Author Topic: Roleplaying (Communitive Storywriting) forum  (Read 474 times)

Prolix

Roleplaying (Communitive Storywriting) forum
« on: December 18, 2008, 05:11:12 pm »
Now that there are books in the game I would like to suggest that this forum be closed down in favor of creating an in game market for these materials. It seems to me that it would help diversify the economy.
Thoughts anyone?

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
Re: Roleplaying (Communitive Storywriting) forum
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 02:47:34 am »
You don't visit that forum much, do you?

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:12:00 am »
not too much, no and some of it is likely unsuited to in-game books. I do not really have anything against it, my thinking is that the people writing those stories are liable to be the same ones who mostly role play in the game and it could become a source of income for them. If you get ten or twenty regular readers paying a few circles for each volume of a serial it could add up. The volumes could be printed to order. Now I realize it is not ideal because inventory space is limited and a few other reasons but it is just a thought that might be worth a bit of discussion.

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 09:24:20 pm »
It would be a good idea but many of the stories people write there are more so stories of a character's history, their personal story, many of them just to be shared oocly. There's nothing stopping them from putting their auto-biographies up for sale but I'm not sure how many would.

The main idea though about having a market for books would be good. It would just be hard to start as it would most likely have to be created by players who don't take much value in books. To have a successful book economy I think two things would be needed:

1. Players writing books about things other than themselves (actual books of knowledge)
2. Knowledge having a greater worth in Planeshift.

As of now most things that are in books come in handy for a few quests and for helping roleplay by providing details. If knowledge ever becomes worth more than that then we value it now then a real market for books could begin  :P
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Prolix

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 09:37:43 pm »
There was a guy who was going to produce a spell compendium for me but it never really materialized. I would have paid a couple thousand trias just for the first two levels of spell combinations. Likewise I wanted a cookbook. This person was trying to make a living selling books but I guess it did not seem worthwhile. Of course I wasn't in the game a whole lot at the time, a little more now.

I suppose part of the problem is the high cost of blank books. User created content has to be priced quite high to get a reasonable profit margin. If the blank books were two or three tria apiece ten or twenty for completed manuscripts would be viable and easier for people to spend on disposable items. At 50 tria per blank book they are not really disposable.