Author Topic: Forum Login Hassles  (Read 725 times)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Forum Login Hassles
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:41:24 pm »
First a hello to one and all.

There is a possibility that many potential forum users are being missed. This conclusion was reached prior to finally gaining access to the forum after a few days of trying.

The first problem started when trying to register using a chebucto.ns.ca address. When this was attempted an error message reported that there had been an error; although it did not specify what the error was exactly.

Trying again with an alias for the same account the same error appeared.

My thought at that point was that a ban may have been created for chebucto.ns.ca due to a problem user.

My next thought was to access the chat to see if any help could be found there. A non-tech GM suggested that there were some problems with some accounts and that he could assure me that if a gmail account was used that all would be fine.

Next a gmail account was created and, again, registration was attempted. This time the error which was returned was more specific. It said that multiple accounts could not be created from the same ip address.

This lead me to packing up my computer and visiting my brother's house. Here registration was successful using the newly created gmail account.

If it looks like only gmail and yahoo email accounts work properly, then perhaps this could be suggested somewhere in the registration process. My guess is that not everyone would be able to pack up their laptop and try another physical site and consequently many users may be lost in the process.

It should be added that an attempt was also made trying to clear out all phaseshift.it cookies.

Anyway, nice to be here... yet it seems only possible to those  determined enough to do so. :)

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Login Hassles
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:16:05 pm »
Wow, that' a drag! Thanks for sticking with it. I'm not a techie, but glad you persevered. See you in game.
Roled Rolak
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:21:55 pm »
The exact same thing happened when I was on another computer. Seconding the situation here...

-sig by sarras

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 06:42:09 pm »
That seems quite odd. I just registered for yet another account from my static ip without any apparent problems. I haven't yet received the activation email but I expect I will. For what it is worth I used a disposable email address in the ncf.ca domain provided by my Ottawa Freenet account. Once it comes in I'll post from it as 'biltless.'

Some hours later my activation email has still not arrived, I wonder if one of my browser plugins  such as the redirect remover might have got in the way. Perhaps freenet is just being finicky.

Just tried to login with the new account despite not having received the activation email. The forum software came up with a page telling me that I still needed to reply to the email and allowed me to have a new one sent. I chose to have a new one sent and came to a page with a message box whose title said "an error has occurred" with the message text "...activation  email has been successfully sent"

There is definitely something funny going on.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:21:35 am by bilbous »