Author Topic: Advisor channel  (Read 669 times)

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Advisor channel
« on: November 01, 2008, 02:41:51 pm »
Hello

I wondered lately if an irc channel for advisors would be a senseful thing.
Currently often enough do people who seek for help only say things like "Help" in the help channel. Since the advisor will claim the whole session and can not return the actual question back to all, he might run into problems answering a question another advisor might have no problems to answer. A second case is when an advisor  even sees the initial suggestion but has an alternative one.

Of course would such an irc channel only work if the advisors really joined it. I guess a part of the question is then how many advisors are online, how many would possibly be in such a channel and if others see any use in this suggestion at all.

Sen

.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Toox

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Advisor channel
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 03:02:10 pm »
Advisors can see who is advising, and I'm pretty sure there is a /whoadvisor function for advisors. If you are an advisor, and you see someone doing a bad job, or unable to answer something, you can /tell them how to better serve.

Setting aup an IRC would be a lot of work, and I doubt many advisors would join it, and if they did they wouldn't be very active on it.

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:13:41 pm »
@ Toox: There's an /advisor_list function but it only shows the number of advisors online, no names (except to GMs). If you are an advisor, you can see the name of the one who claims a session or advises right now.

I like Sen's suggestion. I for one can't be online at the moment but I'd join an IRC advisor channel and try to help. Moreover, on IRC several people can cooperate to give better advice. When I'm advising IG, I often ask other people (who I know are advisors as well or just friends) if there's a problem or for ideas  :sorcerer:

Edit: And you can't easily paste a link IG to a place to get further info ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:19:38 pm by Morla Phlint »

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

Vonor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Languages: English / German
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 03:23:21 pm »
I was just thinking about the same today.

But actually GMs are automatically in the advisor channel. We will claim advise sessions where we see the need of GM help. Otherwise we also will get in contact with an advisor to support them in their current advise session.
Everyone who is an advisor can see who claims which session (and also see the name when the advisor enters the messages) and we highly encourage the player advisors. So in my personal opinion it's a good idea to have a channel where advisors can help each other advising others. I'm just not sure if IRC is the right place for it. Perhaps an IG channel for the advisors would be better. You could put such a request on the bugtracker as Feature Request :)
Quote from: Mordraugion
Quote from: zanzibar
::|  What just happened?

you got Caarried