Author Topic: The Azure Circus  (Read 2346 times)

Acuzio

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Forum of "The Azure Circus" Guild
The Azure Circus
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:20:46 am »
"[GUILD]The Azure Circus"

I am a traveling merchant and I go by the name of Acuzio Abdiel [sharp servant of God], in my travels I've encountered numerous jumping dwarves, gliding klyros, butter made krans, back alley magicians and wannabe daredevils. That inspired me to create "The Azure Circus" and hire some of those persons, yes hire , every guild member gets a salary weekly depending on guild points and job.
The role of this guild is to entertain others in any form posible, you can be a clown, mime, juggler, musician, acrobat/gymnast, strongman magician/illusionist or entirely something else as long as you entertain, you're on the payrole.

It is needless to say that charisma is a strong factor for any of this arts, the most charismatic members will be elected Staff or PR person, we at The Azure Circus also elect our managers, three or four managers that have a month lasting mandate. If you want to share the world your creativity, ask yourself these questions, and see where you fit.

Do you posses the ability to be a clown, mime, juggler, musician or other type of small time entertainer?
-Be a street performer !

You are not affraid of heights and you think you can fly?
You can run fast or you know shortcuts?
You chase imaginary rats just to keep fit?
-Be a flow artist in our ranks !

You are almost as tall as an ulbernaut?
You can launch a klyros into the Azure sun with only one hand if you want to?
You eat diamonds for desert?
You can fight bare-handed with an army of tefusangs and not even recive a scratch?
-Be one of our strongmen !

You know some impressive spells that may look amazing to a dwarf?
Your hand is quicker than an enkidukai's eye?
-Be a circus magician !

You accept duels even if you know you don't stand a chance?
You jump off high cliffs even if there's no pool to land in, just a field of charmflowers?
You engage several ulbernauts even if you are cursed by Dakkru?
Are you a pyromaniac or you just like creating sparks with your daggers before throwing them at a target?
-Become a daredevil !

Are you a diaboli?
You think you have the power to gain others trust?
You have good persuasion/intimidation skills?
You keep account of transactions you make?
-Be the team boatswain !

Are you a female diaboli?
You are proud of your ideas, and very good at expressing them to others smoothly?
Your thinking is creative?
You tend to entertain others with your conversation; and your sense of humor (and of mischief!)?
-Join the PR department !

Guild Ranks:
1.Street Performer
2.Flow Artist
3.Strongman
4.Magician
5.Daredevil
6.Staff or PR person
7.Honorific Member
8.Circus Manager
9.Circus Owner

{OOC:

Recruiting:

If you don't find yourself here, don't apply.

0: Legal disclaimer

You are atleast 18 years old, mature content may occasionally appear in the guild chat.
{[(the circus elephant takes a s**t or the fenki acrobat licks her ...ehem ... tail fur.)]}

1.0: Background (All)

Respect for the Game Master team, the developers of Planeshift and other players;
Ability to do decent role-playing in main chat;

1.1: Background (Classes I & II)

At least one month old in Yliakum;
At least 48 hours per week spent in Yliakum;
Tendency to be popular and sociable and/or to entertain others;
Good roleplay.

2: Circus commitment
Background +

Availability for guild events and shows (once every two months for now);
Dedication to your new profesion;
Respect for the circus managers, honorific members and other guild mates;
Also you should practice roleplay specific to your job.

Street performers
Jobs:
Clown, mime, juggler, musician and other type of small time entertainer.
Earn/Lose GP by getting good (/bad) reviews from the audience (PRps make polls and statistics.)
Salary:
1Tria x GP per week*
Bonus:
Trias from the street audience stays in your pockets.

Class II
Flow Artist; Strongman; Magician.
Earn/Lose GP by participating(/or not) in guild events.
Earn GP by making donations

Salary:
1Hexa x GP per week*

Descriptions:

Flow Artist.
Enkidukai and Nolthrir and maybe Klyros are better but other races are accepted. Agility is needed.
Essentially an acrobat or gymnast, you have to deal with heights and motion.

Strongman.
Kran, Ynnwn and Dwarves of clan StoneBreaker are better but other races are accepted. Strenght is needed.
I think the title is self-explanatory but I must mention that some skill in melee combat is needed also.

Magician.
Xacha are preferred but any race with high magic skills and/or agility is accepted.
You need to perform magic acts, impressive to the eye, not necessarily magic, agility can be used instead.

Class I
Daredevil; Staff and PR person.

Salary:
1Octa x GP per week*

Descriptions:

Daredevil.
A person who excels in one or more of the Class II jobs (50GP in Class II to apply) or can perform special or unique acts. (Stuntman; Knife Thrower; Flame Handler; Beast Tamer)
Earn/Lose GP by participating(/or not) in guild events.
Earn extra GP or Percent of income for every event

Staff or PR person.
More ingame time required
High charisma and/or persuasion skill is needed.
Bonus: Can't lose GP

Diaboli females only for Public Relations (PR).
As a PR person you must advertise our circus and give informations regarding it and it's shows.
Earn GP depending on the audience present at events.
Earn extra GP or Percent of income for every event.

Diaboli only (both genders) for Staff manager.
As a staff manager you must mediate between artists and the council also keep rosters for circus members and ledgers for the circus.
Earn GP depending on the audience present at events.
Bonus: Reduced prices in the circus market from sponsors.

Honorific member
We look out for our retired members this is the rank they get after retirement. Also the honorific rank is given to sponsors or external help.

Circus Manager.

Salary:
1Circle x GP** per week*

Descriptions:

At the beginning of every month three managers are elected from the Class I as following:
1 Daredevil (or two if first two elected are klyros and the budget allows)
1 Staff manager (or two if lack of members)
1 PR person (or two if low budget)

Applications can be made here:

http://tac.myfanforum.org

or ingame (after 15.02.09) via " /tell Acuzio About the circus"

*NOTE.
You will recive your salary only if you gather 24+ hours total per week in your roster.You can find a roster to sign in with a staff person, a manager or with the owner himself.

**(staff & PR GP will be saved when becoming a manager and restored when the month ends, same for manager GP earned)
}

{
[
"For thread readers: When critiquing, try to be more encouraging and less negative. Promote creativity!"

The guild is curently raising funds so the salaries won't be available until 15.03.09 (members can still join)
The guild forum is still under construction it will be complete until 15.03.09 (the registering works)
The guild name is somehow related to the famous "Circus of the Sun" the Azure sun being the source of illumination in Yliakum
The guild is active but furtiveness is applied until it gets sufficient members for a basic show.
(Check out this cool word  :thumbup: ) Donate a tria if you liked it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:43:07 am by Acuzio »
The circus owner.

Nykolai Raskaniov

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: The Azure Circus
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:29:29 am »
Well other than the requirement for many hours in game per week, which some may not be able to do, the idea is great. You may need to tweak some OOC things here and there in the original announcement, but I'm sure you can pull it off.

:thumbup:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:15:12 am by Nykolai Raskaniov »
"Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face."

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 03:01:26 pm »
That guild sounds actually very nice, specially in the spirit.
Even better if it's itinerant, like circuses of the past. And you could add animal shows; freaks; maybe do something with familiars... ?
Good luck, and I hope I'll see a show IG some day.

Anumesa

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 03:30:13 pm »
I think this is a very cool idea and encourages the creation of some very interesting characters. With a few tweaks or clarifications here and there (settings stuff etc) this could be an awesome guild. I am excited for this idea and i hope to see it ingame  :thumbup:
* Anumesa debates between making a bearded dermorian lady or yliakum's tallest dwarf.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 03:51:59 pm »
Actually, the guild does sound fun. Pay no attention to the peanut gallery.

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • report posts of yours that you want deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 06:42:26 pm »
sounds fun acuzio! i look forward to seeing this guild in action

Donari im sure he might listen to your "suggestions" if he had any sign that you did actually read the Rules for Guild Threads before you posted.    :whistling:

For thread readers: When critiquing, try to be more encouraging and less negative. Promote creativity!  http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=23102.0                  ;D

Monala arches a brow. "Wait, so eatin' is like..." she shakes her head. "Er, nevermind."
[1: gossip] Monala: Lilu's piesexual.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:05:02 pm »
I will say once more like I did in IRC, I have seen nor heard anything to suggest that an elephant is OOC, unless you are saying it is OOC simply because it has never been stated as existing. Well, there is no such thing as bows, they don't exist.

And any creature may lick themselves if they so desire. In either case, this was indeed in his -OOC- section, and seems more like he was trying to be funny about it. He was simply warning that stuff kids generally shouldn't be 'listening' to might be said in the guild chat.

And Donari, which OOC things?

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 07:20:16 pm »
* lilura goes to read the settings.......no donari tyndale  hmm....... :woot:

Monala arches a brow. "Wait, so eatin' is like..." she shakes her head. "Er, nevermind."

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 07:24:47 pm »
are deherger(spelling?) and groffles?   {this is just a question not trying to argue }

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:27:32 pm »
Sure, he could use them in his circus. (It's "Derghir" by the way.) However, derghir and gobbles are actually semi sentient, and especially the former have a certain pride. But gobbles surely would fit into a circus :D

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:49:39 pm »
This whole damn thread is an azure circus.

She said groffels not gobbles.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 02:37:44 am »
I have gone through this and deleted all the inflammatory posts of a certain uptight and abusive forum user. I will ask that someone with more time than I have help the original poster to make this nice idea more fitting to our context without congratulating themselves or making a hostile environment for a new user and a non-native speaker.

My apologies to those I had to delete because their posts made no sense without the flamer in question.

Be welcoming to new people, or find another game.

Acuzio

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 03:19:01 am »
I have gone through this and deleted all the inflammatory posts of a certain uptight and abusive forum user. I will ask that someone with more time than I have help the original poster to make this nice idea more fitting to our context without congratulating themselves or making a hostile environment for a new user and a non-native speaker.

My apologies to those I had to delete because their posts made no sense without the flamer in question.

Be welcoming to new people, or find another game.

Let this post live as warning and reference to other non-constructive critiques.

I think you actually managed to ruin a good idea. Let me quote some phrases:

Acuzio Abdiel [sharp servant of God] <- Right.

wannabe daredevils <- Devils do exist?

You are atleast 18 years old, mature content may occasionally appear in the guild chat.
{[(the circus elephant takes a s**t or the fenki acrobat licks her ...ehem ... tail fur.)]} <- Elephants and enkis licking themselves?????? Elephants do NOT exist. Enkis are NOT cats. Not to mention the recruitment requirements for activity and age are TOTALLY OOC. Your recruitment requirements refer to actual in game stats and skills, no? What about those of the races that do seek another profession in your guild? Racism?

I stronlgy recommend you to read the settings again and think about OOC interferences in your roleplay.

Let me answer you step by step lady. (or sir , your gender isn't specified in your profile and I don't want to be called a sexist too).
On the daredevil topic: read this please: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunt_performer
On the elephants and enkis topic: I was mentioning what type of mature RP might occure, to underline that it's not sexual content, it probably was a mistake to use the enki line, I know that they are not cats but they have feline atributes, I was guessing that they like to keep themselves clean, just like a real feline would do.
On the race acusation, you should've looked here: http://www.planeshift.it/races.html I researched this and red it over 200 times, you ?
I thought a enki is supposed to be agile because they start at 85 AGI, the highest of all races so they could be an exelent flow artist.
I thought Kran, Ynnwn, and the StoneBreaker clan dwarves would be exelent 'strongmen'  (Kran: STR 94; END 90 Ynnwn: STR 80 END 92 StoneBreaker: STR 80 END 66)
I thought Xacha were exelent magic users http://www.planeshift.it/humans.html#xacha
I thought diaboli very charismatic (CHA 96) + http://www.planeshift.it/diaboli.html
About the "Your recruitment requirements refer to actual in game stats and skills, no? " yes they do, because those stats influence the caracter personality. For example: Those with low AGI will (or should) stay away from heights and big leaps. Low STR will almost always stay away from heavy armor.

For the "Acuzio Abdiel" topic:
In latin "sharp" can be translated in many forms
acer
acidus
acutus
argutus
penetrablis
penetralis
perspicax

I modified it and brought it according to the game requirements, to be fantasy rellated in "Acuzio" .

Even tho` I'm an orthodox Christian in real life I seek unity in diversity this is why I picked Abdiel. (Abdiel" It's cognate to the Arabic language name "Abdullah")

As for the "God" topic you should be ashamed.
"God" is a deity in theist and deist religions and other belief systems, representing either the sole deity in monotheism, or a principal deity in polytheism. God is most often conceived as the supernatural creator and overseer of the universe, in this case Laanx or Talad.

This is the reason of her/his frenzy (I guess)

Gameplay / Wish list / Re: Community Playhouse and/or amplitheather  on: February 04, 2009, 03:49:37 AM 
Quote from: Donari Tyndale on January 30, 2009, 06:16:08 AM
Make one yourself.  . Roleplay.

Ciogosh:
Welcome sir, have a seat in this imaginary chair, try to visualize the imaginary amplitheather. (use The Force if needed)

:offtopic:
  : (me, here)
The daredevils can at least make a "/me throws a dagger at the tree" but can you "/me takes a seat on the 'bench' "?

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=34746.0

I'll get you the best seats in the imaginary playhouse/amplitheather for the first event.   ]
The circus owner.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 07:11:36 am »
Let me try some constructive criticism ;). First of all, I think you did a great job coming up with this idea. It would be a great addition to the community if you would actually manage to pull it off. However, there are some tiny tweaks you could do to improve your idea even further! First of all, stats do not necessarily reveal anything about a character. Some of my characters are very charismatic without having a high CHA. Maybe you could tweak this a bit? Additionally, the OOC requirements, such as minimum age and weekly online time are purely OOC and might be more hindering to roleplay than promoting it. Especially since there are a lot of roleplayers aged less than 18 who might like to join your circus. Furthermore, online time can not be checked on by your character and might scare some people off. That's more than 6 hours per day spent in PS, a little bit much in my eyes. On a side note (You can actually ignore this last phrase if you feel like it :P), I am unsure whether the term "Daredevil" exists in PS or not since the term "Devil" might neither. Anyway, you did  a good job, and I hope you succeed with this idea  :thumbup:

Acuzio

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 07:44:16 am »
Stats are mostly OOC. Your character can be agile without having AGI. Some of my characters are charismatic without ever hacing trained. That is why I recommended you not to rely on that description of races. The restrictions may be vaguely interpreted as racism, which is forbidden according to the Octarchial Decree. Furthermore, the term "Daredevil" might go against settings, since the term "Devil" is unknown to Yliakum. The last major flaw in your post are the OOC restrictions. Spending 48 hours in game per week and being a player for more than one month for one. These are entirely OOC and can not be checked on by your character. The last flaw is the age requirement. There are highly qualified roleplayers aged less than 18, the youngest one I know is barely 14, and to be honest, he beats all of you when it comes to roleplay :P. If you change these things, you ought to be good to go.

I'm not here to please you but I must respond to the posts involving the guild.

Your less charismatic characters (those you declared untrained) should act as less charismatic for the sake of realism, try imagining yourself being an untrained in charm arts dwarf (CHA18), could you be a famous merchant, or at least a popular character, yes you could do that, but only by breaking realism. GMs should punish this kind of behavour after the v 1.0 of the game will be available (this is only my opinion).

On the "daredevil" topic:
It will not be changed.
Daredevil doesn't have anything to do with devil in my first post, it's just your imagination, try researching the "daredevil" word, not only the "dare" (challenge) or "devil" (evil entity) It's only one word "daredevil" and it means "stunt performer" not any stunt but only the high risk ones. If you need more enlightment on "Devil" I'll give you some as I did with "God", it's just a concept, further reference you can find on wikipedia® or my conational writer's work Mircea Eliade. He wrote a book in which you can find the complete history of all religions. The devil is just a metaphore for evil, but it doesn't have anything to do with "daredevil".

"The restrictions" do not exist in any realm, it's just in your head. I mentioned that all races are accepted, the ones I mentioned where a guideline. Yes, I know that the Staff and PRp rank is only open for diabloi, call me a racist, and the PRp only for diabloi females, call me a sexist too, but those are only preferences, as dwarves (should) preffer the enkidukai because:
Quote from http://www.planeshift.it/dwarves.html :
"Nutrition
They eat mostly meat, because they are not good farmers. What grain they need for bread, they usually buy from the Enkidukai, with whom they have a good relationship"
I ask you this:
The feud between dwarves and other races (tall people) can be considered racism?

The dwarves are often called "midgets", the klyros "flappy wings", the kran "heartless", the enkis "kitties". But that's just some spice to get the conversation going.

About the hours.
"These are entirely OOC and can not be checked on by your character"
It's not a must for guild membership, it's a must for weekly payment.
I guess you red the first post.
Staff persons keep rosters.
This rule was added just to increase the number of players and the time they spend ingame, look on the bright side, you will benefit from this guild as well, want to know how, let me tell you:
Players stay more in game, so they are most likely to have a better chance of reporting a bug, a bug you alone (in a hypothetical way) could not resolve only with your voice.

On the "month allready spent ingame" topic:
I want to create an elite circus, I'm sure you never visited a circus but you should know that 18% of England population did:
http://www.circusarts.org.uk/about-circus/index.php

About the "There are highly qualified roleplayers aged less than 18, the youngest one I know is barely 14, and to be honest, he beats all of you when it comes to roleplay" I think I'll let the other forumers discuss that, preferably elsewhere.

I want to thank all of you for all the suport, especialy Donari Tyndale and let you know that the age requierment remains and the
"At least one month old in Yliakum" was changed to "noobz not allowed" (/me winks to Vannaka)
Joking, the "one month old" changed to a "test of basic knowledge" for every guild aplicant exept the strongmen.
There is no more age limit, but I (intellectual owner of "Acuzio" character) will not be held legally responsible for any intellectual offence (some persons like Donari might get shocked from seeing an hyphothethical "elephant" -circus animal)
-Thank you khoridor for the fammiliar idea, it will be there-
The circus owner.