Author Topic: Why no poison?  (Read 1993 times)

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
Re: Why no poison?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 12:38:32 am »
Killing with poison is dishonorable, it doesn't require a lot of skill. You can kill someone way out of your league by poisoning their sandwich. :P It's an assassin tool and assassins are against the laws.

Now if you want to talk about the real world. Every self-respecting army invests millions of dollars in biological and chemical warfare research. Poison is used to give death row criminals a 'clean' death or for euthanasia. Of course if you want to use 'good' and 'evil' in the real world you're already way off base. There is no such thing out there :P

Poison is just an ancient term from back in the dark ages when people didn't understand chemistry and biology yet. Right now you are surrounded by poisons that each have their use but they don't go by that name anymore. Alcohol, drugs, most medications, cleaning products, radiation, ... all are 'poisons' and all can be used to kill people. Heck, I can poison you with water if you let me. ;D

heh, again, dishonourable is often viewed in a negative context, therefore associated with less than model citizens, bringing us back to the whole thing about courage...blahblahblah.

The thing with saying 'good guys use this, bad guys use this' is that it all depends on which side you are on. And somehow, the good guys always seem to be outnumbered and the use of poison is then justified. Notice how whatever means they use, it always ends up being justified somehow (even if it is outrageous and illogical).

that brings up another question...the water part.

is it just a myth, or can you really get 'drunk' from drinking too much water?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 12:44:31 am by Liadan »

Prolix

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 01:12:29 am »

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 08:28:11 am »
all are 'poisons' and all can be used to kill people. Heck, I can poison you with water if you let me. ;D

Apparently so.

I guess Zan can poison someone with water after all. 

i wonder if it changes between pure water, filtered water, mineral water and tap water...

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 09:18:27 am »
Everything is toxic depending on the quantities you ingest.

I don't get it why heroes don't use poison either. It's probably because people usually enjoy seeing heroes win through glorious fighting and poison isn't glorious or fancyful. I bet we'll have more of that in the future though... People are  getting creative nowadays.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 10:25:16 am »
Liadan pure water kills rather quickly, a few glasses and you're practically a goner. Filtered water is similar but a bit slower and tap and mineral water don't really differ much methinks .. there you'll need a whole lot though. The mechanism behind water poisoning is that it can throw your internal ion balance, well .. off-balance. :P

Sangwa is also right.

"All substances are poisons: there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." - Paracelsus (1493-1541)

And I do understand why heroes don't use poison. It's because of the skill factor.

Take this exaggerated example:

Once upon a time there was a good guy. This good guy desperately wanted to become a warrior so he left his cosy farm home at the age of 14 and roamed the world in search of a teacher. A good couple years and teachers later he finally found a good one. The teacher he found was very hard on good guy and made him train day and night. Whether it rained, snowed or the sun scorched the earth, training went on.

Many years later good guy left his teacher and started roaming the lands again. He had a good few skirmishes, which he not only survived but also won. Quickly his name became more known and his fame gave him the ability to join any warlord or king around. Obviously good guy chose a honorable king to follow. In his king's name he quickly became a great hero, fighting for the people and all that. Some people were convinced good guy was invincible in battle and probably descended from the gods themselves.

Then one night bad guy, some lazy bum that wastes his life hanging around poor districts, getting women in his bed and being drunk whenever he has money. Now bad guy happens to stumble across good guy in a very drunk mood and he starts picking a fight. Good guy doesn't want to fight at first but obviously he can't let himself be beaten up completely so he defends himself.

Bad guy notices this, through a fog of alcohol, pulls a tube out, sticks a poisoned blowdart in it and blows it at good guy. Good guy gets hit in his arm and forcefully pushes bad guy aside, being fed up with this brawl. Then he continues down his path until a few days later he's found dead in bed.

The end. :P

Course don't look at me, I'm someone who doesn't like guns for the same reason.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Wibble myself: 17years I was gone, give or take
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 10:58:56 am »
Killing with poison is dishonorable, it doesn't require a lot of skill.
Poison making is easy?
Sure some are, but a good poison that works at times it should, that's not obviously detected, doesn't taste/smell funny, doesn't hurt when it's in the body ect. ect.
Sure every bum can make those :P
I'm pretty sure you ought to be a reasonable-good/good alchemist to brew such a thing. A good assassin doesn't want his target to scream out loud when he eats his sandwich, neither does she/he wants that her/his target doesn't eat the sandwich because it tastes/smells funny. ect.
There is a lot more to it then 'inject' and 'watch target die' then you think  :sorcerer:
Also, I doubt 'good' poisons, a bit like the one described above, are cheap enough to be bought by bums. Ler alone that a bum has conections to one who can make such  a poison.
  :flowers: :lol:

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 11:27:41 am »
Why is it that to my knowledge no main character(especially the good ones)  in any T.V. show or video game I've play/watched uses poison as a main ability?
I'm guessing because you haven't been playing Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines :x
AKA Skald

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 11:29:54 am »
Poison making is easy?

Do note that I said "Killing with poison". I never mentioned making poison. They are two separate actions, which are not necessarily done by the same person.

Also note that I said my example was exaggerated in advance but thank you for pointing it out again. :P
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Socius Rockus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Wibble myself: 17years I was gone, give or take
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 11:54:15 am »
Well to kill with poison you have to have it, since it's not only hard to make (Good poisons I mean) but also because it's illegal, I think you have to require certain skills to only get then poison. And perhaps some sneaking is required for using the poison.
And who care about dishonorable, when no one knows you've done it? :P

Poison is one of the ultimate weapons, if used and prepared properly. Poison helped my out with Oblivion, Two worlds,  with Red-Alert II, C&CI, II and III, Renegade, Warhammer MoC,  GW and Diablo II a bit :P It didn't help me with Commandos, I just sucked at it  ::)
 Movies... There are sooo many movies with poison in it. Batman for one  :lol: :flowers:

Prolix

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 01:03:44 am »
Using poison is as easy as well s**t on a stick. If you will pardon the example.

"That's a nasty infection you got there, what happened"
"I dunno, some loser poked me with a stick. Go figure"

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 02:37:10 am »
Because many poisons don't kill you, but just horribly mutilate you? Because they can cause horrible pain?
Poisons are sneaky, as you can kill someone when they're perfectly at ease and unsuspecting.

Also notice that only few poisons kill you quickly.
First I don't see how a poison would mutilate you. A poison won't rip off an arm. Besides killing someone when they're at ease would probably be easier their guard is down.

I've got two words for ya: Agent. Orange.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Wolfhawk13

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 11:32:37 am »
Using poison is as easy as well s**t on a stick. If you will pardon the example.

"That's a nasty infection you got there, what happened"
"I dunno, some loser poked me with a stick. Go figure"

I think a bigger issue is who is using the poison and the type of poison that is being used.
Any bum can let a dagger go rusty and give you tetnus but it takes a really proficient alchemist or
herbalist to be able to mix poisons so that they become colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It would
also take a great deal of skill (or luck) to be able to handle/deliver the poison to the target without
harming themselves in the process. So it is ultimately up to who the posioner is.
AS for the good/bad issue, poison is poison, I just hope I have the remedy... :D

Junial Mosistu

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 12:49:51 am »
As many other things poison is seen as evil and maybe even kind of cheating. A secret thing there makes the deadly or every painful outcome without the person knew it would happen. Thats not nice.. A goodie is a goodie and bad guy is a bad guy.. I think its the way we are taught, through living, movies and so on. It all tells us what is good and what is evil..

Therefor.. No poison.. Poison is not a goodie thing.

Shadow1490

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 03:31:40 pm »
Poison is a weapon and a highly effective one at that. At least in my opinion. My guess at this point is that poison lacks the thrill that big flashy explosions, sword fights and final cinematics in Protoss campaigns give us. Basically poison lacks thrill value. Then again so do most tactically intelligent methods of killing.

Note: Starting conversations like this is the reason so few people I know hang when I start a conversation.
Optimists are just cynics waiting to happen.