Author Topic: [GUILD] The Adani Order  (Read 16336 times)

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: [GUILD] The Adani Order
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 06:55:20 am »
A Mary Sue guild? That sure hurts... whether its a right or wrong characterism the fact someone says that means something, and its good to get some criticism even if its harsh. Its true we are a guild of do-gooders and also its true there's plenty of similar guilds around that fight for good, hunt bandits and all... But having been in Lye Naa Tualle, also a do-gooder guild that failed because its goal "service to the comunity" was too vague, I can tell this one has a better substance and the people in it are all great to rp with.

Personally I also think a guild with the goals and story of the Dark Empire, the Royal House of Purrty or the Daughters of Xioshia is the best case, or even guilds as The Way of the Hammer that can be presented as a company of craftsmen and exist harmonicaly in a RPed world. Putting aside that though not everyone likes the same kind RPs so if some want to RP as do-gooders they should be able to do it.

I dare say I may had thought the same thing as Vakachehk in his place. Its just that people do the RPs they want and noone is an ideal roleplayer. I can think of myself when i started RPing and facepalm after all. So a guild of do-gooders with people that try to RP the best they can and have fun doesn't sound that terrible to me.
By the way i don't know if i have RPed with any of your chars in game already but if not i'd be happy to :)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 07:45:24 am »
Well I never intended it to be my criticism that I find you are a Mary Sue guild I was asking what makes you different from those type of guilds. I just couldn't understand from the display post what the guild was really about, more OOCly. I still think that (as what Chucki said) you guys are more talented RPers than this. Yes I don't want it to be way over the top detailed like the book Lord of the Rings in which they describe one person with five pages. Just simple and more specific, e.g instead of sounding like you are bragging on how Solran Adani was master of all weaponry just say he was a talented well known weaponry master (or Warrior) but I dunno, I haven't even made a guild myself.

By the way i don't know if i have RPed with any of your chars in game already but if not i'd be happy to :)

We have RPed before. My character Vakachehk has duelled you (not so much RPed but yeeeeah) my other main Eyantar might of sold something to you, and my other main character's name would be Vieg (Which I am not that good on, since i am not experienced at playing bad) and I know for sure we have came across before, I think we had a little run around Hydlaa when I was stalking you around The Daughters of Xiosia's guild house, I think it was you, Venoral (Nova) and Dannae, I know Teshia remembers me  ;)

And thanks for the nice comment on The Dark Empire (Vieg's guild)
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Chucki

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 03:37:41 pm »
Also, I might point out that claiming official allegiance to the Octarchy is not really allowed (unless you're endorsed by the Octarchial Society for Progress or something similar).

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 04:16:59 pm »
I like the general idea and concept of the guild. The concept is a bit overdone, but in all honesty, it has never been accurately done.
At least not in the time I've been around. The problem is that you lack anything substantial to do, if all you're doing is protecting people, mainly because you lack enemies. We're currently needing criminal guilds (I don't like to use the word evil in a place where people think it's an alignment) in order to justify the existence of so many paladins.

As far as the History is concerned, it's lovely written. But any of my chars would call you insane if he ever heard about it, since he never heard of this Adani thing before. You can consider whatever you want, but you can't expect others to do the same. The safest way to get a History acknowledged is by writing down stuff that either actually happened, or that could have happened without anyone noticing.

I like part of how your structure works.
It's not well presented though: a single condensed and tiresome paragraph for the two aspects is too boring for anyone to care to read it. Divide it in two parts and use a list (with bullets) of concepts for each. Or something along the line.
Also, the Ambassador part seems really redundant in a Guild which is kind for everyone good. Unless you make your negotiating business available for others to buy it, it's not doing much in a guild where diplomacy standards are just: "Are you Good?"
A much better type of rank would be that of a Crafter, which would have a point in your guild since these would create the clothes, food and items for the people your guild aids.

Also

The Master of the Order is, in nearly all respects, simply another member of the Adani Council, he or she has no additional powers other than the task of organizing and directing the Adani Council, which is the ruling authority of the guild. The Adani Council approves petitions for apprenticeship, administrates over any guild disputes, and votes on any major guild decisions.
This is not well, because he does have additional powers and those additional powers are the most important within the guild (since he directs the authority of the guild). I think you wanted to say something like "The Master of the Order is to be treated like the other members, even though he is the one who directs the Adani Council."

Hope you enjoyed my criticism :D
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 05:10:52 pm »
Website: http;//theorDERPs.myfreeforum.org => I lol'd, who else noticed?

Also, this is a copy of the Jedi Order. I WANNA BE A SITH!!! Oh wait…

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 06:33:48 pm »
That's pretty good Sangwa, i could say i second all your points though i couldn't name them myself, you point out flaws that undermine the greater image of the guild and thank you for that  :thumbup:
I wouldn't like to speak for everyone though, I wasn't even one of the founders of the guild so I can't really say we should change one or another thing, its only my personal thoughts.
Having said this I'll point out there is indeed not enough evil in the world to match the order's existence in terms of bandits and the black flame is OOC knowledge, still, there are always the stone labyrinths and the raids from there that are more than enough to make a match for the order's strength... I'll point out there are big empty rooms at BD fortress so perhaps the order could also be presented as volunteers to help on the bronze doors in times things get out of control (as the crystal eclipses for ex). If this part is actually RPed as one of the order's concerns I think the problem is pretty much solved, the guild gets a substance.
+1 on Sangwa's suggestion of replacing the Ambassador rank (which is not actually to do anything as an ambassador RPwise) with Crafters (and crafters are not only the smiths).
Even willing to make an alt for that rank.

@ Vakachehk omg you re that vile runny menki that didn't let me write a thing because he ran away all the time? doh, stuff happenes :P
yes, i remember Vakachehk in game though, i think i ve RPed with you with my bandit alt too, Hanol, you had Issym lock me in... that was cool btw  ;D

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:35:50 pm by Chessire »

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 06:43:56 pm »
I'm glad you have your eyes set on objectives already. The best of luck to you guys.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 07:16:35 pm »
I do like Sangwa's ideas too. I also like the one on changing the rank 'Ambassador' to crafter, I also liked how Sangwa said making items last on the list of what the rank Crafter would be  :P

@Chessire I have a habit of typing to fast for others lol. Hanol sounds familiar and so does Issym, it's been to long since I've played to remember all the names  :D I've forgotten most of the NPC names too  >:( which won't help when I get back either  :-\

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 04:48:59 pm »
Hi everyone, :)

I'm going to do my best to address and answer a few questions and points that seem to have been brought up, and see if I can clarify a few things for everyone.  I'll try and address you by name if you're the one bringing the point up, but don't expect me to get them all right :)

Firstly: Thanks for the encouragement and positive feedback.  We've got a solid foundation laid, I believe, and are looking forward to growing alongside everyone else in PS as TAO progresses...

As to the points regarding Ambassador/Crafter:  The Ambassador rank is meant as the minority path, and is the less fighting-oriented of the two.  Ambassadors (And Journeymen) are negotiators, and represent the council and guild at large.  Because they're members of the Order, they've learned how to defend themselves, but their primary job is that of diplomacy and negotiation

Following along with this, the reason that Crafters haven't been added is that this isn't a multi-purposed guild that would encompass crafters and blacksmiths, per se.  TAO is a guild for those seeking to serve others by learning how to defend and protect by means of fighting and negotiating.  We're not meant as a civil defense guild, like the Warriors, or even MoM.  TAO is meant to serve peace and justice, serving others, rather than lording over them.  As Tessra said earlier, you'll find that many of us in TAO have darker spots in our past, and none of us would be necessarily described as "great".  We're the last thing from a Mary-Sue guild, and I also think you'll find that many (if not all) of our members are learning and developing in their skills, and all have faults and errancies as anyone would.  The Order would not necessarily be the guild on the front-line defense of the Bronze Doors, and I'm not intending at all for that to be TAO's main concern, but if EBD was under siege, you better believe TAO would be there to defend it.  Instead, TAO would be more focused on issues with criminals, "evil" guilds, and the like.  Take the recent zombie attacks as an example, that would be something that TAO would be meant to deal with, not just with the attacks themselves, but with the issues and people involved behind the scenes. Hope that clear it up a bit...

For the point about the history, I should have clarified this, but I assumed it would be understood that the existence of TAO would have been on the other levels, and just recently, Teshia and Caraick decided to take up the mantle of leadership, and bring it down to Hydlaa, and it's surrounding areas.  Again, I should have clarified this, as understandably, as Sangwa said, no person living in Hydlaa currently would have ever heard of TAO.

@Sangwa- Regarding your comment on The Master of the Order: He does not hold or direct the authority of the guild.  All "power" in the guild is held by the Council, and any decision regarding the guild are made by the Council.  I think that, again, poor wording on my part confused this point, but the Master of the Order is, for all intents and purposes, simply another Council Member.  His/Her only distinction is that he/she/kra "runs" the Council.  Meaning, the Master of the Order would serve as the "organizer" of any Council meetings, and serves to represent the Council to the rest of the guild at large.  This is identical to the way that the Ambassador rank is designed to "represent" the Council to other guilds.  The Ambassador themself is not more powerful than the Council, yet they serve to represent it.  In the same way, The Master of the Order represents the Council to the rest of the Order's Members, and serves as the "ceremonial head" of the guild, if needed.Hope that helps a bit with clarification :)

To everyone else: Sorry if I've missed your question/criticism, I'm doing my best.  Feel free to post after this and ask again, but let's try and keep it as civil as we can :)

Also, if you haven't already, please, please, please read Tessra's comment below, she articulates our purpose very well here, and if you want to comment any more on the guild, I'd prefer if you've read this first:

Vaka, I think it's great that you are asking questions.  And honestly... one of your questions is exactly why this guild was founded.  Why didn't we just join one of the other guilds? 

Simple.  We want to have an active presence in Yliakum, and PlaneShift.  Many of these guilds that you listed are wonderful guilds, full of incredible people... but we want more. We have incredible people, we have good role players, we have leveled players, we have duellers, we have a wide variety.  We cater to two vastly divergent paths, that no other guild supports in the same manner.  We have fighters and scholars, and we seek to help people to excel in whichever path they take.  We neither force, nor heavily encourage our members to PL/duel/etc.  We simply ask that they show respect for all life.

We are not all "great."  We are normal people, united by a common IC cause.  None of our people will tout their own skills and greatness, we value instead humility and confidence, not arrogance.  And if you knew many of us ICly, you would know almost all of us have some very dark spots in our past.  Speaking only for Tesh, she was the wife of one of the biggest mobsters in PS, ordered assassinations and the defilement of certain temples, as well as employing a vast network of spies for her threatening and blackmailing schemes.  It was only after seeing the damage and pain her actions were causing to her few friends that she began to rethink her life, and chose a new path, that of the order.  She has never been a MarySue type.

Before letting anyone into this guild, they have to go through one of the council, and they are verified to have the same IC goals that the guild has.  Even people who I have been in 2 other guilds with, I have still "interviewed" ICly to ensure they really wish to be within this Order, and that they understand at least the basics of what we are about.  We are not about a name, or gathering members.  We are here to be active, and to fulfill a role.  We will not fade out as some guilds have done, nor will we simply exist to exist.
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 07:07:28 pm »
Tbh, civil defense, and 'Defensive Serving' are two things that are quite similar to one another. Perhaps I have it wrong though. Yet, I do also realize that 'Defensive Serving' seems to be quite a lot more passive, and makes one think you will negotiate before any attacks are made. Still though, sorry, yet I do believe this type of guild is out-played. Yet, at the very same time, from what I see, there is a huge market for 'warriors for good' RP wise, as that's what everybody and their grandmother want to RP their char as.(My personal opinion)

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 07:40:40 pm »
Without naming any names, how many of the so-called "Warriors For Good" actually role-play their claims?  Where were they when Ditem was disrupting Yliakum?  Where were they when Oralon was torturing people?  Where were they when the demon klyros were attacking anyone near Gugrontid?  Most of them were nowhere to be found.  Aside from some of The Warriors who came to help with one of the incidents, I can't think of any of the other do-gooders who were involved as a guild.**  Who fought, and died against those people, those creatures?  It was the people who are now members of the Order. Its fine to say that you don't think we can live up to our guild expectations, I say, we lived up to them before we made the guild.  All there is for us to do now is keep it up.  And since we've already gotten into a few guild scuffles with a secret baddie guild, I'd say we're doing ok for our first week.  ;D

**Disclaimer: I wasn't personally involved in all of the incidents, so it's highly possibly that there were other guilds involved that I just haven't heard of yet.**

Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 07:45:10 pm »
Caraick, what I said was about the wording. It's not accurate to say he has no additional powers when he does have them: the power to call and organize the Council. It's not important though, seeing that only picky people like me mind about those things.

If the Ambassador rank is so restrict, it's hard to understand why it'd follow a master/apprentice philosophy. The way I see it the only thing people within will do is recruit members and advertise, which is something any other member can do. Because as far as diplomacy is concerned, you're amiable towards all Guilds which are amiable and aggressive towards all aggressive guilds. Maybe you have other purposes in store for them though, that I couldn't grip from your promotional post.

And as far as History is concerned, I still think it won't be taken too seriously IC, even with that adaptation, since most characters will not sit well with your claims to have been protecting Yliakum forever, with the gratitude of the first Octarchy.
Instead, I'd go for something more original: claiming Caraick, Teshra and whoever else created the Adani Order to respond to Hydlaa's threats, since they believe the rest of the efforts aren't being enough... The Guard is slow to respond... The so called "Warriors For Good" are no where to be seen... So Teshra and Caraick formed a Guild and swore upon their honor they'd make Yliakum a safer place!
That would be easily accepted by other players, since you could make it an actual fact and therefore easy to accept.

Join the Dark Empire!

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 08:15:20 pm »
Its fine to say that you don't think we can live up to our guild expectations, I say, we lived up to them before we made the guild.

Never said that I didn't think you can live up to your expectations! I do like your guild and the members quite a lot. I just wanted to point out the only thing that seemed a bit iffee.

Other wise, I do like the guild.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 08:21:30 pm »
I agree what Sangwa said about the history. I don't mind if Teshia (Sangwa you're getting muddled with Tessra and Teshia  :P they are sisters played by the same player) and Caraick swore that they will make a guild to protect Yliakum, Heres my idea however, one day they found some old history (Could just of found a guild name on an old house in Hydlaa and they researched more into it) about a similar guild that had somehow died out through war or whatever. They then decided to turn their guild into that guild bringing it back from history. And what they found from their research of the old guild is basically what's in the History of this thread.

I'm not trying to make you change your guild to mine or Sangwa's liking. It is yours however so you don't have to take in our opinions.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 08:37:24 pm »
Not at all Vaka, I think that idea is actually really good.

You too Sangwa, I think your comments on the history may be a really good idea, I'll see what Teshia thinks :) It's a new guild, and I'm not stupid enough to take advice from you guys, I like you both, and I really respect your opinion, especially when I think you're dead right on it  ;)  I think Vaka's idea again is really solid, and I wouldn't mind "changing" it to that, since I think that's a lot more accurate, RP-wise, and seems like it'd be easier to accept.

Thanks again guys, and I meant it :)
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.