Author Topic: A Lord's Will [Short Story]  (Read 2601 times)

daehaz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: A Lord's Will [Short Story]
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 09:34:41 am »

My search for enlightenment in Religion was unfruitful. The priests and worshippers I talked to heard my questions but only to answer them with more lies.

The Gods are blind despite their power. Talad and Laanx claim they shaped this world but this world is all lie. It is just a façade, an illusion, and they are prisoners of their own deception. Haunted by their petty war over lost beauty and emotions unbecoming of a deity.

Xiosia is no different, offering freedom for the wild spirited. Her worshippers blindly accept their place in the world and call it “balance”. They welcome their role as pawns and cattle.

Dakkru is a parasite just like the others, scavenging on the souls of the dead. They all cling to their possessions like mortals, desperate for worshippers and claiming pieces of the world as theirs, as if that were the source of their divinity.

No. The Gods cannot see beyond the surface. They cannot see the Truth.

I saw it once and was punished.

I understood once and was broken.

And the truth I knew fell into Oblivion.

Yet, I shall recall.

daehaz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 09:39:38 am »

The walls of his new manor sometimes made him think of the fire, as it would happen to him every time he entered a building. He would amuse himself guessing how long it would take to burn it down but with no serious intentions of finding out. It would serve no purpose this time.

Instead he stayed focused on his objective: to reconnect with the Truth. But a spell that kills the caster is as useless as a melody that destroys the instrument. He had to find a way to hear the Truth without becoming deaf to all other sounds. Only then would he acquire real power. The power to shape the illusion of reality at will.

His position in society was safe. In his madness, not only had Gauran given him his family name and appointed him as his one and only legitimate heir but he had also given in to corruption. He made use of his connections and wealth to buy the prisoner’s freedom. On him, he recognized the very symptoms his wife had but unlike other victims of magical madness he had heard or seen, this one happened to have survived. He was precious to him and worth every sin he was about to commit.

The prisoner received Ortarchal Pardon. “Mitigating circumstances”, they said.

He was put in a strange platinum cell encrusted with crystals of different colors and transported to the Dyaz Estate by megaras. Not long after that, a strange plague broke in the prison, killing everyone there. Authorities blamed it on the bad conditions of the facilities after finding broken pipes and entire areas flooded.

The workers that had built the dungeon never left. Their last task was to place the heavy platinum box inside the iron cage. All of them had to help so it could be set in the right spot, in very center of the room, where all the carvings on the floor met. Then the cage was locked. Confused, they looked at Gauran for an explanation. The bars were never meant for the prisoner but for those who had built the dungeon and now they were trapped.

Everything was in place: the glyphs, the crystals, the torches, and the prisoners. Sitting on his armchair, Gauran cast the vortex of light and burned their bodies while the prisoner screamed inside the platinum box that filtered the terrible energy released upon them and only he survived, as had been the plan all along. For him it would be the first of many sessions of treatment.

With Gauran’s death, Dono Dyaz was complete. There is nothing that will link him to his former life except for the word of those who might recognize his face and even then he will still win. His word is above that of any peasant’s and his wealth and freedom were secured. If anything, he enjoys being recognized by those he hated so much before. It is a small but satisfying victory over them.

But the fact is they are unimportant, not worthy of his attention when rumors of a faceless whisper have reached his ear. They are the Faithful Ones who hide underground and they practice the forbidden faith, the one all the others fear and hate. They call it madness as well and it might very well be because it defies their precious illusion. Perhaps their god is the master sitting outside the cage, amused by the little creatures he holds in captivity. If so, then that shall be the path that will reconnect him with the Truth.

He nods, looking through the window of his new Hydlaa mansion in the winch district. The crystal light dims as the shadows of twilight create a world of their own.

“Yes”, he says smiling. “I am Daehaz”.

daehaz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 09:39:20 am »
[The story you just read -if you read it, that is- is based on both things that have happened in-game and the character's background story. You can follow and join the current events of this RP here. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it (and if you didn't well, bite me). Thanks to Donari for spotting a few typos and letting me know. Always appreciated.]
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:10:48 pm by daehaz »

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 02:34:53 pm »
 ;D. Your story is great!

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 04:42:28 pm »
[I love it  :P]
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Ghosts|Jestal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 07:48:09 am »
This story rox! Lol. :D
Signature deleted for being too small. It was soo small, it represented the smallest sig in the world.

daehaz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 10:45:17 am »
[Thanks guys! I'm glad you liked it :D. Chapter two is in the making now ;).]

Deckchair

• Traveller
  • Ign: Yarrwin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 12:51:41 am »
ive read it twice,  this story is awesome, cant wait for chapter 2 :thumbup: \\o//
Yarrwin: "Look! A distraction!"
Hucirel: "Were? Were is it?"