Author Topic: Improvements in texture size/poly count? Art reference repository?  (Read 519 times)

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
I'm curious if PS will see any improvements in the art department with the switch to UE4. The textures as of now look like soup. Will we use 1024x textures? Will the poly count of meshes be upped? The maximum count for character models is 2k polygons according to the wiki, which is fair, but in game models do not reflect that.

Last question: is there a repository of reference textures and styles? Do players have access?
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Improvements in texture size/poly count? Art reference repository?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 01:22:53 am »
Mhm, I think in PlaneShift we have lots of very old art, some of which has been replaced by more detailed models with better texturing. If you look at the more recent models like both the female and male nolthrir characters, that looks actually pretty nice. So, yeah, I hope that porting to UE4 will catch the attention and interest of artists to create more such work, which of course takes some time and effort.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:24:50 am by Bonifarzia »

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:58:30 am »
The only textures which will likely changes are:
A-Terrain, as this will be made new.
B-Plants for terrain, trees/bushes etc.. as these will be added new.

All current models will use the same textures and meshes as they do now, as we CAN NOT remake them to a higher resolution/poly count. We have nobody to remake the 1000s of textures and meshes currently in game.

Upon deciding to try the move to UE4 everyone in the team said they would like to be able to ramp up the resolution of the whole game but it is currently an impossible task. A dozen artists would have to suddenly appear who all work for ages remaking everything before we could event contemplate it. The decision to move to UE4 was not primarily taken from the POV of improving the art, there are lots of advantages moving to UE4 has beyond 'looking pretty'.

Now, saying that you will see differences in the textures in PS as we take advantage of new advanced shaders, but as the resolution is very low the quality of the final art will still be limited by that.

An example is this, https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kwhtc718na76sc/stonesside.png?dl=0 , the texture here is only 128*128 which is why it doesn't look as good as it might. But i still think its an improvement.

Now I don't really know what you mean by 'repository of reference textures and styles' but I'm pretty sure the answer is 'No'. Just use the art in game as a reference to what style PS uses. Its all available in the 'materials.zip' file in the installation directory.

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 01:48:40 pm »
My apologies to OP for using this thread, but I thought it is better than starting a new and somehow related one.
Anyway, I think that this could be interesting:http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/09/epic-games-releases-2-million-in-art-and-sound-assets-for-free

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 01:54:34 pm »
When "normal maps" are used quite regularly, a conservative polygon count won't be so obvious. Visible details are added by textures simulating bumps in surfaces depending on the light sources in this area of the world.

I know some games use overlays of generic detail textures where there are no specific ones. Might be a way to conceal flaws.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty