Author Topic: People Saying They Suck At RP  (Read 766 times)

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
People Saying They Suck At RP
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:37:14 pm »
I can't play the game right now, but checking the forum and seeing someone's post got me thinking.

A lot of players assume that they are terrible at roleplaying. It is true that players differ greatly in spelling ability, creativity, speed, confidence, and style. If a player sees another player receiving praise for his roleplay, the player receiving praise is likely to be seen as an idol. Other players will then strive to become like the player who received the praise. This could be a method of fitting in, searching for similar praise, trying something new, or I don't know.

As a case most players are probably familiar with, remember when Mariana began posting short novels in the main tab? Long posts were previously rare, until other players realized they preferred Mariana's roleplay style, and then everyone began to conform to this standard. Not long after, players who preferred short posts were not taken as seriously when their style was no longer the norm. Were those players inferior roleplayers?

Personally, I felt I was the only one who saw the change for what it was, and I witnessed many mistakes committed by players who typed long posts, both grammatical and rulebreaking. No one is perfect. Every roleplayer is guaranteed mistakes.

More than your method of roleplay, I remember the stories, interactions, and hilarity that our roleplay produces. Roleplay can only be ruined with rulebreaking (godmoding, powerplaying) and OOC drama. If you play with passion and understand that the nature of roleplay is dynamic interaction, you are golden. I find that some of the best moments in roleplay are spontaneous, with people I never imagined my characters would meet, or who perhaps I did not realize roleplayed at all. Even noobs are enjoyable company, when they are interested in learning or surprise you with their ambition.

So, what I'm saying is, don't try to be like the people who are on pedestals. Measure yourself, realize your strengths, and build your own.

the end

btw, no offense to mariana, she a cool cat
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Kaerli_Stronwylle

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: People Saying They Suck At RP
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:46:45 pm »
Sarras has a good point here, indeed.  We all need to be better about pulling in newbs (although I've seen some very positive signs in this regard), and respecting each other's RP styles.  (In particular: story preferences seem to give the PS RP community *fits*)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 08:26:58 pm »

As a case most players are probably familiar with, remember when Mariana began posting short novels in the main tab? Long posts were previously rare, until other players realized they preferred Mariana's roleplay style, and then everyone began to conform to this standard.

btw, no offense to mariana, she a cool cat

She also barely plays anymore, and hasn't for like three months or so, but since I've been summoned you pointy eared varmant. :P

I'd like to say that while you wanna credit me with shifting the role play preferences, you should know I learned to role play that way from OTHER role players. Aiwendil. Caraick. Miomai. Aramara. Zalya. It's sorta flattering to know you think I have the capacity to steer server preference, but trust me, I don't. I'm also not on a pedestal. Not that I am aware. If I am, get me off the damn thing. I don't want it.

I also do not think shorter posts make up a quality difference. I never have. Do I prefer longer ones? Yes, but that is personal preference. You can even inquire from others who might have seen me recently, I haven't been "posting novels" if the preferred style is shorter. It's not as fun for me, but that whole need of the many Vulcan thing or whatever. In fact, most recently, as there have been fewer and fewer role players who do things the "way I do," I haven't even been plotting, storywriting, or anything of that ilk. It literally got to the point that I got hatemail for using the creative story writing section of the forums, so I've quit writing altogether.

Anyway, not the point. The point is that yes, it's silly to think longer means better. In some situations it can even hinder, which is something I've learned, like in larger group role plays. I also like a lot of role players that use shorter styles and are a LOT better at humor than I am. I'm just not good at funny, to be honest, so it's nice to bump into folks that are talented at lighter hearted things, and things that are more easy to follow, or more accessible, or not as dark, or (insert different characteristic here.) It takes all sorts to make a world and all sorts to make a community. I always use the analogy books, and it still applies. Just because two different best sellers have a different style sure as hell doesn't make one superior to the other. Diversity = good.

At any rate. Yeah. That. That thinking is sillysauce and. Whatnot. G'bye.

* Mariana Xiechai slinks back into the shadows
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:41:47 pm by Mariana Xiechai »

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:41:05 pm »
I only noticed that longer posts began propagating after your usage of them. Also, I did not mean to post about you, but rather the views other players have of your playstyle. I've been told from other players that they strive to mimic that. I saw that as a good example.

The point I'm trying to make could be said about rapid-fire posting. Quicker does not mean better, either. Everyone has their own style, and no one should feel they must conform to someone else's standard.

For me, it's been grammar since I first began roleplaying. By the time I started PS, I no longer really had a problem, but I used to spend too much time reviewing and editing posts. At this point, I no longer care, but I know others still have obstacles, which is why I made the thread.

Edit: Hatemail? wat?  ::|
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:42:51 pm by Volki »
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 08:51:43 pm »
Edit: Hatemail? wat?  ::|

Yep.

I'm not trying to make this post about me, either, so please don't take it that way. It's simply that you called me out (or not quite called me out, but "labeled" me as perhaps unintentionally propagating this belief, so I figured it would make sense for me to knock said belief down, even if it wasn't directly my fault it started.)

Truth is I ain't a confident person. It may come as a shock, but that quality in a lot of my characters is opposite of myself. I have never considered myself to be a superior player. I am only flattered when people ask me for advice, and that is all. I have learned from other players to help in areas where I am weakest, like role play fighting and banter and so forth. Role play is communicably building one another up to create our own styles, not trying to be the same.

If you (universal you) honestly think I'm responsible for changing that, then I am sorry.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 09:30:07 pm »
I only meant that the spread of long posts is something that is usually attributed to your use of it. But I did not mean that you, in any way, destroyed diversity. When people see someone or a group of people doing something a certain way, they are likely to adopt that way of doing it. This is fine for learning how to do something, but it does not mean you must always conform, especially since roleplay is creative and relies on individuality.

So, I greatly agree with you on this: "Role play is communicably building one another up to create our own styles, not trying to be the same." Many players seem to think that because they make short posts, type slow, grind often, or whatever, they are somehow inferior roleplayers. This is far from true, though, and there are no exceptions. Everyone is interesting to play with when they try, and I think it is ridiculous when someone says they aren't a good roleplayer.

Because I can get carried away, my point is this. People idolize other people, try to be like other people, and forget that they were just as good or better when they were being themselves. I don't mean that you should do what you want, but that you should better yourself every moment. Don't compare yourself to someone you think is "better" than you. Be the best you can be. </motivational>

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 09:49:33 pm »

Y'all suck!

OK, so now that that's out, just accept it, play and be happy.

\\o//

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 09:59:44 pm »
 :love: u Riggy

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:13:32 pm »
:love: u Riggy

Back atcha!

Seriously though, a lot of the times I feel like I suck at RP too. I just try to ignore that stupid voice in my head and play the game.

I don't think I've ever met a player who claimed to suck and sucked. ( There is a difference between actually sucking and thinking you suck )  On the other hand, out of those players who suck the most/worst, few if any would ever come close to suspecting that they might suck and many would vehemently deny it if it were pointed out to them..

So what does this all mean?

If you think you suck, or might suck, you probably don't, and if you think you don't suck (or if you know for a fact that you don't suck ) , then you probably would not realize it if you did  and probably would not really care either. At the end of the day, its all about having fun, not about "not sucking".

If you are having fun, then you are probably doing the right thing.

If you are tied and strained from trying not to suck at RP, then you are doing it wrong.  :P

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 10:16:19 pm »
i've spent a bit of time reading through my logs, starting with my first RP encounter ever (with Irec who helped me find a good spot to dig) and my last (Ara having a chat with Teeleh and Monola while trying to keep her cubs asleep), and the point is, my style changed... DRASTICALLY... over my time playing. In the end, I was probably worse, in that i spent my time online chatting in guild and training herbalism, mostly because i could never stay online long enough to really get involved with anything. and i think that's the point i want to make here, it's about how involved you are. everyone's got a style that they're comfortable with or that works for them. remember gartheiz? he was all about timing, and his timing was impeccable. and lace... man if you can take the time and mental energy to actually parse what he's saying, his storyline is quite entertaining.

that's all i really have to add to this, but you're making a good point, the both of yous.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 10:27:36 pm »
Seriously though, a lot of the times I feel like I suck at RP too. I just try to ignore that stupid voice in my head and play the game.

Wow, that is surprising. I wouldn't have figured you to have that voice in the back of your mind. :)

I agree with the basic ideas here. If anyone feels as though they are sucking they just need to stop for a moment, take a deep breath, try to figure out what it is they are try achieve through RP, create their own ruler based on manageable goals of what they are trying to accomplish, and then measure what they are actually doing. Chances are, people are typically fine, but if not then all they need to do is to make adjustments to fit personal RP rulers and accept that sometimes you might miss the mark but that's ok. Everyone can have an off day. :)

However, I do wish there was a good way of categorizing RP styles to aid in finding compatible RPers but that is like trying to herd cats down a slippery slope.

Suno_Regin

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 12:03:33 am »
How's the ban, Volki?

Also, you haven't been around long enough to point out any standard shifts in RP. I do find it amusing that you continue to harass certain people and you're still around, though. The GMs used to be a lot stricter. Who do you know in the team who's let you stay here this long? On the forums, I mean. Obviously you've done something unspeakable ingame to have actually gotten banned, from what I've seen that you're allowed to get away with.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 12:32:15 am »
I have been playing off and on for ~6 years.

This thread is not for drama. If you want to discuss my bans, you can do so on IRC or in private messages. I will be completely transparent, but this is not really the place for that.

Lumi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 04:11:39 am »
That is an intresting thread !

I had no idea of what was Rp-ing before entering PS. All i had was beeing a true fan of Theater and that's where my "style" come from (if we can call it a style :p ). Therefor i tend to emote a lot less and "give the message" throught dialogue. With the time spend on the game, i learned to "emote" a bit more, to adap to PS way to do. I don't know if it was someone style but i clearly noticed that "emoting" was part of it. What i mean by emoting is "describing my char action/mood as he talk".
We have not much way to learn "how to RP" then to observe people and take a bit of their "way to do"  and integrate it in ours. I have no idea if i "suck" or not, all i do is go for it and indeed have fun in the improvisation.

I loved Rigwyn way to RP because it sounded extremly theatrical / dramatic to me. So i would probably learn from him if i had to choose a "model" because it fit with my love of Theater. I would say the same of others char that i learned from, just reading them or interacting with them. I mean when you never Rp-ed before, you obviously need a "support" to start from anyways, i guess.

PS : Mariana ! I love reading your stories on the forum, don't you dare stop writing :(
<*> The Way of the Hammer <*>

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 11:55:57 am »
PS : Mariana ! I love reading your stories on the forum, don't you dare stop writing :(

seconded
all blessings to the assembled devotees.