Author Topic: What do you expect of a thief?(event wide)  (Read 1378 times)

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
What do you expect of a thief?(event wide)
« on: November 30, 2007, 07:48:03 pm »
Well the list is running low Scractch off another event from upset do good guild really low...
Any ideas before you never see a thief guild again?

Due to the mass of the so called "Un-fair RP" we want to see what event you'd expect of a Thief Guild.
So list your ideas and see how hard it is to come up with a event.

Luck and loot forevermore

SerqFeht

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: What do you expect of a thief?(event wide)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 08:09:56 pm »
Sounds like a good idea, although maybe you should just join 'The Outlaws'
Have you told a Daylo 'I hate you' yet today? Do it. You'll get teleported to another area!

Marqsaynt

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 09:14:06 pm »
Join the Outlaws? Why not just tell the Yankees to join the Red Sox? :P

Believe me, "ToY" has been around for a long while and there is plenty of room in Yliakum for both the Outlaws and the Thieves.

As for ideas, seems to me that the more subtle criminal ways where always your forte... maybe something involving the (at least attempted) theft of some RP object of value... not sure what's floating around these days but, if you know the right angles, there has to be some way to make a play for some power. I know these aren't ideas exactly but, there are things brewing, and any shadowy, behind the scenes, ways to turn a quick tria I think could be fun. Also, lets not forget good old fashioned extortion and smaller scale robberies. ;)

As for people taking exception to a thief RP, I would like to think that as long as you're generally surrounded by quality RPers and are doing your best to RP fairly yourself, problems should not really arise as much... Some people just think the "good guys" should always win and the "bad guys" lose but, that's just not the way things work (unless you are Duraza who seems to get a kick out of planning his own downfall :P) and in general I think it makes for some interesting scenarios.

Good luck to you guys, glad to see you're still around... even if it's just lurking in the shadows until you can plan your next move. ;)

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 02:24:48 pm »
Just for OOC notes im in TOY, but latley there has been to much OOC discrimination and orthodox RPers scrutinizing saying thats impossible. In other notes it feels like we cant pickpocket anyone or mug anyone, add on the fact that at least 25%-50% just run away. And it would make us all warm and fuzzy in TOY if you actaully let us win or get away with a theft for once :P.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 02:31:57 pm by Colinb »

Ravenguard

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Stupid Demons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 12:29:01 am »
Hey, if there can be rogues sitting in broad daylight in Ojaveda, then there should darn well be character thieves that actually take money.
Character thieves should:
Camp gold mines and demand toll
Troll the sewers
Hide behind buildings and such, attempting to mug people
Wander the expanses and try to get people

I just hope I don't get robbed...  ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 12:31:11 am by Ravenguard »

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 04:56:52 am »
Just for OOC notes im in TOY, but latley there has been to much OOC discrimination and orthodox RPers scrutinizing saying thats impossible. In other notes it feels like we cant pickpocket anyone or mug anyone, add on the fact that at least 25%-50% just run away. And it would make us all warm and fuzzy in TOY if you actaully let us win or get away with a theft for once :P.

That 25% to 50% you just mentioned is something every roleplayer runs into, not just you thieves ;) They're the players that aren't interested in roleplaying or maybe don't even understand english.

As for thieving, I'll admit it's a very hard path to take since it's not supported by game mechanics yet but that doesn't make it impossible. Use OOC clarification, ask the player if they are alright with their character being robbed so you don't start off on the wrong foot. Then use the /roll command to determine success or failure along with some nice roleplay. Pick your targets wisely and suffer the consequences if you get caught. Thieving, in my opinion, should be something that has a small chance of great rewards but also a great chance of failure.

I've only had my characters being assaulted once, the thief could have gotten away with quite some loot too but he somehow refused to take anything and got chased off by an angry woman, who he probably could have overpowered.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 10:06:56 pm »
We tend to ask permission but alot of participants like it if we don't ask because they like to be surprised. We dont demmand a trade when we pickpocket or mug but donations are welcome!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 10:10:23 pm by Colinb »

Tabasco_Lyaph

• Traveller
  • Lyaph Galangal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 10:26:54 pm »
The dark way... For all of the role playing participants around a thief, though out of previous experience i might say that Role playing a thief character is extremely fun even though lack of people available for mugging.
Tough The fact that 8 out of 10 just ignore you and runs away when you lure him away into a dark alley and tells him to drop his tria pouch is understandable (Tough no not acceptable) tough the fact that the other two who actualy stay starts an OOC war against you and the people surrounding him, making the thieves bored so that they walk away and how these people actually SCARE AWAY the new players in the guild and sometimes even from the game itself.

This is fact, and it is scary!..

Phinehas

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 03:37:21 am »
I've only had my characters being assaulted once, the thief could have gotten away with quite some loot too but he somehow refused to take anything and got chased off by an angry woman, who he probably could have overpowered.
That made me laugh. For the rest, I agree... I think I wouldn't be averse to letting even Phinehas be robbed if the "robber" was polite OOC. That's a big step since Phinehas is, for certain reasons that will remain undisclosed, particularly thief-proof. But I would definitely not mind him getting pickpocketed if I knew that the player behind the character wasn't some noob who was going to think that they were t3h awesomezorrz and gloat over and over when they pulled it off.

I think it's the inability of a lot of people to separate the idea of "winning" in an IC sense, and winning in general that impedes this sort of RP. Sure a player is going to be proud of their character and want them to "do well"(whatever that may mean for that specific character), but it's important to remember that good RP isn't about one character, in the same way that good actors are applauded for the success of their play overall, not for whether or not their character "won".

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 04:46:01 pm »
That is what separates TOY... We don think of ourselves as 1337 awsumz0rz
But on the track so far TOY is heading to extinction.

Phinehas

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 05:31:12 pm »
Don't do anything rash...

Stand up for your concept... it's good(admittedly never read the guild thread or anything), and necessary. Be stubborn. Hold on. Don't let other people's inadequate RP keep you from excelling in that area.

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »
I was in ToY at one point and can tell you what the problem is straight out. You want only good RPers, and you are semi secret. This means activity within the guild is so low it makes it a bit pointless to be part of it as the point of the guild is having a group of like minded characters to work with. The Outlaws work alot better as they have a lot broader appeal to all different RP styles (some of which you probably don't consider RP at all).

I have an idea though. Make a good guild. I was thinking of joining PlaneShift again and would attempt to set up a guild for you that is bent on 'irradicate the thieves'. The thieves in a final attempt to stop this would rob the guild for all its worth, as that's what they are good at. Some of theses thefts would work and some wouldn't. The guild would lead by example by letting the thieves win now and again and both guilds would grow a healthy RP partnership.

Thats my idea :) tad grand I know but I like to think big.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Phinehas

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 04:29:19 pm »
Yeah... no. That's pretty awkward and clumsy. Also, from the criticisms earlier in your post I would, frankly, question your opinion of good RP and what a guild is.

I say keep with it. You don't have to be big to be a great guild, and you don't have to lower your standards. Ashes was the most enjoyable guild I was ever in, and it had both the highest standards and fewest members of any other guild that I've seen.

If you want more practical advice, feel free to ask. It's hard to give more specific advice about your guild in general without knowing it more in-depth.

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 04:32:35 pm »
feline prince, thieving as of now is only through RP, when I was a ToY, I wouldn't allow otherwise IE: stealing gold, items,a nd loot

despite this only someone who knows how to rp could be a thief... In other words, we would only take role players. As anyone else would likely abuse the whole thieving idea.

Colinb

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 04:38:21 pm »
Do you let anyone into your own family? We dont go hey rob the palace to a beginner. They have to prove there RP skills, as a recruiter I look at that, then I evaluate them with a "trial" run. Overall its tough to get in, we dont mass invite like some guilds.

We dont aim to get attention, we might do some massive event every now and then, idea a is realism a thief doesnt want to be known.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 04:41:34 pm by Colinb »