Author Topic: Post editting tools request  (Read 987 times)

Lyrah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Post editting tools request
« on: April 09, 2005, 10:11:34 pm »
I have looked in user control panel for an option to have greater editting tools, but I couldn\'t find it. Maybe I was looking late a night, and maybe you just do not have the option.

Tools I request are:
one button push to use:
Italics or bold letters
smilies codes put into One button menu over there>>>

Requested smilies would be happy, BIG grin, clap hands, nodding yes, shaking head no, sunglasses, Laughing out loud, crying, violin, surprised, embarassed, and sick with maybe an optional (more) list.

a spell check A La MS Word or other word processing programs.

OH and an option to delete your own post in a thread or delete your OWN new thread if no one else has posted to it yet. (not sure if the delete thread would be granted, might be a MOD only option, but deleting own thread shouldn\'t be asking TOO much).

I think these would help very many posters...myself included.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 10:33:09 pm by Lyrah »

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 11:17:36 pm »

A spellchecker? Use MS Word. Unless you want to code it yourself, in which case, feel free. :)

Deleting your own posts would be a bad idea. Don\'t want people to post abusive things and then delete it before a moderator comes along. It\'s bad enough that people can edit. :P

Ghostslayer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 12:20:26 am »
Just to note that to enable the bold/italic stuff & smilies shortcuts you have to have \"Use BBCode quick buttons and smilies\" enabled in your Profile -> Edit options if you didn\'t see it.
Blitzers Guild
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.

fireofsoul

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 12:23:34 am »
Moogie, you have a magical post thingy....

--> Found how to make it just now :D

Lordbug

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Magic Mugs!
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge Seekers guild
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 04:25:57 am »
eheh, I turned mine on and didn\'t know I did :P
right after I register somewhere I go check the preferences and edit them.

Deleting your own posts would be a bad idea. Don\'t want people to post abusive things and then delete it before a moderator comes along. It\'s bad enough that people can edit.

The stupid and ofensive messages are to be deleted... so why not a deleting option? And what about those \"Oops! Double posted, delete this please!\" posts just kinda give too much work to forum moderators?
I don\'t think this \"delete own posts\" idea is that bad
"Lordbug" Dosaki, Chancellor of Knowledge Seekers Guild

Where does the PlaneShift Modding Community live nowadays?

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 10:45:17 am »
There\'s a difference... it\'s better that a moderator deletes offensive messages because then they have seen what was said, and who said it. If everyone deleted their own offensive messages before a moderator saw it, nobody would ever get banned. :P

As for double post clearing, that\'s just part of the job.

Externals

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Awesome
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 12:16:13 pm »
I didnt even know there was an advanced way of editing your posts. I was always wondering how to underline words and such. Well thanx Moogie.
Of course you should fight fire with fire, you should fight everything with fire.   :P  Xantherus Icer  :P

Lyrah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 04:49:38 pm »
Nope Ghost, I had looked a few times and hadn\'t seen it. I tend to use bold and italics alot  when I can find it. Most other forums use the drop down box for this feature is what threw me off.

And yes Moogie that was what I was talking about. It took a while for me to find it. I guess I need the coffee pot closer to the keyboard  ;)

Ok, change my request to making this format of posting default pretty please. Thank you!

Originally posted by Ghostslayer
Just to note that to enable the bold/italic stuff & smilies shortcuts you have to have \"Use BBCode quick buttons and smilies\" enabled in your Profile -> Edit options if you didn\'t see it.

---------------------

On my old cable connection I used to double post alot, not sure why, but on this DSL...rock solid. Haven\'t double posted in four months or more.

I can see why not delete, but is there a way to delete a post that is not obsene or breaking manners rules, but once the caffeine kicks in you see the other posts on it?  Would that be a PM to a moddy? Or should I editted the post with a \"Moddy...please kill me!!\"

What is the proper procedure for that? I mean I try to add threads that are at least good for a friendly discussion, but sometimes...I miss the mark (like anyone else can.)

I was just trying to help out, but I guess I didn\'t see the ugly side of removing ones own posts. *sighs* you\'re right on that part of course.

(but if you see a post that is offensive enough, you can obviously screen print and host the image like Moogie did above, one screen print might not impress a mod, but six from different people is clear as a bell!)

Originally posted by Moogie
There\'s a difference... it\'s better that a moderator deletes offensive messages because then they have seen what was said, and who said it. If everyone deleted their own offensive messages before a moderator saw it, nobody would ever get banned. :P

Edit by Moogie: Another double post merged... you did this one on purpose, not by accident :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 07:43:57 am by Lyrah »

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 01:37:18 pm »
Iv had mine on for quite a while though i never use it...
Lol Internet

Lordbug

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Magic Mugs!
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 07:17:00 am »

You like to ban people? :P Kidding ;)
Ok, I just thought it would make the work easier, but if you\'re ok with the double posting, then I\'m ok too :)

Platyna

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 07:54:32 am »
Well, you can as well edit your post to something like: DELETED before
moderator will find out, so I can\'t see how granting users permissions to
remove their post can prevent hiding the content from moderators.

Regards.
Zuzanna K. Filutowska
RPG Players Community || Platyna\'s Planeshift Warehouse
\"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.\" -- Edward Burke

Keyaz

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 03:55:54 pm »
itsa pain in the ass to bother with and they have better things to work on, case solved :D

Lordbug

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Magic Mugs!
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 12:10:51 pm »
lol Demarthl

Platyna made a point there... unless Forum Moderators can see what was written before that...

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 12:29:11 pm »
No, we can\'t see what was written before. But both deleting and editing can be abused- so it comes down to a choice, and we choose to allow editing, not deleting.

Deleting stuff is something only a moderator should have the power to do, whereas people should be allowed to edit their posts to fix typos and other errors.

Even if someone spammed the forum with obscenities and then edited all their posts to remove it, a moderator can still see that they posted all over the place, because their posts remain. If the spammer could delete all his posts before a moderator saw, he would be safe.