer than a three quarters majority of Agents.
6.) Agent - Agents are the bulk of the organization.
7.) Initiate - Initiates are not verified to be safe yet.  All actions and information given to them take this into account.
8.) Informant - Informants periodically provide information to the group.  They receive information or property in return.

~Organizational Goals~
I. The Government of Yliakum must survive.
II. The Government of Yliakum must not be placed at risk by dangerous persons.
III. The Area of Yliakum must remain stable and ordered.
IV. The Nialuna Underground must survive.

Regulations
-Information is to be given only on a need-to-know basis.
-Unless deemed to be necessary by one of the Comittee Members or a Superior, information from other sections is outside the jurisdiction of all below handlers.
-Members are not permitted to cause harm to other members, except when necessary to maintain cover.

Agenda
The agenda of the group, its\' \"plan\" if you will, will be updated periodically by a superior or committee member (via the committee\'s anonymous forum \'member\'), who will post in a thread dedicated to listing the objectives.  Completed objectives, or objectives whose priority has changed, will have their posts edited.  An example, and the first objective, follows.

Establishment
For the duration, the establishment and organizing of N.U. must take precedence over all other goals.  In order to effectively carry out its\' mission statement, the N.U. must grow and become influential.  
It is recommended that members solicit new sources of trustable information in other organizations.  It is also recommended that members of all levels seek out new prospective members.  
For the duration, members may petition to change Regulations, Priorities (Goals) and/or Guild Organizational Structure.  Three of every four members must voice their support for the petition in order for it to pass.

Respectfully,
The Comittee on Guild Operations

More later...
[Edit] Edit 1. Includes New Regulations and Agenda bit.
[Edit] Edit 2.  Typo removal and clarifications. (See Adeli\'s post)

A\'ight, I need suggestions, comments, and criticisms.
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 05:12:28 pm »
Meh I say no to the whole idea :P My reason is simple we have enough we have enough sneaky defenders of this realm already out there that will use brutal tactics to defend these lands and each of those guilds already are defending themselves and claiming the land for themselves.

Zellgadess

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 05:15:52 pm »
Nice, Sounds Intriguing.
I recond apart from your public figures no one should know who your members are. In order for your member to know some other member you could have small teams. For example, 4 people in the guild are in team \'alpha\', they know who they are and know who the public figures are, the high ranking people know the member of alpha, but say team \'beta\' do not know who is in alpha. that way even if you get spy\'s spying on your spies, only a small amount of information will be gained. hhmmm that might be a little confuzzeling

\"For You, Death Is But A Minor Invonvenience\"

Hatchnet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 05:38:01 pm »
Originally posted by Zellgadess
Nice, Sounds Intriguing.
I recond apart from your public figures no one should know who your members are. In order for your member to know some other member you could have small teams. For example, 4 people in the guild are in team \'alpha\', they know who they are and know who the public figures are, the high ranking people know the member of alpha, but say team \'beta\' do not know who is in alpha. that way even if you get spy\'s spying on your spies, only a small amount of information will be gained. hhmmm that might be a little confuzzeling

verry good you just described counter espionage

Zellgadess

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 05:46:13 pm »
Muahahah, Im Verry Knowlageable In This Type Of \'Establishment\'

Monketh or Mobyus or whoever, I might, maby, possibly, a chance, could join your \"Service\". My Email might, maby, possibly, a chance, could be zellgadess@hotmail.com and you might, maby, possibly, a chance, could email me about the clan that might, maby, possibly, a chance, could exist  ;)
wink wink, Nudge Nudge

..............what??   : D

Myrtl

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 05:55:51 pm »
This is a very interesting idea. I would like to see this follow throught since its so neat. Good luck with this idea!
Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

In-game: Myrtl Shift

Join The Knights Templar at
http://www.freewebs.com/the-knights-templar/

Monketh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 06:52:34 pm »
\'Twould be quite ironic if someone set this up after this thread without my knowledge.  :P

I\'m putting it up as an idea to either refine it, or reject it.

I cannot lead such a group, although I could be very helpful in its\' creation.
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM

Zellgadess

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 07:20:14 pm »
I Would Not Create It, But Could Help Some One By Doin Admin, Say Secuity? : D I mean Maby... :D

Monketh

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 08:11:15 pm »
Originally posted by Zellgadess
I Would Not Create It, But Could Help Some One By Doin Admin, Say Secuity? : D I mean Maby... :D

I\'m aware that you\'re interested by now.
Let\'s hear some other posters. :P

~Monketh

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 03:13:18 am »
Just as the UN comparisons fade away, it\'s time for some Gestapo/.../ ones... *sigh*

Same goal as the protocouncil. Beginning of creation of two factions. Fun.  :D
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 10:05:49 am »
First of all, well... good luck. Others have tried to do this, but every time noone got anywhere. It simply isn\'t possible to set up, and run a stable \"secret service\" kind of thing in a community without a game. You will come as far as to \"what to do?\" part, and you\'ll come to a complete halt as you can\'t define your daily lives, being that you don\'t know anything about what can be done in CB, and if you do, you can\'t tell anyone about it.

Oh well, some questions.

~Organizational Goals~
I. The Government of Yliakum must survive.
II. The Government of Yliakum must not be placed at risk by dangerous persons.
IV. The Nialuna Underground must survive.

You say that you will protect the Government of Yliakum, but let me first ask; do you even know how the Government of Yliakum works? Where the meetings take place? And how exactly are you going to protect it?

As for the third goal, \"The Area of Yliakum must remain stable and ordered\"... How do you expect to achieve this, when I\'m pretty sure you have read and understood the functions of the CB PvP system?

I could ask more, but I\'ll let you chew through that bit first. A word of advice, though. Save it for later. PS simply isn\'t a game enough yet to start up huge organizations that deal with organized crime / anti-crime. You may state that it\'s an RPG, but just because it\'s an RPG, and you\'re supposed to RP, doesn\'t mean the game does not have limitations on what to do. It\'s still just a game. But you guys have fun. And again... Good luck. You\'ll need it. :)
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 12:04:14 pm »
First of all, well... good luck. Others have tried to do this, but every time noone got anywhere. It simply isn\'t possible to set up, and run a stable \"secret service\" kind of thing in a community without a game. You will come as far as to \"what to do?\" part, and you\'ll come to a complete halt as you can\'t define your daily lives, being that you don\'t know anything about what can be done in CB, and if you do, you can\'t tell anyone about it.

Are you sure? Maybe there\'s something like that but it\'s kinda Secret, but maybe there\'s is nothing like that.

You should team up with Annah\'s Council (Would be an advantage for both!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:07:10 pm by Merdarion »
I want to be a flame, to crumble to ash, but never ever burnt.

I want to rise higher, rise up to the heavens, but sink, just sink down deeper and deeper into nothing,

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that ever wants what it wont get.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 12:12:44 pm »
Would be good once the game arrives, but until then pretty pointless other than in theory. Too hard to maintain. The last guild that tried this (Shadowhand) were quickly sorted out ;)

TheRedMonk

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 01:14:13 pm »
They say miracles never happen twice ;)

mobyus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 01:40:17 pm »
You never know

btw, If yu do make this organization, I will support you 100%.

But, I finally made up my own ranks for the DiE, just letting you know. I hope I can finalize it and it may be a lot different than I originally intented. I am gonna post the Details in my thread, but I am willing to support you all the way.
Mobyus (leader of the Dissident Elites)
\"coming to a multiverse near you\"

\"I have seen the top of the mountain! And you shall worship me as though I were a god! *four people come up and fataly attack*   I regret nothing! I lived as few men dared to dream!\"