Author Topic: Dev Q&A April 25, 2021  (Read 533 times)

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Dev Q&A April 25, 2021
« on: April 25, 2021, 05:10:07 pm »

Talad(Leader/Founder)
Eonwind(Rules)
Tuathanach(Rules)
Zunna (Rules/Settings)
Mordaan (Settings)
Venalan (Settings Lead)
Uadjet(GM Lead)
Emaline (GM Team)
Zweitholou (Art)

There are a few spoilers in this one, so beware any line that starts with [Channel]

Uadjet says: Hello and welcome to the Developer's Q&A! This is an out-of-character meeting where you can hear about the development of the game and ask the Dev and GM teams any questions you might have. If you do have any questions, please line up at the lecterns in front of the stage.
Fliks says: well theres the book abouth my head
Fayrene says: again i have a question
Uadjet says: Sure. Ask away!
Fayrene says: will the quest-system get an overhaul in the new client?
Uadjet says: I'm thinking they're more focused on making sure it works, than on changing it. What aspects do you think need a rehaul?
>Damola Etedi waves at Fayrene Muirik
Fayrene says: its because of a quest called Hydlaaic Legend which i find tough and difficult to handle
Fayrene says: as a new player like me
Uadjet says: Ah, as i recall that's one of the local beastie quests.
Fayrene says: it would be nice if that quest had a stats-requirement
Fayrene says: because that guy is tough and if he is hidden behind guards then i cant catch him
Gonger says: You are not supposed to catch him, just to meet him, I believe.
Fayrene says: it didnt work with just meeting him
Damola nods "Yeah, I think so to."
Fayrene says: i got no update on that quest
Uadjet says: That is a tough one. It isnt' always hard to find, and I don't think you need to kill it. It's been ages since I did it, but isn't getting close enough?
Uadjet says: Oh, I see.
Damola says: Meething him should be enough if getting close enough, and then running for your lifeā€¦ but maybe I do not remember exactly.
Uadjet says: Hmm.
Gonger says: Are you sure you had met the right one?
Fayrene says: yes, the toxic clacker is it
Uadjet says: I'll clear it from my history and see what I can find after the meeting.
Fayrene says: and i already ran for my life because that guy chased after me
Uadjet says: I'm not sure the quest giver would care about character ability, as it's a 'gossip' style conversation.
Dentritus says: Can it be that you have to find the spawn point? So if it was drawn away, the quest did not register.
Uadjet says: Perhaps a warning in the dialogue.
Gonger says: It is a special clacker, I believe, not just a toxic clacker.
Fayrene says: we saw him behind some tough critters which i definitely couldnt handle
Gonger says: From my logs it is a Giant clacker, not a toxic clacker.
Fayrene says: its really not easy to get that quest done
Gonger says: Meaning, you probably did not meet the right one.
Gonger says: But I will gladly help you finding it.
Fayrene says: if it is more giant then the toxic one then i really didnt meet that one
Uadjet says: Giant? I don't see a giant clacker NPC. Just a toxic clacker and the regular versions.
Gonger says: Yes, I am pretty sure
Gonger says: Toxic clacker is the one that drops the ... what are they called... not bows, the other range weapon.
Fayrene says: ermm... maybe you really should take a look into it, uadjet. because yet i am really irritated
Uadjet says: Crossbows.
Gonger says: Crossbows, yes. Fayrene, I am absolutely sure you had the wrong clacker. The toxic clacker is always more or less at the same spot, the Giant Clacker is walking deep in the sewers, I believe.
Uadjet says: I'll look into it after the meeting.
Fayrene is totally irritated that there is another one...
Fayrene says: thank you very much uadjet
Gonger winks at Uadjet. "Trust me on that one."
Dentritus says: I think it was the toxic one, but it has been a while.
Fayrene says: but surely that quest needs an overhaul in the new client....
Gonger says: Even in the quest log it says, "giant clacker". You cannot blame the quest for that...
Gonger says: And no need to kill it, you just need to be close to it.
Fayrene says: for me the toxic clacker is giant already *smirks*
Fayrene says: oh, i can because the sewers are dangerous!
Uadjet says: Okay, Fliks has a couple suggestions for Unreal, and at least a few are certainly possible.
Fliks says: yup
Hulla says: ?
Fayrene says: which ones?
Fliks says: the floating book
Uadjet says: The first was about dyeing armor.
Gonger says: Well, Fayrene, it does not block you in any way, for this quest is not part of a quest chain. So you just have one unsolved quest in your list...
Uadjet says: That is entirely possible in the Unreal engine, and Talad has already done a few streams on it!
Fayrene says: ohhh... dyeing armor? that would be nice!
Gonger says: Dyeing armor, like what? Different colours?
Uadjet says: I don't know how much work has been done, but clothing can be recoloured rather easily (hello tailoring!), and it is possible to add symbols to armor and shields.
Fayrene says: ohhhh! *stars in the eyes have*
Fliks says: like in the event yesterday you had a waighing scales symbol on your shield
Uadjet says: The streams you'll want to look for (on youtube.com/user/PlaneShiftOfficial/videos ) is "decals"
Fayrene says: i take a look later
Damola says: Well that is nice!
Uadjet says: I was thinking 'stamps', then remembered they're called decals.
Uadjet says: I know any additional customization is a bit of a treat, given how identical we all are.
Uadjet says: Well, how identical YOU are.
Uadjet smirks.
Fayrene says: oi....
Fayrene smirks back
Hulla says: and what about the other thing for ue ?
Uadjet says: So I don't know if it's a high priority, but it's something the Dev team has looked into and is supported by the engine.
Gonger says: Speaking of customizations.... is that planned at some future time, like 2030?
Damola makes "Heh. I want real nice mage robe."
Uadjet says: "Other thing", Hulla?
Fayrene says: or medieval dresses
Fayrene says: for festivals
Uadjet says: Hopefully earlier than 2030, though Zwei is doing a push on Lemurs next week. Or last week. I forget when he said that.
Hulla says: you speak about more idea in the book
Uadjet says: Oh, the other topics? I'm just not there yet.
Uadjet says: I babble.
Damola says: Nice.
Fayrene chuckles
Damola thinks Uadjet is a unique GM, maybe at times a bit a babbling one
Damola chuckles
Uadjet says: Trading pp... I don't know about that. It's a wildly OOC thought... unless it's tutoring. Required time spent close to each other, doing some skill.
Uadjet says: Hmmm.
Uadjet says: 'How to Solve a Problem like PP' is a topic that comes up regularly.
Damola says: Long time you do not have enough, then you get more and more and more and do not need them for anything anymore.
Uadjet says: Players get tons of it, and the uses have diminished and may eventually disappear if stats get a different way to train like skills did. So what do people spend existing pp on? My favorite suggestion is character customization.
Gova says: I'm currently at 4,476,640 pp. :D
Gonger cheers wildly at Uadjet.
Uadjet says: I don't think there's any firm plan, but the Devs do want players to have a chance to spend those on something.
Fayrene says: ohhh.... these pps. i was wondering why i couldnt i use them instead of trias
Fayrene says: - second i
Damola just has about 100000pp... but I did not level her through fighting and had the feeling it is much harder to level a char this way.
Damola says: Oh, and at some time you needed PP to raise skills, now its only required for stats.
Uadjet says: For newer players, they're spend (along with tria) to raise attributes like strength. They used to be required to train skills as well, which is why you get so many. Now the uses have decreased dramatically, but they're still gained at the old rate.
Gonger says: Yeah, fresh players do not really know how easy things have become for them... *rant, rant, rant*
Uadjet says: Yeah, what Damola said more succintly.
Fayrene says: ah okay..... gonger is ranting
Fayrene chuckles
Uadjet says: Okay, so size of character: We already do have the ability to make characters smaller if you want to RP someone who isn't fully grown yet, but it's done manually and not handled automatically by the game engine.
Uadjet says: You can file a petition and have it done in the database if you want to do it properly.
Uadjet says: Pets, actually, may get something like that. Automated growth, I mean.
Gonger says: Setting pets descriptions would be nice
Uadjet says: When Talad was streaming about pets he talked about pets (well, familiars) starting out small and growing as they gain strength.
Fayrene says: so... a little groffel becomes a big groffelus?
Damola says: Now that is nice.
Hulla says: it is a thing he can do but not sur he do it he have making manny change for the pet
Hulla says: soon the have hability
Uadjet says: Customizable pet descriptions shouldn't be too hard, and actually it may be something that Talad has already worked on.
Hulla says: and he dont want "battle pet"
Damola says: I also love to be able to feed my cute Groffel in the future. I hope my Rivnak will enjoy some carrots as well or the Drifter some fish.
Uadjet says: Pets get their own window in PSU, where you can see stats and so forth, so setting a description there would be easy.
Fayrene says: maybe they could collect hidden objects?
Hulla says: it is the spirit yes
Hulla says: and do more
Fayrene says: some acrobatic?
Hulla says: i think no but in another hand just because talad dont want
Fayrene says: that is fine with me!
Fayrene says: what other ideas had fliks?
Uadjet says: More main stats like movement speed (I think that's unlikely to change), fortitude (sounds like endurance). I know what you mean. Secondary stats that are derived from the primary stats but have their own use. Like how mana is derived from the three mental stats.
Fayrene says: hmmm.... i think the stats we have are enough (only my thinking!)
Uadjet says: I think movement speed is going to remain as it is. I recall Talad talking about how climbing and swimming speeds will probably be set by species, not by a skill.
Fliks says: like i would be slower and Damola woudl be faster
Uadjet says: So I don't think they'll be adding new stats like that.
Fliks says: and Dentritus would just sink
Uadjet says: Well, I dunno. Thinking about climbing, there are a few races that might be a bit faster than the norm. Enkis, Klyros, Stonehammers, Dermorians.
Uadjet says: Swimming would have everyone at the same pace, but maybe Nolthrir and Klyros are faster.
Gonger says: In general different races should have slightly different stats...
Gonger says: Klyros are much lighter than kran, that should be reflected somehow.
Uadjet says: Kran might move through water like hippos, alternating by walking along the bottom and jumping up to the surface.
Damola grins
Damola says: Yeah.
Dentritus says: So no changes for kran in this regard - i am used to walk along the bottom
Uadjet says: Yeah, Kran may be the only ones with water movement already correct.
Fayrene says: maybe kran can eat through the rock....
Damola says: I think about regular movement speed, with all races it usually better is fast enough to run away from mobs, otherwise the game can be very frustrating for new players.
Damola says: Interesting suggestion, Fayrene.
Uadjet says: A question, Gonger?
Uadjet says: I don't know how long you've been there, as I had that book open and couldn't see anything.
Fayrene chuckles about Damola's comment
Gonger says: Yes.
Gonger says: No problem.
Gonger says: I am currently training Repair Weapons, and between levels 16 and 35 there is hardly any experience progress. I shiver at the thought how it will be at level 190...
Gonger says: How long it will be to advance further, I mean.
Gova says: It's horrible.
Hulla says: the more hard part is to found the weapons
Gova says: You get one point of training per second doing the repair, which goes down to 20 very quickly.
Gonger says: Hulla, you just need a stack of good weapons, and one damaged weapon
Dentritus says: Does the skill allow you to completely repair a weapon - skill states only 75%
Gova says: Yeah, that's the trick. I had two stacks, to reduce time spend damaging the daggers.
Hulla says: Hargggg dammaged some perfect weapons ??
Gonger says: From what I know, once you are at 200, you can repair any weapon without quality loss.
Uadjet says: The skill description is outdated.
Fayrene says: it seems that tree needs an update
Uadjet says: You repair a weapon by a certain degree depending on your skill, but the maximum quality of the item decreases unless your skill is at 200 or higher.
Uadjet says: So if you repair a weapon that is at 32/50, it may be repaired to 41/49.
Fliks says: ooh thats high
Uadjet says: Repair it again and it could go to 48/48.
Gonger says: Not quite
Fliks says: i now know how to float without |Uadjet
Fayrene says: ouch.... quality loss...
Uadjet says: At that point, the weapon will never go back up to 50, the original quality.
Gonger says: Even from 1/50, you go to 48/48
Uadjet says: Well, I was guessing at what a skill of 1 might do.
Uadjet says: I vaguely recall not getting full repairs at a very low level.
Dentritus says: The low levels define which weapons you can repair
Gonger says: Hmm, ok, at a very low skill it may indeed be different.
Gova says: Leatherworking is worse, with most skill uses that don't require tons of hunting taking only 5 seconds.
Dentritus says: but you get full repairs, exept for the damage to max quality
Damola chuckles "And if you are at 2/3 or so, you can just use Uadjet's Waste Disposal Unit."
Fliks says: ha i can see all of you but you cannot see me
Uadjet says: And with a skill of 200 you can also remove purely negative modifiers, like "Ruined" or "Worn".
Fayrene says: but to go to 200 the way isnt easy, hu?
Hulla says: but why ? the ruined one are realy helpful ?
Uadjet says: But as for the monotony of training, I don't know if anyone is looking into that. It is a bit of a chore. Even moreso than most training.
Uadjet says: I've probably annoyed grammatical purists by making "more so" one word, but I'm sticking with it. ;)
Fliks says: its fine with me i canat tell that is gramaticly correct and what isnt
Fayrene is fine with that too
Uadjet says: I do have an update on what Talad has been working on, though it does involve huge spoilers for the upcoming tutorial in Unreal. He's doing it while streaming so it's public knowledge, but I know some of you might not want that information spoiled for you.
Gonger says: You are pardoned, Uadjet.
Uadjet says: So if you want to hear about the upcomign tutorial, use this command: /join spoilers
Fliks says: you can /group those who want the spoilers
Uadjet says: Oh, and for those who didn't know, you can create your own channels like gossip!
Damola says: /join spoilers
Damola grins
Uadjet says: The /join command allows you to add yourself to any of the channels you like. Gossip is the main one we see as /1, but when you use /join it adds you to the channel you named in the command.
Fliks says: ah talad is doing a stream right now i just got a notification
[Channel] [2: spoilers] Uadjet: Okay, so Talad has been working on The Dryken Plane, which is the space between worlds that people go through to get from their people's homeworlds to Yliakum.
Fayrene says: i will look at the streams later
Damola understands "So you really wanted to us use the command in case we like to know it."
Fayrene says: first i want to know which other things you suggested, kliks!
[Channel] [2: spoilers] Uadjet: I think it looks amazing, and he's even adding in a creature type or two for it! Not hostile, but interactive to some degree.
>Gonger Xaraha greets Rykia Mewmeat.
Fayrene says: fliks... sorry *smiles*
Gonger says: You can also read the book floating near the bookstands
Gonger says: Just above my head.
Uadjet says: Yes, they suggestions are in that book above Gonger's... What he said.
Fliks says: its disaperd for me
Gonger says: Head :)
Fliks says: found it
Fliks says: it was invisible for a second
Rykia says: I still see it
Uadjet says: Hidden behind Gonger's speech bubble?
Fliks says: it blends in with the bookshelf behind it
Gonger says: Fliks, you can also do /target plane, since your book starts with planefhift.
Fliks says: yeah its gto a very long name#
Fliks says: got*
Fayrene says: ah, about map! is there a way to have dots from creatures and npcs on the map?
Fliks says: ive just had anoher idea
Fliks says: we couold have a mini map
Fayrene says: something like that, yes
Fliks says: in the top right corner of our screen
Fliks smiles
Fayrene says: but it wouldnt go well with the self-made maps, or?
Hulla says: talad work on a "compendium" a sort of player book who grov witht the player expoerience
Hulla says: experience
Uadjet says: PSExtended has one, I think. Never tried it.
Uadjet says: Ah, the compendium! That looks to be very interesting.
Fayrene says: ahhhh! and each map we visit will be there then?
Hulla says: ask talad about it
Gonger says: Well, thanks for your ideas, Fliks.
Uadjet says: Well, locations will be. Cities, towns, maybe some landmarks like the ones that have signposts currently.
Gonger says: But remember what I told you, the combined wish list already consists of thousands of items...
Fliks says: i had fun coming up with them
Fayrene says: it would be nice if each book were custom in these things. but i think that would be to much work
Fliks says: yes i found that the other day
Uadjet says: But creatures will be in there too. Magic, maybe notable NPCs. There's a list in some of the streams with categories that I'll have to find.
Gonger chuckles softly. "And I bet each of us has enough ideas to keep the poor Devs busy for a long long time!"
Uadjet says: Oh yeah!
Fliks says: defently
Fayrene says: that is true, gonger! shall we put more onto the list then?
Fayrene chuckles cheekily
Uadjet says: I've been working on the formula for time taken to debate a topic, for the next time a Dev wants the players to discuss something at a Q&A.
Hulla says: dont lost hope perhaps "he" come from nowhere the man who can dev to
Fayrene laughs
Uadjet says: So far I've got Time Taken as Y, Time available as X, and y>=2x + C, where C is the random silliness quotient.
[Channel] [2: spoilers] Damola: nice
Fayrene says: that is hillarious!
Fliks says: C is the most that happens here
Fayrene says: thats for sure!
Fliks says: like i was running around 5 mins ago rifting into walls .ect
Fayrene says: as an example: the carts and the rivnaks as dragger
Fayrene says: or maybe a new animal
Uadjet says: But if you want spoilers on the Dryken Plane, please check out the latest streams! Talad is running around there, so you'll see it in action.
Fliks says: imagin an Enki with a pet Enki
Fliks says: yeah i wached those streams ill wach the one hes doing now later
Fayrene imagines a bison with six legs as a new animal
Fliks says: um my groffel just ran trough a wall
Uadjet says: They do that on occasion.
Damola grins about Uadjets formula
Fliks says: IM GOING IN
Fayrene says: maybe it found a treasure? ^^
Fayrene says: ups.... minus the thingies
Uadjet says: Okay, we're well past the hour so if there are no other questions I think we can bring the meeting to a close.
Hulla says: thank you for the meeting
Fliks says: and now its on the other side of it
Fayrene says: thank you very much for these meeting. it was fun!
Gonger says: Thanks a lot
Fayrene says: and now that mysterious clacker-thingie.....
Gonger says: Nothing mysterious, Fayrene... ;-)
>Rykia Mewmeat thanks Uadjet!
Fayrene says: it is! really it is!
Gonger says: You had the wrong clacker, that's all...
Uadjet says: I'll run off to investigate the clacker thingie, then I'll post the log of this meeting to the forum.

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Q&A April 25, 2021
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 02:25:05 pm »
Hi Uadjet,

Thanks once again for posting these logs, and for the valuable information.
Could you also say something about my question about experience gain at different skill levels for Repair Armor? You said a few things about the effects of the skill, but not so much about the experience question.

You are not getting away that easily!  ;D

Gonger

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 04:58:11 pm »
I should ask, to be sure we're talking about the same thing: Are you asking about experience and progress points, or are you talking about practice points and skill progression? I know the repair task goes down to 20 seconds per use for everything very quickly, and I think we touched on that in the meeting. I don't know much about the experience gain per use, though. I talked about this with another player, and he said that the training was tedious but didn't mention experience points gained.

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 01:07:41 pm »
Hi Uadjet,

Thanks for your answer. What I mean is this:

You've gained 20 practice points in Repair Weapons.
It was 20 at skill level 16, it is still 20 at skill level 38.
Gonger

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 05:23:41 am »
Okay, that's what I thought you meant but I thought I should be sure you were talking about P.P., not P.P.

As far as I know, the number of practice points (wrote 'practice pints', which seems a tempting solution to skill grinds) is determined by the duration of the task at hand. The usage of the skill takes 20 seconds, so you get 20 practice points. It gets a bit fuzzier with spellcasting and weapon skills, but I do think they're about the same amount. Shield and armor skills... I have no idea. They're probably determined in a similar way. For most skills it is precisely that. When you start a task and are told that it will take x seconds, you know precisely how many practice points you'll get as well.

There are ways to increase skill training rate, but not for all skills. I'm hesitant to post the more examples, but I don't think it's an exploit to take advantage of the fact that some containers can process more than one item at once. Cooking appliances, stock tanks, and so forth can work on each slot at the same time, and you get practice points for them all. If you put in 24 items that take 20 seconds, you'll end up getting 24x20 practice points at the end of it.

As for the skills that don't have that option, there really isn't a way to get more than the 1 pp per second that you're supposed to get. You can try to minimize wasted time to keep from getting less than that. A weapon with a speed of 2 will give 2 pp every 2 seconds, where a weapon with a speed of 1.5 will give 1 pp every 1.5 seconds. You can change your stance up and down to alter your attack time a bit. You can use shortcuts to minimize time between skill uses. That sort of thing.

Repair skills, unfortunately, have none of these options. You can't repair more than one item at a time, which does make sense. You can't even find tasks that take a long time to avoid clicking as often, as all tasks drop down to 20 second very quickly. You are, as far as I know, limited to the standard 1pp per second.

I do think it's intended for skill gain to slow significantly as it goes up, though I no longer know how rapidly it increases. It used to be that if a skill increased with 8 practice points reaching level 1, the next level would take another 16, then another 24, and so forth. I believe Rules added a curve to that line a couple years back, and I don't know what the final result is. It would be nice to have some tasks that take a bit longer, at least, to avoid all of the clicking, but that would require changing the math for the repair actions.