Author Topic: Random Monster Raids on Cities  (Read 2343 times)

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Random Monster Raids on Cities
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 02:04:33 am »
I remember a good while ago that people would bring Ulbers to the old magic shop gold mine, I thought that added realism and fun, but it got stamped on pretty quick and made against the rules to lead monsters about ;o(

It's against the rules?

'Cause some guy led a Consumer into Levrus's glade just a couple of days ago...dunno if it was accidental or not...

Also, sometimes you can't help it. For example, today I was fighting that Clacker near the Library, and we were pretty evenly matched. As soon as I dropped below 50% of my hit points, though, I ran and jumped onto some crates, accidentally leading the Clacker to where I was. It was pretty funny (and would've been just a bit sad under other circumstances) watching the poor thing try to jump onto them after me. XD

Also, apologies in advance for the tangent, but will monsters be able to jump onto things in the future? I don't particularly want the rooftops to stop being a relatively safe haven (provided you don't fall off, that is)... :-\
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Camazotz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 12:11:48 pm »
Errr.. Doesn't this already happen? Ojadeva was raided by a huge band of rogues a year or so ago. heheh, that was fun.

Note: It wasn't my fault I accidently led that shadow rogue into the place where everyone was seeking refuge; the tavern.
It's a well known fact that black cloaks are warmer than anything else.

Garris Shrike

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The Mad Irishman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 12:13:19 pm »
Errr.. Doesn't this already happen? Ojadeva was raided by a huge band of rogues a year or so ago. heheh, that was fun.

Note: It wasn't my fault I accidently led that shadow rogue into the place where everyone was seeking refuge; the tavern.
that was awsome, I remember just running out with my clan and killing droves of them.
Two of our leaders killed the rogues leader in one on one. Good fun.

yeah, I think this happens already, so get used to it :D
Garris Shrike.
A lady's man. That lady's friend's man. That lady's friend's sister's man.
He will be missed.
M. R., also known as Lurch

190nifes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 03:10:15 pm »
I think this post is a good idea a few monsters in a veriaty of lvls and just attack the city a fun way to save the day and gain experiance at the same time.  ;D

Ichaas

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 04:57:04 am »
I think as the game progresses this is planned. it is in the settings I think that people generally defend against the monsters from the labrynth. I think that the bronze doors would be a good place to feild some more frequent random mobs spawns in the form of a raid. But before that you'd also need the guards to be vulnerable to attack, better AI coding etc.
Theres a decent amount leading up to this I think.
But I think it should happen at some point.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 10:26:13 pm »
Random monster raids? Fun? A few times a month? You say that as if it is guarantied that you will be victorious against against all raids. Epic battles end in epic losses for one side or the other. Don't always assume you will be on the winning side. ;)

rakshak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • How to host websites on any computer
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 11:10:29 pm »
I welcome the idea of random monster raids. However, it is so disheartening to see the guards standing in their place as the monsters enter the city right in front of their eyes and they do nothing. Somebody drew an ulbernaut to Hydlaa plaza today morning, and it was a shame Finara and Remant kept standing there! In fact, they asked me to "keep my weapons sheathed" and "all is well, move along"!!! Now that is stupid.

In summary, I support random monster raids, but the town guards should either take active part in fighting them with us, or they should be sent away to some other place before starting the monster raid. It'll encourage good RP following the raids.

DJ_PHAZE

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 10:36:46 pm »
good idea it happens on wow :P but its just the lower level players could become very aggro if they keep dying to random monster raids but if this idea is to follow through make sure its either 1: at a place that is restricted to higher levels
                                                                             2: at a place that has guards that could help so its optional wether or not u want to join in

thanks  :sorcerer:

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 03:52:59 pm »
I'm curious to know why people have such differing opinions on this. I think it is more realistic to have monsters wandering around the place. The biggest reactions i have seen are:

1. How dare they bring monsters in to ruin our RP. We are so weak and frail because we don't just grind our characters to be the best.

2. Serves those miners right to get eaten by an Ulbernaut. They should have been RPing instead of grinding.

3. That would be AWESOME... please do this more.

I tend to be more of number 3 above. I simply ask that the monsters that attack be level appropriate for the area. If most people start out in Hydlaa Plaza, it would be rude to send Ulbers in that were very agressive. However, in areas that are more wild... it shouldn't necessarily be completely safe to travel between cities.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 07:48:49 pm »
I think there should be monsters of varying strength for realism's sake (a horde of relatively weak rats would be awesome for newbies)...there are still people who both grind and RP, myself being one of them. I'd love to be online and in the right (wrong?) place during one of these raids, especially since my character isn't involved too deeply in any plotlines that take up a lot of her/my time in-game right now.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 02:58:43 am »
I am not getting tired of repeating:
I think laws should only apply in towns and not in the wilderness. In my opinion, the settings are too strict and prevent the players from establishing PvP conflicts.

See, for example:
http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=32387.msg372851#msg372851

*Orgonwukh awaits his slap from Xillix for bringing this up again* :P