Author Topic: Sanatorium -> Building  (Read 566 times)

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Sanatorium -> Building
« on: December 13, 2013, 01:26:08 am »
The Sanatorium has been a tent for too long. It's in constant use, and I think the city has enough reason to build a brick and mortar Sanatorium. It looks really out of place as it is now.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Sanatorium -> Building
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:48:05 am »
* Dr. Lesiros Forita approves of this wish.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:03:19 am »

While I don't care much about this, the name "Sanatorium" sounds awkward. For me at least, it does not have a very medieval feel to it. The word is associated more with primitive mental wards and the sort of hospitals that predated the practice of hand washing and the discovery of germs.  "Medical Tent" would have been a better name for it.

Personally, I would give it some character and embed it into the settings a bit more. Perhaps make it a hot spot for practitioners of blue and crystal way and for those who are part of the science faction.

Also.. the tent does not look like it fits in the wealthy city of Hydlaa. It looks temporary. It would be more fitting to have an impromptu sort of medical tent like this on a battle field or perhaps in a poor city ( or enki city where tents are the norm ).

Just my 4 1/2 cents.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:44:24 am »
A guildhouse could be converted into a brick and mortar hospital with beds and a few chests and wardrobes for storing medicine maybe even and alchemy station. It could be left open for whoever wanted to use it and the door could be placed anywhere in the city.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 03:01:03 am »
That or even an open-air sort of design.... the idea being that the fresh air will "put some some color" into the cheeks of the ill and dying.  :)   

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 10:04:44 am »
* MishkaL1138  takes notes furiously

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:16:57 pm »
That or even an open-air sort of design.... the idea being that the fresh air will "put some some color" into the cheeks of the ill and dying.  :)   

I'm pretty sure the point of a Sanatorium is to keep the ill and dying from sharing air with the healthy people.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 12:46:57 pm »
* Mishka nods firmly at the last remark

I may or may not be working on designing some sort of building for a new sanatorium/hospital.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

yourcharname

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:19:29 pm »
I do like the guildhouse somewhere in the city idea, but there must be some reason why more buildings aren't implemented throughout the city like that, right?
Right?

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 02:03:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure the point of a Sanatorium is to keep the ill and dying from sharing air with the healthy people.

Actually, I read somewhere that when TB hit, some hospitals had lots of open windows with the idea that it would help the patients... I'll try to find source just for fun.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 02:16:40 pm »

Waverly Hills Sanatorium:

Quote from Wikipedia:

In the early 20th century, Jefferson County was severely stricken with an outbreak of tuberculosis. There were many tuberculosis cases in Louisville at the time because of all the swampland, which was perfect for the tuberculosis bacteria. To try to contain the disease, a two-story wooden sanatorium was opened which consisted of an administrative/main building and two open air pavilions, each housing 20 patients, for the treatment of "early cases".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waverly_Hills_Sanatorium

Pic:

On the concept of open air treatment...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC192860/

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/06/05/188906912/tuberculosis-white-plague-doctors-modern-medicine

Rirenil Masdo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
"Jekkar really is Planeshift's very own Van Gogh - an iconoclastic rulebreaker, unheralded by his peers, who must await for history to recognise his talents at a later date." - Rinenud
"Jekkar is an old one-eared smelly elitist party-pooper jerkface."  - Neko K

apyj13

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 09:11:21 pm »
It might be nice also, if NPCs are added, to be able to request to be healed (either free or for a nominal fee) to help new players.  Maybe you have to do a quest to get healed for free or something along those lines.  Just a thought.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 10:09:15 pm »
Rigwyn, PS is nowhere near early-20th century. It's also a completely different universe. That would also be more difficult to design.

Mishka, could you share your designs?

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 10:34:14 pm »
Guildhouse would work.  It's a shame there are so many current guildhouses that don't seem to be used for anything.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.