Author Topic: Can't Open .bin File. Assist!!!  (Read 404 times)

Jehanam

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Can't Open .bin File. Assist!!!
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:59:38 am »
Hi,
I have just installed PlaneShift on my computer and I can;t seem to open the .bin file. I've been looking for any other forum admissions that would help me out but its only managed to confuse me more. There seems to be a "chmod +x command" which i've never heard of. Im completely dumbfound by the situation. If some1 could possibly give me a jist of the installation process in more or less "Installation for Dumbies" format i would be must appreciative. Ummm... there is any information about about my operating system i'll be happy to help. All I can say is that I have XP and that the file i downloaded is the PlaneShift_CBV0.3.020x96.bin.

KK thanks

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Open .bin File. Assist!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:20:55 am »
You've downloaded the wrong file! :) You need the windows .exe installer.

Jehanam

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 11:44:57 pm »
 ::| That is particularly annoying since i clicked the Windows one from a mirrorsite suitable for Australia. Ehh could sum1 just direct me to the proper download... i've got a download cap and i dont wish to cap it by downloading the wrong file again.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 04:32:43 am »
This is weird. If I follow the australian link it tells me that the file is the windows client, named PlaneShift_CBV0.3.020.exe, and the size is the same as the windows download I have on my computer, which is slightly smaller than the linux ones. Also it wants to save the file with the correct name. Are you sure you downloaded from the right link?

I suggest you try either the torrent download:  http://laanx.fragnetics.com/bt/PlaneShift_CBV0.3.020.exe.torrent
or one of the other servers:
http://download.xordan.com/PlaneShift_CBV0.3.020.exe

The torrent one is generally nice, as it spreads bandwith use (and can be really fast. I downloaded with 350kb/s when there were only ten seeds). The second one is hosted by one of the devs, and really should be correct.

Good luck.

http://games.internode.on.net/filelist.php?filedetails=13459

Jehanam

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 06:43:39 am »
Yea I was 100% sure i had gotten the correct file download ( i even checked it twice!!!  :-\). O well i will try the download again tonight during off-peak hours, fingers crossed!
Btw... thanks for the help its much appreciated

Zhaxor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 05:29:04 am »
If it is the correct size and came from the correct place did you try changing the name to .exe rather than .bin, sometimes downloaders just get it wrong and screw up and change the file extension.