Author Topic: [GUILD] Nomothetes  (Read 5210 times)

odisseo

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • http://www.principeodisseo.blogspot.com/
[GUILD] Nomothetes
« on: April 20, 2007, 12:12:58 pm »
    • leaders_______ mohero

starg
      brounor
      zarre
      ragnarin
      vizanti
      felanha
      shangshi

odisseo

Nomothetes
    History of Nomethetes
    According to tradition, in the Second Era, Talad and Laanx prayed to Vodùl in order to lure to Yliakum races belonging to other gods. The name of the city, Yliakum, was derived from an inscription found in the Stone Labyrinths. The ancestors of the first Nomothetes come from a distant land in the Ionian Sea. They were lured to Yliakum by a warm wind that brought to them the melodic and enchanting prayer of Talad and Laanx. These ancestors have left a stone tablet with an inscription in their alphabet: νομοθέτης. It is widely held that this word means legislators, those who give the law. The original laws from those who came from Ionia have not survived in any manuscript form. However the harmony of the prayer that lured those from Ionia is still played today and it's air played with musical instruments.

Histoire des Nomethetes
    Selon la tradition, à la deuxième ère, Talad and Laanx prièrent à Vodùl afin d'attirer vers les terres de Yliakum des peuples qui vivaient sous le regard d'autres dieux. Le nom Yliakum vient d'une inscription trouvée dans les labyrinthes creusés dans la pierre. Les ancêtres des premiers Nomothetes sont venus d'une terre lointaine qui se trouve en un lieu incertain de la mer ionienne. Ils virent à Yliakum attirés comme ils le furent par un vent doux qui portait avec lui la prière mélodique de Talad et Laanx. Ces ancêtres laissèrent une tablette sur laquelle est inscrit : νομοθέτης. Plusieurs soutiennent que ce mot veut dire législateurs, ceux qui donnent la loi. Les lois d'origine, celle des ioniens, n'ont survécu en aucune forme manuscrite. Par contre, l'harmonie de la prière qui autrefois attira les ioniens vers ces terres est joué sur des instruments par les musiciens.

Die Geschichte der Nomotheten
    Gemäß der Tradition beteten Talad und Laanx in der zweiten Ära zu Vodùl, um andere Rassen, welche anderen Göttern angehörten, nach Yliakum zu locken. Der Name der Stadt, Yliakum, wurde von einer in den Steinlabyrinthen gefundenen Inschrift abgeleitet. Die Vorfahren der ersten Nomotheten kamen von einem entfernten Land im ionianischem Meer. Sie wurden durch einen warmen Wind nach Yliakum geführt, welcher ihnen ebenfalls die melodische und zauberhafte Botschaft von Talad und Laanx überbrachte. Diese Vorfahren hatten eine kleine Steinplatte mit der Inschrift "νομοθέτης" zurückgelassen. Es ist weitgehend bekannt, dass dieses Wort "Legislatoren" bedeutet, das sind jene Personen, die die Gesetze geben. Die Originalgesetze von denen, die von Ionia gekommen waren, gingen verloren. Dennoch... die Harmonie der Botschaft, welche die Vorfahren von Ionia nach Yliakum geführt hat wird auch heute noch verkündet.

(source: http://nomothetes.game-host.org)

• status_______ public
    First Constitution of the Nomothetes

Enacted by a vote of the Prince, Ministers, Aristocrats and Emeriti. The authority of the presently enacted constitution is second to that of revealed Divine Law.

Principles
    • The Nomothetes is a non-hereditary republican Principality.
    • Positions are open to all in equal opportunity.
    • All benefit from natural resources according to Natural Law.
    • The symbol of the Nomothetes is the inscription found on the stone tablet.
    • Those who contract to the present Constitution are members of the Nomothetes.

Positions
    Public legislators:
    • Prince
    • Minister
    • Aristocrat

Retired legislators:
    • Emeritus

Intermediary body:
    • Elite Swordman
    • Elite Tradesman
    • Swordman
    • Tradesman

Initial position:
    • Populace

Descriptions of positions
    The populace is the position of each newly contracted member. They will choose to become either a Tradesman or a Swordsman. This does not exclude a Tradesman from fighting just as it does not exclude a Swordsman from trading.

Elite Tradesmen and Tradesmen are also merchants. Their virtue is temperance. Their economic activites are conditioned to the Economic charter.

Elite Swordsmen and Swordsmen compose the militia. They execute the orders of the legislators and are armed for the defence of the Principality. Their virtue is courage.

Both Elite levels, Elite Tradesman and Elite Swordsman are in charge of training the Tradesmen and the Swordsmen respectively. The Elite levels decide on an educational plan for their apprentices. These four levels will be known as the Intermediary body. Although they hold legislative powers over their trade, they do not over the political organisation of the Nomothetes.

Aristocrats will execute the orders of the Ministers, the Ministers those of the Prince. The Constitution prevents possible future forms of despotism, by seperating legislative and executive powers. The Prince, Ministers and Aristocrats are in charge of informing and taking care of the Populace.

The Emeriti will be allowed to retire from active legislative functions and work on their skills or complete a mission. In the absence of the Prince, the Emeriti have the highest position in the Nomothetes. Litigation between two or more members of the Emeriti is resolved by a simple majority vote.

Points system
    The Prince, Minister and Aristocrats will be in charge of evaluating the progress of both the Elite levels and that of the Populace. The Elite levels will be in charge of evaluation the progress of the Tradesmen and Swordsmen.

In order to do so, an informal points system is enacted. This system will serve as a memory, a way to remind ourselves of the good things done. After a promotion, the number of points is zero.

Economic charter
    Economic transactions of those skilled in trades are subject to no tax.

(source: http://nomothetes.game-host.org)

• voted_______ April 29, 2007

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:40:50 pm by odisseo »

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
      • View Profile
    Re: [GUILD] Nomothetes
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 04:11:52 pm »
    Question, so whats the point of the guild? Why would anyone want to join it? And kinda expanding on the first question, what is its goal?

Raleigh

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:16:08 pm »
    Question, so whats the point of the guild? Why would anyone want to join it? And kinda expanding on the first question, what is its goal?

I'm afraid the answer to this question is classified:

status_______ secret

Not sure if this is a good idea though. If you want to keep its purpose and structure completely secret both IC and OOC, then this is not the place for promoting it, the place for doing it(with precautions of course) is the game itself.

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
    • Wibble myself: 17years I was gone, give or take
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 04:16:08 pm »
    Yes a bit more information would help... all i can see now is that they (maybe) play flute....
    Not only goals [/me prays: Don't say "We protect the weak"], but also a bit about the ranks  ;) and maybe a bigger "Guild story"/"history", and some reasons, if there is no reason to join/ to expend the guild, then why would anyone join  ;)
    I wish you good luck! :flowers:

odisseo

• Traveller
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:12:03 am »

Official Notice from the Nomothetes
    Thank you for the interest expressed in the Nomothetes. As many of you have rightfully expressed, the reason why someone would decide to join us is not at first hand of the greatest evidence. To dissipate some incomprehension, I have made public the First Constitution of the Nomothetes, voted in majority by three Ministers and myself on April 29, 2007.

As our ranks are fast growing, I will elude the question as to why anyone would join. It is true we have remained secret thus far. This has made us grow attached to peaceful activities. The matter of becoming fully public will be of interest to our legislative members in the near future. In the mean time, I and my three Ministers will extend our research activites to diplomatic affairs.

Prince Odisseo

odisseo

• Traveller
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 06:17:14 am »
    status_______ public

odisseo

• Traveller
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 11:50:04 pm »

On August 12, 2007, an important guild meeting was held at the Derghir village. In conformity with our Constitution and in the presence of those assembled, I confered upon Mohero the title of Prince. All acclaimed the new Prince of the Nomothetes.

Mohero created seven Minister positions where before there were only three. Along with other promotions, I was given the title of Emeritus. As a retired member of the legislative body, I will continue to assist the Nomothetes with its current and future objectives.

Odisseo
    Emeritus, First Prince of the Nomothetes (retired)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:52:23 pm by odisseo »

odisseo

• Traveller
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 03:36:22 pm »

At the same time as publishing a revised Constititution, we will in the near future be launching our official guild images. There will likely be emblems, drawings and coins. This silver and gold test coin might also be available in bronze, gold, pink gold and an unknown green metal.

We are also working on extending our diplomatic relations. Keep an eye posted here for updates.

Odisseo
    Emeritus, First Prince of the Nomothetes (retired)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 07:11:45 pm by odisseo »

jphillipps

• Wayfarer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 01:20:08 am »
    i just joined the guild........how do I get on the guild website?

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 01:28:13 pm »
    Its been a while since I last asked this.... But whats the point in joining this guild?... Whats the long term goal?... To me it just looks like a social party, all you really have stated is the origon of the name.

I don't see any IC reason for anyone to join a guild without a cause. :-\

odisseo

• Traveller
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 02:22:19 pm »

Why would anyone want to join a successful guild with great members and just principles? Everyone has their reasons to join and stay with the Nomothetes. I do not claim to be able to list these reasons. Much of what we plan for and enjoy happens in good company. Not all of it can be published. We are a very successful guild. The proof is in the result.

If you want to know more about the Nomothetes and the plans we have, I suggest you talk to our members. Each will have a unique story to tell.

Odisseo

Velh Krome

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 03:24:28 pm »
    Now that makes me curious...
    We are a very successful guild. The proof is in the result.
    Successful in what? Growing members?

Each will have a unique story to tell.
    So many unguilded individuals did I met so far.

Garile

• Hydlaa Notable
    • Some people forget it's a game.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 01:28:19 pm »
    hmmm just the number of members is hardly proof one is succesfull.
    It only proofs you are able to recruit people, not if you can actually keep them or actually make a difference as a guild exept having many people wear your tag.
    « Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 01:30:32 pm by Garile »
    Join the oldest cause.
    Characters: Meriner(dead), Garile(dead), Yayelle, Ruicho, Almada

jphillipps

• Wayfarer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 02:20:50 am »
    I'll give you an example. When I first started Planeshift, I was new, foreign and generally looked down upon as being a total noob. But, I happened to go to one of the guild members and ask if he had any spare change to help me buy an rock pick to start my mining career. He responded by giving me 1000 tria and asking nothing in return. I thanked him, bought the pick, and started my life. I might add that there was no recruiting on his part.
    A few days later, I was searching around for a guild, and I believe I told a few people. The same previous player sent me a /tell asking if I would be interested in their guild. When he described it and its general atmosphere, I decided to join. When I first entered the guild chat, I was welcomed by at least 15 players. I proceeded to ask many dumb questions about the game (for I am a noob as you may remember  ;D ). They answered them all as they were able and didn't flame me at all.
    I was impressed by the guild when I first joined it and still am. Even the guild leader was kind enough to answer questions that I had.
    Success may not be shown in numbers, but it is shown through stories like mine. And I'm not the only one. As Odisseo said, just ask my fellow guild members. I'm sure they all have a story similar to mine.

Valoram Kryton

PS. If you see me in game, feel free to stop and talk or just say hi  :)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 05:17:03 am »
    This guild sounds pretty good. The structure is fun and simple and one can get the feeling of what kind of people are in it. Or should be in, since we can't be sure (there doesn't seem to be a recruiting policy.)

Earl's kinda right when he says there's not any special purpose in joining the guild. We can't see aspirations, we can't see objectives and we can't see rewards, other than being happily around a happy bunch of well organized fellows. And that might be reason enough for many people to join.
    Purpose has little to do with it though.

As does Member Count. What JPhillipps described happened when he joined the Nemothetes guild is what would have happened in most guilds around PS, be they role-playing or not. That's because 1000 tria is nothing and members are always taken in with wide open arms since most people believe the more the merrier. They are usually right too.
    But that's when more means better or as good. Recruiting incessantly without caring for member skills, member orientation, etc., will get you a guild of people that walk around doing their own stuff instead of focusing any attention to guild stuff. And what good is a guild if you don't act like a guild?
    I'm not saying that's what happens in your guild though. Just saying that in order to claim you are successful you should mention other stuff, like your degree of activity, the help your guild gives to making role-playing more fun, how people who join your guild are good community participating members, how your guild members work together, etc.
    Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!