Author Topic: "The Dancing Blades"  (Read 2227 times)

Phinehas

Re: "The Dancing Blades"
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 06:55:10 pm »
It's sweet, and kind, and good. And takes the quality of the guild waaay down. She's not saying she wouldn't accept a newbie if one seemed promising, she's saying she's not going to go out and invite newbies for the sake of helping them to know the game, etc. etc. etc. Let all the "good" guilds do that...

Kalika

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 07:08:15 pm »
perfect example-wrath of azure....it was more numbers based then anything, and helping newbies is great and all, but i dont want to have a bunch of ps idiots running around and possibly saying stuff that might bring others to think badly of my guild.
I want to have a guild that i can be proud of, not one that has the most people in it.

'she lies with her arms flung out as if to embrace the whole hyancinth-scented, watermelon-colored world.'

Phinehas

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 07:09:09 pm »
I want to have a guild that i can be proud of, not one that has the most people in it.
That is just too rare these days.

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
  • "You can't Squeeze Blood from a stone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 04:58:55 am »
It's sweet, and kind, and good. And takes the quality of the guild waaay down. She's not saying she wouldn't accept a newbie if one seemed promising, she's saying she's not going to go out and invite newbies for the sake of helping them to know the game, etc. etc. etc. Let all the "good" guilds do that...

I agree that if all you do is invite new players, without a focus on the individual person, than yes, this is a problem.
But that's not what i said.

I said,
What's wrong with helping new players.

And no, i didn't specify just "promising" ones which signifies less work on your part....

The best way to go about recruiting new players is "FOCUS".
You focus on one player at a time, show him the rounds, teach him 90% of the game, give him some tria, a rock Pick, and show him on his way.

Than you keep in communication with him, and if they have any questions, you go ahead and answer them.
It's also best to provide an online forum where everyone can get together and have discussions, learning from each other.

This way you FOCUS your help to a certain person, rather than randomly inviting new players.

And as for the Wrath of Azure, I didn't see them randomly inviting new players, so i don't know what your problem was with that guild Kalika.

We all agree, inviting as many players as you can is wrong.

But that doesn't mean Periodically helping specific people out, and focusing your attention on them, is bad in any way. Actually i feel this is the duty of every Planeshifter, to carry this practice out atleast once.

Ohh and don't go complaining it's hard, because it really isn't, sure it takes effort, but not as much effort and time as some people spend on these forums ;)

It takes me an average of 20 minutes to get a player up to speed, and teach them 90% of planeshift.
I've also happily given away hundreds of thousands of tria in this cause.

To say it hinders a guild to train new players and help them out, means to not understand the benefit of such an endeavor.

~~Datruth
Truth To Disbelief

Quote from: svuun
I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 11:19:25 am »
You know it is possible to help a player without inviting them into your guild.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Kalika

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 03:34:26 pm »

I agree that if all you do is invite new players, without a focus on the individual person, than yes, this is a problem.

I said,

And no, i didn't specify just "promising" ones which signifies less work on your part....

The best way to go about recruiting new players is "FOCUS".
You focus on one player at a time, show him the rounds, teach him 90% of the game, give him some tria, a rock Pick, and show him on his way.

Than you keep in communication with him, and if they have any questions, you go ahead and answer them.
It's also best to provide an online forum where everyone can get together and have discussions, learning from each other.

This way you FOCUS your help to a certain person, rather than randomly inviting new players.

And as for the Wrath of Azure, I didn't see them randomly inviting new players, so i don't know what your problem was with that guild Kalika.

We all agree, inviting as many players as you can is wrong.

But that doesn't mean Periodically helping specific people out, and focusing your attention on them, is bad in any way. Actually i feel this is the duty of every Planeshifter, to carry this practice out atleast once.

Ohh and don't go complaining it's hard, because it really isn't, sure it takes effort, but not as much effort and time as some people spend on these forums ;)

It takes me an average of 20 minutes to get a player up to speed, and teach them 90% of planeshift.
I've also happily given away hundreds of thousands of tria in this cause.

To say it hinders a guild to train new players and help them out, means to not understand the benefit of such an endeavor.

~~Datruth

uhm ok Datruth, there is nothing wrong with helping new players. I in fact have helped as many new players as i could, showing them where and what to mine, telling them what to train depending on what they wanted to be or accomplish, giving them advicce adn buying armor and weapons for them, not to mention giving them tria. There is nothing wrong with helping newbies

however, in a guild such as this the newer members are going to need to have some sort of idea what roleplaying is. I in all complete honesty, am willing to invite a newbie into my guild if i see some promise in them, but if they are tehy type that goes "OMGZ!! i have fur ahahahahah! im gonna eat your babiez and challenge you to a duel because my guild rocxssss" then no. no way in all of dantes infernal would this person EVER be allowed into my guild unless they showed a dramatic change in personality. I want my guild to be respected and to be respectful.

I have no problems with Wrath of Azure. im jsut syaing that when my boy Serrilice was new he was pretty much automatically invited without anyone saying muhc to him. I personally saw that as him being a number, but he saw it as beiong accepted. i have no problems with anything that makes my boy happy :D. But int he end it didnt siurvive, thats why i used it as an example. if i had been personally affiliated with another guild with a similar background i wuld have used it. see, nothing personal.

and the rest of what you say i jsut see as a personal interpretation that works for you. i dont want to have another Elemental Light. i want to have my own guild (well not mine, but i mean a different one). i want to have people join that are worthy of it or expres ad esire to be a part of it. so far as my alt i ahve been looking around and ive only found one person so far that seems to be a good match. not trying to be picky but i want to make something out of this guild and not just have it be another guild.

'she lies with her arms flung out as if to embrace the whole hyancinth-scented, watermelon-colored world.'

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 03:37:16 pm »
Here here!  \\o//

* Parallo likes this idea more and more with each post!

I cringed when I read the name first though :P
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Jackdaw

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 04:08:25 pm »
Having read these forums for a while I notice how often a discussion about a particular guild turns in to an ideological discussion of what planeshift should be.

When I first began everyone recommended looking through the forums to find a guild. The problem is that you don't find out much about them, mostly just what appears to be a fight between two factions about what a guild should be.

I don't see why there should be a problem having guilds that seem to enjoy helping beginners and guilds that are heavily in to role play. What would help are discussions on what is involved in participating in a particular guild. As a new player I might really be looking for somone to help me. As an experienced player having done some roleplay I might like to move on to a guild that involves a lot more role play.

To get back on subject I would be much more interested in hearing how The Dancing Blades envision role play as part of their guild then an old ongoing argument that seems to be in every every thread.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 05:15:52 pm »
Thats a nice first post!  :thumbup:

What I notice though is a fight over what the ideal for that particular guild should be. I see many guilds claiming they can do what others can't and thats exclusivly exist to help newcomers. So many have tried and failed. The fact also is that all guilds should be RP orientated. Helping new comers is a very important thing but thats down to the individual players and not a guild.

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 07:14:25 pm »
I see what you mean, this guild is designed for players who have already proved themselves, and have shown an interest.

I don't fully understand this interest, being that the fighting animations are the same, and nothing you do really changes them.

But yes, i see what you mean, and i understand why helping new players might be a bit of a burden if done often.

I must comment though, The Wrath of Azure, didn't die because it got overpopulated, or even that it invited alot of people, because in fact it didn't.

It died because of 2 people, Calthos and Gisera, who took over the guild and Calthos went ahead and renamed it.

It's a long story, but basically, it would still be here, had Calthos not changed the guild name without asking for permission, as well as booting out 90% of the players.

~~Datruth
Truth To Disbelief

I adopt Karyuu.  She might not be new but her skin is so supple, soft and n00b like....  :sweatdrop:

Phinehas

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 07:33:26 pm »

I said,
Well, if you want to play that game, no one actually said there was anything wrong with helping new players... Also, in reference to your last post. What killed the Wrath of Azure has nothing, I'm going to say it again for clarification, NOTHING to do with this thread.

@Jackdaw: A lot of what you said makes a lot of sense. I think it's because a lot of people feel that guilds as a general rule should be one way or the other. You're right though, the guild threads should concentrate on the guild itself, not on guilds in general. On a similar note, don't confuse arguments over ideology with arguments over quality. I'm in a lot of arguments about quality, but I don't really care what the guild does, as long as they do it well. Also, you could contribute to putting this thread back on topic by asking questions, as opposed to just inserting your two cents about how guild threads should be more focused.

Datruth

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 08:09:51 pm »
I have no problems with Wrath of Azure. im jsut syaing that when my boy Serrilice was new he was pretty much automatically invited without anyone saying muhc to him. I personally saw that as him being a number, but he saw it as beiong accepted. i have no problems with anything that makes my boy happy Cheesy. But int he end it didnt siurvive, thats why i used it as an example. if i had been personally affiliated with another guild with a similar background i wuld have used it. see, nothing personal.

Well, if you want to play that game, no one actually said there was anything wrong with helping new players... Also, in reference to your last post. What killed the Wrath of Azure has nothing, I'm going to say it again for clarification, NOTHING to do with this thread.

I agree that it has nothing to do with this thread, but it wasn't brought up by me phin ;)

And you were right when you said I should discuss this guild more than the idea of Guilds themselves.

I like the guild, as well as liking the guild leader :thumbup:
The only comment i would make would be that i hope the devs add more fighting animations, and that they allow players to change their animations, depending on thier circumstances.

That would allow this Guild to shine like none other.
I wish you the best of luck with it my dear Kalika. :D
If you need anything at all to get it started, be it any chores, money, or time, i'm here for you.

Yours Truly,
~~Datruth
Truth To Disbelief

Kalika

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2006, 08:26:22 pm »
@Datruth-i have no idea about the personal stuff involved in Wrath of Azure. i jsut knew that it invited a lot of newbies. thats it. I agree with Phineas in that the topic has nothing to do with this thread and i plan on saying nothing more about it. *hugs* thanks for thinking im awesome though tee hee hee  :flowers:

@Jackdaw-i agree with Parello, very good first post  :thumbup: anywho, this idea hasnt been completely thought out, not every detail is known in my head. In all honesty i wasnt sure if i wanted to do this. but the more i play as my character (might as well mention she is Kavre Molassa) the more i feel the idea of the guild deepening in her and working with her actions. The idea of role-play in this guild will be somewhat simple but not overly. In one of my previous posts i mentioned that i visionsed this as one of those martial art/artsy movies (along the lines of crouching tiger, and Hero etc...) but instead of the thematic elements i was wanting to concentrate on the character. Another vision i had in my mind was ballet. Where it was elegant and introspective, and the dancers were self-aware and, oh i dont know if this is the right word, disciplined?
For example-the other day i was fighting a trepor and then had someone calling me "honey" though i did not know them, they said they would give me a trepor if i gave them a kiss. If i had been Kalika i prolly would have laughed and given them a kiss on the cheek. However, as Kavre i simply said "i dont know you, dont call me honey, and i cannot give you a kiss." then i licked my blades, smiled, and walked out of the room where the other person was in. Thats just the readers digest version. When i speak of role play in the guild i mean to ahve a character defined by who they are and their actions. I dont want to say "you can do this but you cannot do this" i also dont want to define jsut what a character can say or do. im looking more at the personality and their actions and whether or not they can play the role of a dancer/fighter. A person can be outgoing or melancholy, they dont have to be hardcore rp-ers who walk around the plaza with "so and so twists their blade around, watching others, and does a little dance etc...." sorry to repeat myself but i want to amke sure that this is known, i am about the character themself. Which is why i find it important that they have some degree of artistry in their soul and are relatively disciplined enough to be who they are without stomping on others.

if this makes no sense im sorry. ahahah i have a tendency to do that ;)
also if you ahve any more questions ill be glad to speak of them, because as each day goes i gain more insight into the development of the guild and any comments and somewhat-nice  (im sensitive i sorrys :P) criticism would be much appreciated. im trying to make this a reality for the game and not jsut an ideal thing in my head.  :flowers:

Phinehas

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 08:32:52 pm »
Hmm... Sounds like a Sword-oriented Ashes.

Sorry, I compare everything to Ashes. They ruled.

Kalika

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »
 :-[ oh wow...i just looked at it and ....i didnt mean to copies, i didnt know it was there :/

i have to say though, the website is exquisitely done. i was looking at the characters and the ranks and my jaw jsut went  :o :love:....the care and attention to detail along with the aesthetic presentation....i can see why you like them so much :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 02:31:23 pm by Kalika »