Author Topic: Help - PS 0.3.0.17 - Mac build  (Read 1621 times)

Runic

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Help - PS 0.3.0.17 - Mac build
« on: November 23, 2006, 11:41:13 pm »
I have compiled a Mac version of PS 0.3.0.17  \\o//

But it's still having many issues. 
(very buggy - so don't ask me to send it to you) 
:thumbdown: :beta: :detective:

I was wondering if anyone here knows where I could get an up-to-date version of the PS "art" folder  ???

I did get the updater program to run, but it will not pull the lastest art for mac.
(fails since there is no version file on the server I believe)

EDIT:
Nevermind I have gotten the updater to work

« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 03:21:13 pm by Runic »

Ralleyon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Protector in the Survivors of Vaern
    • View Profile
Re: Help - PS 0.3.0.17 - Mac build
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 03:44:57 am »
The art folder can be easily obtained from the Windows or Linux builds... simply copy those folders or ask someone to build a package out of them and host them somewhere. Alternatively, you can set the updater to download only specific data from the internet (from a config file - updaterconfig.xml unless I am mistaken) and I think that downloading only the art does not break your compile.

However, since you managed to build on a mac, a lot of people might benefit from this knowledge... perhaps you can whip up a small guide for those more technically inclined  ;)
To see the world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

[William Blake - Auguries of Innocence]

Runic

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 06:29:44 pm »
First know that you will need to compile several other open source projects before even getting to compiling PS. Have plenty of spare HD space available. Some required libs may already be installed in your MacOS System some you may not have. I used Fink to grab several of them, such as the latest autoconfig and automake. But Fink will not have everything you will need.

I started by followed the documentation that comes with the planeshift's source code for compiling on linux using gcc with some deviations. (Keep in mind that this document is out of date for PS 0.3.17 hopefully they will update it.)
This document is found in the PS source code "planeshift/docs/compiling.html"
or online @
http://planeshift.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/planeshift/planeshift/docs/compiling.html

cal3d Notes:

The latest cal3d comes with an xcode project which builds a cal3d.framework. This framework builds fine but was not what I wanted in this case. I instead wanted it in it's standard dynamic library form. (i.e. "libcal3d.12.dylib")  So I just followed the "Basic Installation" section of the "INSTALL" document within the cal3d folder

CS and CEL Notes:

Remember the compiling instructions document for PS linux gcc is old. So the revision numbers are wrong for PS 0.3.0.17 - I actually found the right revision numbers to use from the linux support threads here.

cal3d (pulled latest on 2006-11-22)
crystalspace (release 1.1-r25803)
cel (release 1.1-r2369)
planeshift ( pulled latest on 2006-11-22)

-- maybe try the latest release for both CS and CEL as I have read somewhere there have been FIXES added to the CVS server for CS recently ( was said to fix over zealous lighting on BD and Oja roads -- yellowed ground -- I tried this and it helps some but he lighting in those areas still appears to strong)

Before compiling CS, or any other program for that matter,  you should read it's documentation for compiling and get as many of the external libs it recommends -- FYI, I did not compile CEGUI, would have to look over the list again to see if I skipped any others.

PS Notes:
After compiling PS for Mac, your not done.
There are a few bash scripts in the folder "/planeshift/support/macosx/"  of the planeshift source. These scripts are out of date and would most like need edited to match your setup anyways. Look them over and correct them for your setup and the use them to finish up the PS build. Remember these scripts are old and some libs names may have changed or be missing. Once you get the scripts fixed and ran. You should now have a PS client that will try to connect to a local PS server.

I then meshed together the newly built PS apps with a 0.3.0.16 released data, art , etc. files to create a version that would connect to the real PS server. I also ran the updater. (be careful running the updater as it may break your built apps - if it does just replace them again)

If  updater.app crashes after you launch it, Try adding the following to the psupdater.cfg:

Video.OpenGL.UseExtension.GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object = false
Video.OpenGL.UseExtension.GL_EXT_texture_rectangle = false
Video.OpenGL.UseExtension.GL_ARB_texture_rectangle = false
Video.OpenGL.UseExtension.GL_NV_texture_rectangle = false

I'm not sure if all 4 lines are really needed as I added them all at once. 

Also note that not having the required art or data files used by the updater.app can also cause the updater.app to crash

(Hey, Dev Guys what's up with this? -- Is there a reason this file is not on the servers? -- "data/servers.xml~")
I have also found that the updater tries to pull the file "data/servers.xml~" but this file is not available on any of the update servers that I know of and it was stopping me from getting all files scheduled after that one.  I was able to get all the files needed, I think, by setting the updater.app to only pull the art files then run the update and then setting the updater to get the data files and run the updater again.  As it appears the "data/server.xml~" file is tried last within the data files group but if you are pulling both art and data files at the same time some art files end up after the "data/server.xml~"

if you do mange to get the game up and running - you will most likely need to run it from the command line using the -relight command to fix the lighting of different sections of the PS world. Just remember when using -relight area loading will take much much longer and the program will appear non-responsive. Relighting a map can take hours for some areas. if you open Activity Monitor.app you can watch the disk IO to see that it is working slowly at relighting the map.

If you use the updater.app after relighting maps, The maps will need to be relight again.

If your to impatient to wait for -relight  then use -fullbright instead.

Problems I am still having with my macosx build:
- portals from one area to another have graphical glitches much worse than what I experienced with 0.3.0.16
- many unable to open image errors in log
- many ( Got DR message for unknown entity xxxx. ) errors in log
- Fail to set trait errors in log
- Bad UV coords errors in log
- many more errors then I care to list
- lots of lag that comes and goes -- I'm seeing many DR messages when it lags down. Mostly when I'm near other players
- transparent areas on models show with a sky texture (i.e. not transparent) I had this issue with 0.3.0.16 too.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 06:07:13 pm by Runic »

Ralleyon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Protector in the Survivors of Vaern
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 06:27:52 am »
Awesome! Thank you for the update, I'll be sure to let some folks know of the existance of this thread  :)
To see the world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

[William Blake - Auguries of Innocence]

Runic

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:28:24 pm »
No Problem,

FYI, I have added a few additions about issues with the updater.app

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 10:29:12 pm by Runic »

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:15:19 pm »
Thanks for posting this detail, Runic. I was trying to work through this last weekend, but my Darwin Ports install was not behaving as expected. Good work.

Runic

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 12:38:57 pm »
Your welocme,

Feel free to add any notes to this thread you fell might be helpful to others, as I may have left out a few things since I only wrote what I could remember.