Author Topic: Development Speed and Player Counts  (Read 1399 times)

CheatCat

Re: Development Speed and Player Counts
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 08:12:06 pm »
There is one point here I think is important. While keeping the current model there seems to be only one coding the UE version of the game. On his limited spare time. I do not know how much time that is but I cannot imagine it will be many hours.

An more open approach will allow more to develop on the UE version without needing the commit to be associated with AtomicBlue. Now I will not say developers will storm to this project and dedicate all their time developing next Planeshift. In fact it might not improve the development speed or the quality at all. But it would be easier to do so.

Sure you can create a fork of Planeshift with the current model and upload it on github (the GPL stuff, mind you). Then begin porting it with Godot or UnrealEngine or whatever you want but it will never be recognized by the rest of the people who are interested in PlaneShift. You will end up wasting tons of time reinventing the wheel with zero interests from others. Not exactly the most fun thing I can do with the little time I have.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:14:43 pm by CheatCat »

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Development Speed and Player Counts
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 07:28:53 am »
Just  ignore the previous poster (I removed his post), spamming our forums since 10+ years with multiple accounts and posting negative feedback all the time. One of those open source fanatics I never liked.

Back to the discussion, we have never been interested in open source per se. We have been interested in open source as an enabler of building a community of developers and allowing people to contribute. We like Open Development, meaning we want to allow everyone to see our source code, learn from it, and join the team to contribute. GPL is not a good license after all, as it limits the reusability with other proprietary software, it creates a bubble of code you cannot exit from. This is why for the UE version of PlaneShift we are going to use a more open license like Apache or MIT.

About the number of developers, at the moment we have myself and ravna, plus we have received very good help from 3 other people I met in unreal engine community, who have provided insight and advise.

About the current openess, I give access to our UE SVN repository to whoever is interested to help. Everyone is welcome.

About current progress, I think I will start to post some more screenshots, I could even start to stream on twitch the development sessions if anyone is interested. Where we will learn together how to proceed. I think more interactivity will help to keep the interest alive.