Author Topic: Theoretically usable morningstar mesh  (Read 749 times)

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Theoretically usable morningstar mesh
« on: January 14, 2005, 01:38:32 pm »
I did anything i could to smash the Polycount under 400. If you think it is usable I will maybe later make a texture.
So actual Polycount = 398 or so.
made in wings3D.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 01:39:44 pm by Merdarion »
I want to be a flame, to crumble to ash, but never ever burnt.

I want to rise higher, rise up to the heavens, but sink, just sink down deeper and deeper into nothing,

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that ever wants what it wont get.

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 01:47:17 pm »
REALLY blurry. I can barely make it out, mind posting some higher res pics?

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 02:39:56 pm »

Here is a wireframe and a shaded screenie from within wings.

I want to rise higher, rise up to the heavens, but sink, just sink down deeper and deeper into nothing,

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that ever wants what it wont get.

WiseKran

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 08:09:46 pm »
I was under the impression that you cant contribute with wings :(

only Blender, and 3dsmax...

read the guide to contributing in 3d

Farewell Moogie, Farewell Draklar, Farewell Drey. you will be missed.

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 09:47:08 pm »
You just have to convert it into the right format. I think with a good texture, it could look awesome.

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 03:20:28 am »
Blender can import .wings files, I am sure (if this damn Python script doesnt strike).

Well I will try to make a tex. But I am not a 2D artist.

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 08:14:45 am »
Hi!

Very nice model, I think. If you want to reduce the polygon count even further, I suggest you concentrate on the chain. The hitting head looks too good to be messed with :) The handle, although simple, is fine too, and with texture it can be made pretty detailed.

You could try making the chain rings rectangular (4 cornered), that would also ease their linking with both ends. Just my opinion, but let\'s see:

Current chain: 16 rings, 5 corners and 3 sides per ring. That\'s 16 * (5*3) = 240 polygons on the chain.

4 corner chain: 16 rings, 4 corners, 3 sides. 16 * (4*3) = 192 polys. Hmm, you\'d win 48 polygons (96 tri).

You can also win some faces if you delete those parts of the ring that go inside the handle and the hitting head.

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 08:39:43 am »
Its pretty hard to get away parts of things in Wings especially for n00bs like me.

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 12:10:05 pm »
Greetings,

and don\'t worry, we\'re all inexperienced at something. For instance, i\'m a real noob cook, i burninate everything! ;) To the subject then:

I can cut stuff in my Wings3D like this:

1. Switch to face select mode (see small red arrow)
2. Drag select the wanted faces
3. press Delete-key

That should do it, at least in the newest version of Wings. Downloadable from http://www.wings3d.com/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 12:12:25 pm by Cherppow »

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 01:00:08 pm »
thank you very much.

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 03:35:21 pm »
Here\'s what you do, make your chain links longer and skinnier (an oval - Edit: 3 sided rectangle links would be fine) then make your chain about 1/2 as long as it is now.  Real one\'s had shorter chains (or longer handles) so that the ball could not come back and strike the user in the hand (see references - especially the last one).  That should make you use about 1/3 the rings.  Then you may even have enough polys to add some detail to your overly simple handle.

:emerald:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 03:38:01 pm by ArcaneFalcon »