Author Topic: Questions about importing already-made art (I.E. open something @ planeshift/art  (Read 1871 times)

Jauffre Martin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Hello, computer geniouses!  :)
I've searched around the forums for a few hours now and haven't found any specific topics about importing an item (such as a helm) to blender already-made from C:/Program Files/Planeshift Crystal Blue/Art in one of the zip files.
Do I need some sort of plugin to convert the .dds and .spr extensions to something compatible with Blender?
The reason I'd like to do this is to see how the genuine PS modelers work on their models and hopefully learn a few things in the process.  :D
Also, what would be the best way to present a (hopefully) finished work to the PS public and how would the devs go about getting it from me/using it in game?
Keep in mind to dumb things down a bit as I've only started modeling a week or two ago  :surrender:
Thanks for any assistance,
Jauffre

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
There is nothing out there that can import .spr or Cal3D files back into a modeling application - as far as I have always known, it is a one-way deal. .DDS however can be worked with using some of Nvidia's Texture Tools. There are 3DS Max and Photoshop plugins and a Windows Texture Viewer that might come in handy - and here is a DDS plugin for The GIMP - so you can load them up and export them into another format Blender will recognize.

If you've made something that you would like to share in hopes of getting it in-game, first you need to show the dev team - if something is posted publicly, like on the forums, Talad will more often than not leave it out. Try to catch a dev on IRC - server freenode, channel #planeshift. Or you can send a PM on the boards, straight to Talad for example.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Jauffre Martin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
As I don't have the GIMP, is there any way or (safe) website to download it via installer? I'm having a little trouble with all the directories, and one of the prereqisite files isn't opening properly.
Also, would i be able to export my file (from Blender) into a suitable format for the software Talad uses (if it isn't Blender)? (Just to speed up the process if I ever send anything to him)
Thanks

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
The website I linked to is GIMP's official - completely safe. Which directories, and for what exactly, are giving you trouble? :]

When it comes to exporting, I think using the native Blender format would be alright. One of our developers, Cherppow, uses Blender extensively. But before you send models, Talad will probably want screenshots - if he likes them, he will no doubt give you further details and directions.

Jauffre Martin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Nevermind about the whole GIMP thing. I collaborated with a friend on PS and found this site:
http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/DDS_Converter;29412
I'm not sure if it's completely safe/free of adware but it can convert into (yay!) .png format which blender can understand along with a few other file types.
If only I had the structure, and not just the overlay that goes on it. Ah, well. It's a good start  :thumbup:

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
You can use Viewmesh to look at PlaneShift models, and Walktest to explore the maps :) You just don't have as many options as you would with a modeling software - but that's also to prevent people from quickly snatching things away and reusing them in other projects.

Good luck with your experiments! I'm eagerly awaiting seeing your results :]

Jauffre Martin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Ok, I have semi-officially made...
A pile of dust!

Which brings about some new questions, such as:
What would be a good standard size for any PS textures? (I've heard the pixel size has to be in a power of 2?)
If this item was loaded into the game without any Z offset, where would the 'ground' be in comparison to the X-Y plane in Blender?
How do I find out how many polygons I've used (so I can get the count down to a decent 200 or so), and will planeshift accept quads and n-gons?
Would it be a good idea to extend the base of my pile o' dust past where it would sit on a level plane, so if it's dropped on a hill or something you won't see the underside?

That being said, do you think Talaad would be interested in my humble project or does he like the dwarf model better?  :lol:
[Edit: also, is there any way to view weapons/armor/items in viewmesh? It seems to need a .cal3d file to tie everything together. Also, how can I reduce the number of polygons in my project? (I'm covered with expansion by subdivide)]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:20:13 am by Jauffre Martin »

Wired_Crawler

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Which brings about some new questions, such as:
What would be a good standard size for any PS textures? (I've heard the pixel size has to be in a power of 2?)

PS uses relatively small textures, pieces of size 512x512 px are rarely used.
Read about efficient textures in Crystal Space documentation, chapter ->"Efficient Textures"

If this item was loaded into the game without any Z offset, where would the 'ground' be in comparison to the X-Y plane in Blender?

At local cordinate z=0, it means, the point of origin of the mesh, look:

Surface of ground, table etc. will go through mesh origin.
You can adjust position of origin using the following buttons:

How do I find out how many polygons I've used

Select a mesh and activate edit mode. You will see number of vertices, edges and faces in upper right corner of the screen:

(so I can get the count down to a decent 200 or so)

If You mean 200 polys (triangles) for pile of dust - I'd say it is way too much for so simple object in PS. It does not mean, that it is too much for modern hardware though.

, and will planeshift accept quads and n-gons?

Crystal Space handles only triangles and quads, so build your models using only those two kind of polygons. Usually it is better to convert all polys to triangles before exporting model for CS, because UV mapping works better this way. Polygons of mesh exported as genmesh are always converted to triangles.

Would it be a good idea to extend the base of my pile o' dust past where it would sit on a level plane, so if it's dropped on a hill or something you won't see the underside?

Your decision.

That being said, do you think Talaad would be interested in my humble project or does he like the dwarf model better?  :lol:

If You want to create content for PS, go there -> Internal Dev site, but only if You are confident that your modeling/texturing skills are high enough.
You also may want to speak to Talad personally on irc, channel #planeshift at irc.freenode.net.
Hmmm... good luck ;) and don't give up easily.

[Edit: also, is there any way to view weapons/armor/items in viewmesh? It seems to need a .cal3d file to tie everything together.

Any .spr file can be viewed with viemesh. You only must put textures in right places or modify .spr file (in text editor). Curently (AFAIK) cal3d files are used only for characters and monsters.
BTW: there is cal3d importer for 3d Studio Max in cal3d source tree, but I don't know how (if) it works.

Also, how can I reduce the number of polygons in my project? (I'm covered with expansion by subdivide)]

The best way is to make it low poly from the beginning. Tools which can reduce number of polygons not always give good results. If You want to experiment try decimator modifier on any high poly mesh (for pile of dust it should be fine):

You can also remove vertices/edges/faces manually, but it really is easier to add more than to remove some without breaking a model.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:35:34 pm by Wired_Crawler »
"Close the world, txEn eht nepO."

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
I've never been able to get the cal3d importer to work with max, I think the code was written with version 6 of the max SDK. Looking through the code, it looks like it imports only bones and not polygons or UVs.

Nice post, Wired_Crawler :]

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

Jauffre Martin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Yes, extremely helpful post - thank you!  :)
I followed your advice: I resized the texture to 64x64, put the origin on the bottom middle of my pile, and narrowed my pile of dust down from about 1400 faces including quads (yes, I'm not very conservative) to a mere 37 vertices all in neat little three-sided polygons. Oh, and I lightened it up a bit so it wouldn't be confused with 'pile of dirt'  ;).

Set Smooth apparently seems to do little difference to the model. I suppose it's due to the concealing factor of my pixellated texture?
I'll have to fiddle around with viewmesh and IRC later.
Thanks again for the useful tips!
[Edit: I worked some with viewmesh.. I can load the .spr files fine, but apparently the directory is screwed up when I copy the item into another file. Any way I can set up my new directory so it's like the old one and load the mesh fully textured?]
[Edit 2: I found out that by putting a file directory 'planeshift/<zip file name that the model came in> inside the Crystal Space data file allowed me to view the models with textures. Also making a file named 'SPRs' and putting all the .spr model files in it allowed me to quickly and easily access most of the PS item models. For some reason it didn't work with the shields.zip file, though.]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 10:59:13 am by Jauffre Martin »

Jauffre Martin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Small question.... How often does Talaad check his inbox?  :sweatdrop:

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
PM or forums? :] He's on the forums every couple of days, but reaching him by email is a bit harder - he gets tons of them every day. IRC is probably your best choice for contacting him - server freenode, channel #planeshift.