Author Topic:  (Read 2909 times)

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2004, 10:29:40 am »
Just reading this thread, one might think the forums are spam-riddled junk. Aendar managed to come up with some spam threads, but overall, I\'d like to hear what exactly everyone\'s problem is with these forums.

And as for forum sections for individual guilds, that\'s why guilds have their own forums.

Ghostslayer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2004, 02:11:09 am »
Hopefully this spawns some new ideas, and helps this thread get back on track.

Note that I haven\'t posted in the guild thread before (I personally feel that a lot of posts are useless in it), so my opinion is biased, and my suggestion might be extreme.  Comments/Additions are always welcome :)

Definition of spam:
1. Posts that add nothing to the topic, or start causing the posts following become off topic.
  Eg. Player says something about guild then says *cookies and pies for everyone!*
Inevitably follows is the spam: \"Me like pie!\" and soforth.
Not that I have a problem with anyone liking pie ;), but unless their post contains some other text, that has SOMETHING to do with the guild, it is spam.
  Eg #2. People who say things such as \"I agree with ^^\" or \"Yup\" (without anything else in the post), or something along those lines.  IMO, it adds nothing to the discussion (if someone can think of an example where this is false, feel free to let me know), and is therefore spam.

2. Derogatory comments and/or personal attacks.
I always find it disheartening when a new guild starts up, and people start bashing it immediately becauese the person is a \"noob\" or whatever.  Posts which encourage this new member to expand on their rules section, or ask to add a website is fine, but other posts which kill the guild even before it gets off the ground obviously are not.

3. Two person debates.  While others may disagree on this, I think that this should just be kept to IM progs, and/or PMs.

Possibilities for Enhancing the Guild forum:

Each guild can only make ONE thread. It announces the guilds existance, discusses their rules, alignment, etc. and shows a link to their site.  Responses in this thread should ONLY contain comments about the site, people asking questions about a particular section (Ie, rules for the guild), people asking for additional info, etc.  If the guild members wish, they can add the welcoming posts for new members etc.

Basically, this thread should be kept stricly on topic for the guild, and more heavily moderated than my next suggestion.  As well, the thread \"Searching for a Guild?\" could contain links to each guilds site and their thread in their own post if guilds are worryed about their single thread going off the first page.

\"The War Thread\"
Basically, a new sticky thread (if neccessary) would be made for all of the conflicts between guilds.  Want to say how amazing your guild is, and how you are going to destroy any opposing guilds? Say it here.  This would be moderated less strictly, only with the spam rules I mentioned above.  This should remove the overly repetative posts that have been made in some of the threads, where some guilds have stated that they are all powerful and such over and over again.  (No I\'m not pointing fingers ;) )

I suppose that if this thread became to huge to quick, it could become its own subtopic (like the PK thread for the wish list, but we would have to see how popular it is first :P ).

\"I can\'t decide on a Guild\" thread. (Possibly a sticky?)
Basically, this would be a thread for those who have already read the thread for searching for guilds, but still feel the need to post \"I\'m looking to join a guild, but want to talk to the leaders first\" sort of thread.  Here, individuals could post about their character plans, then leaders could direct them to their threads, etc. through PMs.

Well, this is long as is, and I\'m out of ideas for now :P.

Edit: Whoops... I guess this was intended for the new guilds forum rules thread, which I mistook as this one... ugh.  I shouldn\'t post when I\'m tired. :D
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 02:13:50 am by Ghostslayer »
Blitzers Guild
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2004, 06:26:44 pm »
I don\'t think there\'s anything wrong with two person debates. It just means that nobody else feels like participating. It means that other people can add if they want, and their opinions are made public. However, if it degrades into flames and personal insults, then there is nothing it can do for the community, nothing people can say but \"shut up\", and it has to be stopped.

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2004, 08:04:01 pm »
Looks like the new rules basically forbid anyone from Cabal to ever post anywhere besides the Plaza.
So, sounds good to me.

And now for my 5 cents. We need more mods, like myself, to keep the public at bay, and moderate good behaviour. But more mods is certainly the solution to the problem of spam, that and public bannings.
In communist Russia, they shot every 10th person to set an example for the rest, so if we randomly ban like 10 ppl, that would show the public who still has the power.
But seriously, bannings=good. The person would get like 3 strikes, and BAM, out! Consider it.

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2004, 03:45:23 pm »
Your sig looks like crap with all that white space...

I think we have plenty of mods. As Venge says, it\'s not about firepower, it\'s about what they do with it. But, as I said before, people are where spam comes from, and if you get rid of a few certain people, then there is a lot less spam. However, right now, I can\'t think of anyone who should be banned, but it should definatelt be used as a motivational thing. \"Bring it down a notch before you get banned...\" Oh, wait, they already do that. In that case, these forums kick ass.

So, anyway, that\'s why you\'re wrong.