Author Topic: [GUILD] Explorers  (Read 9422 times)

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
[GUILD] Explorers
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:57:30 pm »
Explorers Guild

Overview
The Explorers Guild is a gathering of people from all over Yliakum who love to seek out new and hidden places, to reach new heights and depths—people who desire to travel and see every detail of our world. We stand together to ensure the freedom of this journey, for each other and for all those living with a true spirit of exploration. The solitary soul can find shelter with our Guild, yet there is friendship and fun for those who seek it, and if you are ever lost or need a guide, look no further than the Explorers Guild.
In short, we’re here to see the world and have a blast doing it—together!

History
The Explorers Guild is one of the oldest active guilds in Yliakum.  It was founded on May 11, 2003 by Havena Tanuviel.  After Havena left for the ultimate exploration adventure, to reach the surface, Nilaya Kaeli led the guild until 2007 when she turned leadership over to Mordaan Thakkar.

The Explorers Guild is a true neutral guild, not only in alignment but also with regards to all other guilds in the realms of PlaneShift.

Politics
Unlike many guilds, Explorers will not be given a rank nor duties. You will take orders from no one. That's right—we have no ranks. Explorers are expected to be independent and able to take up challenges on their own—not for the sake of an artificial title, but because it's a part of who they are.

Instead of ranks, the guild is split into several Folds. A fold is a group of Explorers with shared interests, beyond the general bond and goals of all Explorers. Each fold has one or more overseers, who cast the vision for the fold's purpose, and care for its members. New Explorers are free to choose a fold immediately. However, if uncertain, we recommend the Scouts Fold: it provides a wonderful opportunity to become familiar with the land and discover exactly what your interests are. Explorers are free to change folds at any time, though most pick one and stick with that choice.

Folds
  • Wanderers - Recruits awaiting full membership
  • Scouts - Teachers and masters of terrain
  • DepthSeekers - Treasure Hunters and Archaeologists
  • Starlight Hunters - Lightfooted Hunters who live for the chase
  • StrongArm - Warriors of the true nature
  • Artisans - Skilled Craftsmen
  • Valiant Wing - Protecting and healing those in danger

Click here to learn more about each fold

A list of guild responsibilities can be found here.

Other information
For further elaboration on what is above, please visit the following
Forum (explorer camp): http://camp.explorersguild.org/
Information about joining: http://www.explorersguild.org/joining/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:27:45 pm by Mordaan »
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
Re: [GUILD] Explorers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 01:46:14 am »
As perfect as ever.

I have to disagree with the alignment thingy then. No alignments in PS. What? I hate them.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 11:47:45 am »
[bump] ... because it's been too long.   :)

Oh, and we are in the process of coming up with new ranks.  So there, now a legit reason.   :D

fireofsoul

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 08:35:59 pm »
Hmm, are the new ranks up yet?

hitancrias

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:41:35 am »
Nope, but instead our forums and website are down. ;) Temporary of course, there are some problems with the host.

Nice to see you passing through this realm again Fossie!
Hitancrias. Herbalist. Explorer.

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Wibble myself: 17years I was gone, give or take
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:30:46 pm »
But PS mechanics doesn't use Folds ;) so it's called rank within the guild menu (me guesses).
Slip of the tongue  :P
 :lol: :flowers:

hitancrias

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 05:49:39 pm »
Excuse me if I've missed something Moordan, but doesn't this talk of creating new ranks conflict with "Explorers will not be given a rank nor duties" and "That's right—we have no ranks"?

I hope Mordaan doesn't mind me answering that question. ;)
First of all, these lines probably need to be rewritten when we implement the new rank system.
Further more: Socius is right. Currently the rank system is used to indicate what fold an explorer is part of, so rank 3 is not higher or more important than rank 9. Rank one is used for the guild leader (Mordaan) and rank 2 is used for the fold overseers who do some practical things like recruitment and who look after their fold members. We are a non-hierarchical guild, so there is no "command structure" and it will stay that way when the new ranks get implemented.

What will change is that the new ranks will reflect the knowledge one has about the world, rather than which fold an explorer is part of. As soon as multi dimensional ranking (or whatever it's called :)) gets implemented, the fold tags will probably be added back in. The old ranking system stemmed from a time where you could know everything there is to know in a month or so. Right now this obviously is not the case and it is only practical when its clear what kind of knowledge a specific (fellow) explorer has to offer. The requirements for the new ranks will be fold specific and will also offer (new) explorers some suggestions about how they can progress in becoming an independent and knowledgeable explorer. The exact requirements are still subject of internal discussion, so I can't disclose more about that.

I hope this answers your question :)
Hitancrias. Herbalist. Explorer.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:51:05 pm »
Very well said, Hitancrias.  And yes, some of these things will need to be amended as a result of these changes.  However, ranks of this sort are not unprecidented for Explorers.  If you look now (as mentioned our website is down for a host change but we currently have a retro version) you can see the way things used to be in the beginning (long before I came around).
[links removed because the site has been restored]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:11:28 am by Mordaan »

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 03:58:50 pm »
First of all, these lines probably need to be rewritten when we implement the new rank system.
Further more: Socius is right. Currently the rank system is used to indicate what fold an explorer is part of, so rank 3 is not higher or more important than rank 9. Rank one is used for the guild leader (Mordaan) and rank 2 is used for the fold overseers who do some practical things like recruitment and who look after their fold members. We are a non-hierarchical guild, so there is no "command structure" and it will stay that way when the new ranks get implemented.

Hierarchy: any system of persons or things ranked one above another.

If you have a guild leader, overseers and then other ranks... You have a hierarchy. It's as simple as that.

For me a guild without ranks is a guild that has all ranks named equally (even if there is hierarchy.) This is because you would not be using the rank system to divide people into differently named ranks (which could refer to hierarchy or function.) I think the explorers have both ranks and hierarchy. This referring to the current information displayed around here.
Looking forward to see what will change.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 04:01:17 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 07:01:35 pm »
Right Sangwa, at present we do have a hierarchy, with a leader and the different folds, each with one (sometimes two) overseers.  But to me a ranking system defines that hierarchy.  To use a military example, a captain would be greater than a sergeant, a general would be greater than a captain...etc.  That's what it means to outrank someone.  The different folds represent different interests.  One is not greater than another.

For me a guild without ranks is a guild that has all ranks named equally

If by that you mean "of equal status" then that's exactly what we currently have.

Those ranks on the throwback site are much more along a traditional ranking system.  What we are contemplating now will return to such a system.  Achieving a rank will measure more of a progression in the game: skill levels, quest prerequisites, etc.  Besides the guild window mechanics encourage rankings of some sort, even if they are not rankings by this definition.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 08:38:36 am »

This is what rank means in PS. This because ranks in a guild can have the same hierarchical position or the same function. To nullify the rank system one would have to make sure there would really be no ranks (i.e. your guild would have all ranks named "Explorer" despite of possessing a hierarchy or not.)

You may call your ranks folds, but they are ranks anyway. Ranks don't have to necessarily indicate hierarchy, that's all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:25:13 pm by Sangwa »

Join the Dark Empire!

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 03:46:21 pm »
Ranks don't have to necessarily indicate hierarchy, that's all I'm saying.

True, they don't have to but they usually do.  Perhaps instead of "we have no ranks" it should instead state "we have no ranks in a traditional sense."

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 09:47:37 pm »
Or "we have no hierarchy", or "we adopt a very simple organization" or "we divide people this way." I'm not sure... Probably there is someone out there with better ideas about wording than me :D. I lost all my imagination to the Dark Empire. And it wasn't nearly enough.

Join the Dark Empire!

Nadius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 01:21:23 am »
This guild is great.

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 08:01:58 am »
Personally i agree with the above notion. Also i might only be agreing to him because he has Nine Inch Nails mentioned in his sig.
Still far as I've seen the explorers bring it with a bit.
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?