Author Topic: sexism in gaming  (Read 1153 times)

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
sexism in gaming
« on: May 06, 2015, 10:04:07 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQbd5W7VKh4&hd=1

THE HORROR

disturbing scenes

sorry for traumatizing some people
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:43:48 am by Volki »
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: sexism in gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 01:38:15 am »
How many times can you kill a dead horse?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 06:56:03 am »
Though I've only heard of this Anita woman in passing, just listening to the amount of times she repeatedly uses "never" in regards to the sexualization and abuse of men tells me she's a narrow-minded ignorant sort of person.

The video was incredibly disturbing.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:40:26 pm by Mariana Xiechai »

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 07:54:11 am »
Uhm...why wasn't it flagged for 18+ on youtube...? I didn't even get a warning that it contains...content

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 03:45:44 pm »
Uhm...why wasn't it flagged for 18+ on youtube...? I didn't even get a warning that it contains...content

Men can't be sexualized/objectified/victimized. /s
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 01:45:53 am »
And trolls tend to generalize, in general.  :whistling:

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 06:27:14 pm »
And trolls tend to generalize, in general.  :whistling:

Not sure if you mean me or Sarkeesian.

Sarkeesian as a troll? I believe it. She makes money on it.

@Demagul, sorry for traumatizing you. :P I was also not prepared when I watched it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:28:58 pm by Volki »

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 06:43:07 pm »
*Demagul shivers has he tries to get some images out of his head. "B-but...w-why? ...how...?" He shakes the thought out of his head once and for all, but it lasts forever in his nightmares

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 01:39:48 am »
Hmm.. I didn't watch that video with sound.. I'm not sure I want to go back and play it again with sound. To be honest, I skimmed as it didn't really look all that interesting to me.

Why do people take objection to this?

It's like this huge knee jerk reaction pro or con to suggestive material. People tend to be on one side of the fence about it or the other, but rarely do they straddle the pickets.

The above is more a question for the individual and in invitation into really looking at the core of what makes one reject or accept it. A very superficial answer would be "I like or hate it because there are things in it that I do or do not like to look at." If you peel the onion a little and ask, "Why do I have these biases, and what purpose do they serve" you get a little closer to what I am poking at. I'm also pointing out here that these likes and dislikes are within the person, not on the canvas. I don't think you can make any form of art that everyone will like.

If I make a game or some work of art, I'm going to make it so that it appeals to some of those biases. If a work of art does not cater to some bias, then wouldn't it be bland and flavorless? It's neither pleasurable nor objectionable. For this reason, I have to lean towards allowing sexuality and hence some unavoidable degree of sexism in art so long as it is effective in pleasing the audience.

On the other hand, while you want to cater to biases, you really don't want to cause harm or unfriendliness towards those who would be biased against it... or is that just an unavoidable opposite side of the coin that just needs to be accepted? I think it raises a question about whether or not art should have boundaries.

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 02:59:04 am »
Gaming is sexist...ffs. White under socialized geeky boys develop games and guess what? They don't get laid...and so surprising that the one women who actually speaks up about the sick shit portrayed in gaming gets death threats from the same white geeky boys...sigh... get laid, learn something about oppression or STFU...gaming is f'ing sexist duh... Ask yourself, would I like my daughter to play games that carry these weak objectified, abused role models for women? and how fantastic is it to be a woman who has been raped to have to be triggered by the repeated rape scenario being played out over and over in so many games? ...and the stats say that almost half of the gamers out there are actually women, statistically you can count on a good portion of them having been abused or raped. Even more fun is the reality female programmers and developers have to deal with trying to get work in an industry that does not blink an eye at objectifying women. Good times. End rant. 

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 03:21:04 am »

Why don't they make games with things that appeal more to them then?

ludwigusdescartium

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 01:05:17 pm »
Gaming is sexist...ffs.

No it isn't.

get laid, learn something about oppression or STFU...

This sentence illustrates perfectly why the West has fallen into ruin.

Ask yourself, would I like my daughter to play games that carry these weak objectified, abused role models for women?

Yes.

and how fantastic is it to be a woman who has been raped to have to be triggered by the repeated rape scenario being played out over and over in so many games? ...

"Triggering" is a myth.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 01:31:13 pm »
Society's bored. Do we have nothing better to do than worry about sexism in gaming? Also, I wouldn't let my kids play games. Geez. They should read books and go outside.

In fact, children are best kept off the internet and computers.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:16:34 pm by Donari Tyndale »

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 06:00:27 pm »
The above is more a question for the individual and in invitation into really looking at the core of what makes one reject or accept it. A very superficial answer would be "I like or hate it because there are things in it that I do or do not like to look at." If you peel the onion a little and ask, "Why do I have these biases, and what purpose do they serve" you get a little closer to what I am poking at. I'm also pointing out here that these likes and dislikes are within the person, not on the canvas. I don't think you can make any form of art that everyone will like.

On the other hand, while you want to cater to biases, you really don't want to cause harm or unfriendliness towards those who would be biased against it... or is that just an unavoidable opposite side of the coin that just needs to be accepted? I think it raises a question about whether or not art should have boundaries.

You are a wise man, Rigwyn. As for boundaries, see the recent shooting at an art gallery in Texas. Violence/shaming should not suppress freedom of expression.

Gaming is sexist...ffs. White under socialized geeky boys develop games and guess what? They don't get laid...and so surprising that the one women who actually speaks up about the sick shit portrayed in gaming gets death threats from the same white geeky boys...sigh... get laid, learn something about oppression or STFU...

I will never understand your obsession with sex, but I want to ask, why in the world do you think it's insecure, anxiety-ridden geek boys making games? I've been gaming online for a long time. Boys like that do not go on to make games. They become NEETs or work a boring job that doesn't require social interaction.

On death threats, she definitely gets them. But it's not from those boys you are so quick to demonize. False flags, a Brazilian journalist, random trolls.

As a woman, I'm not oppressed. I don't see any of this "sick shit" in games directed at women. I play games with people you would call the worst of the worst, but they are not sexist and do not play sexist games (main reason being that those games don't exist). Even Sarkeesian could not come up with enough content to counter the video I posted in the OP.

would I like my daughter to play games that carry these weak objectified, abused role models for women?

TIL Samus and Lara Croft are weak, objectified, abused role models. I grew up playing Metroid and Zelda. Hell, in Zelda, the princess you have to save isn't weak or objectified. She was secretly a ninja! The reason you're saving her isn't because she's a woman. It's because she's the ruler of a kingdom.

and how fantastic is it to be a woman who has been raped to have to be triggered by the repeated rape scenario being played out over and over in so many games? ...and the stats say that almost half of the gamers out there are actually women, statistically you can count on a good portion of them having been abused or raped. Even more fun is the reality female programmers and developers have to deal with trying to get work in an industry that does not blink an eye at objectifying women. Good times. End rant.

What repeated rape scenarios? Where are you finding these? The only ones I'm aware of are in player-made mods which are for your pleasure. I've hung out a lot with aspiring developers and programmers, some who are already in the industry. Not sure if you're saying the industry is inherently sexist. If so, I doubt that's the case. Gaming is, compared to any other form of entertainment, extremely egalitarian.

children are best kept off the internet and computers.

truth

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 12:57:52 am »

Men can't be sexualized/objectified/victimized. /s
This is why I don't take feminists seriously