Poll

What sounds most appealing?

Updated graphics, sound, and environment>
2 (14.3%)
Updated skill training, with personal trainers available always?
4 (28.6%)
Updated animation, combat, and magic system?
2 (14.3%)
More Enemy types and much more content added?
1 (7.1%)
New skills and major skills?
0 (0%)
Updated pvp system with pvp weapons and armor?
0 (0%)
updated map with new surroundings and personal world maps?
2 (14.3%)
All of the above
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: May 28, 2013, 09:04:11 pm

Author Topic: What would you like accomplished in future gameplay?  (Read 499 times)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: What would you like accomplished in future gameplay?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 05:57:55 am »
It's the combination of sufficient hardware. A GeForce 6800 still works, but I would not recommend less than 8800/9600 today. And not less than 2 GB RAM, better 4. Any dual-core will do, probably, there is not much parallelization gain.

any single core about 2GHz will do, 1GB ram (and a lightweight OS) is enough to run a single client, but for the graphic card I recommend something like a GeForce 8800/9600 or more me too, the graphic card's onboard RAM is an important factor too: 1Gb dedicated ram can be fine, but I wouldn't recommend any less for a decent gaming experience. Oh... and don't forget a good driver too! a bad driver can affect performances at least as much as its hardware counterpart can do.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 06:56:57 am »
This is my observation- the "purist" RPer's run the new people off before they can even get started. The RP police really annoy me when there is no one engaging in any talk and I try to help a new player (when I see that they are only answering me in MAIN) and they want to drop the hammer on it. I do move to another area when others are engaged in RP. If you think you can do it better, then do it.

I've had many new players say that I am the only one that has talked to them. I love to make small talk so it comes easy for me. Keep it short because, as I have found out, new players will leave before you can type a long greeting to them.

RoberetGoldsmith

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 03:09:16 pm »
Which is why I suggested 'more outreach'- it seems to me a game of this caliber, with so many play options (quests, rp, skills, rp, events, rp) and is FREE should be teeming with players.  I don't want to rehash the way there are not... discussion.   What can we do going forward? Is it listed on people's FBs and other social media? Do we invite our friends to play? Is it in online listservs? (these are real questions, not rhetorical ones).
RR

Just a little thought on this, in terms of getting the message out. I've looked at a couple of RP/MMORPG sites and forums, where they have news and discussion about MMORPG's and Planeshift is there, but a lot of them don't have any new updates from since like 2008. For example theres a couple of websites that have an interview with talad from like a few years ago.

To the devs credit a lot has change since a few years ago with the game! Let it be known!

A small sample size of websites so my point could be waaaaaay off the mark, but its a thought.

As for what I'd develop next? The graphics, seeing from the websites a lot of criticism is towards the old graphics.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 03:35:43 pm »
This is my observation- the "purist" RPer's run the new people off before they can even get started. The RP police really annoy me when there is no one engaging in any talk and I try to help a new player (when I see that they are only answering me in MAIN) and they want to drop the hammer on it. I do move to another area when others are engaged in RP. If you think you can do it better, then do it.

I've had many new players say that I am the only one that has talked to them. I love to make small talk so it comes easy for me. Keep it short because, as I have found out, new players will leave before you can type a long greeting to them.

Are there still RP police around? And RP Nazis?   ::|  ;D

I'm not on during prime-time so I wouldn't know, but the handful of role players that I do know who currently play are far from being unfriendly.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 05:07:51 pm »
As for what I'd develop next? The graphics, seeing from the websites a lot of criticism is towards the old graphics.

Expanding on this, I think the "graphics" in terms of what the engine can do are good.  The problem is I have trouble running the game at a level at which I can appreciate them.  Even on my (at the time) new 2012 middle-of-the-road desktop I was only able to get it to run smoothly with medium graphics and shaders and stuff.  But it looked great (a lot better than what I get on my laptop).  I think the bronze doors look great, Hydlaa looks good, even the death realm looks cool with lighting and shaders turned up.

But the areas between the cities are a vast, desolate, monochromatic wasteland of boredom.  Aside from a few landmarks it all looks the same.  It's super easy to get lost and there's nothing to do out there.  It was a major annoyance for me when I started.  Once I got a mount and enough cash to take the pterosaur every time, it was less of an annoyance only because I was able to bypass it.  But for new players who have to run between the towns without a mount, who get lost because everything looks identical, and who probably have to sit and wait for their stamina bar to recharge every 90 seconds, this is a big turn off.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 10:45:36 pm »
The game itself still isn't fun, and I'm still only here for the players I know. What I'd like to see is for PS to be a good game, one I won't feel like logging off of if my friends aren't online to talk to. MMO's are supposed to be addictive, but frankly the day my buddy list is all red with people that quit is the day I uninstall the game and go find my RP fix elsewhere.

I'm going to give my two trias on each of the options:

Updated graphics, sound, and environment

This. A million times this. Personally I don't mind the graphics, but they are the number one complaint I personally hear from new players when they tell me they hate the game. They say it looks too old. Perhaps it falls in the wrong place in the uncanny valley for a lot of people as well, it's never bothered me but I've seen that complaint before. It'd suck to throw all of the hard work that has been put into the current look out the window, but a whole new look might actually bring people in and keep them here for a while, if the rest of the game is good too.

Updated skill training, with personal trainers available always

It may be immersive but it's also obnoxious to have to run all over the map looking for your trainer. My suggestion for balancing between convenience and immersion is this: You still rank up, you still see the message, and you still have the maximums, but instead of buying your next level, you have the option of ranking up again through grinding for free (save for the cost of weapons and such) or you run to the NPC and buy a lesson off them that ranks you up. Perhaps with some way of avoiding the exploitation of this like you can only have one lesson in each skill every 24 hours because the trainer only has so much time on their hands (as in like one lesson PER skill, not one lesson a day period because that would be awful and I know someone is going to misread this).

Edit: Another WoW comparison, I know, but what I like there is that it "trains" you to know how to use skills at the later levels early on. You start off learning how to do the basics and then later on, if you PvE, you run dungeons in instanced locations with boss fights (something I'd like to see done in PS but I'll have wrinkles IRL and will have likley forgotten PS exists by the time that gets put in) and those "train" you for the raid bosses once you're maxed out and ready to get the best equipment for your level. I know the vision for PS isn't to have endgame content like this, and it works much better with a game like WoW where it's largely about being in an area suited to your level and "graduating" to the next-hardest one, but it'd still be cool to have quests past the tutorial that teach you more about how to play.

Updated animation, combat, and magic system

Animation goes with the first one. It bothers me that mining looks like fishing looks like harvesting, and it's probably even worse for someone who's never played the game before.

As for combat, yesterday I was in the arena. A gladiator glitched out on me. It was more fun to chase him around than it was to actually fight him. I think that speaks for itself.

More Enemy types and much more content added

Eh, I think there are enough enemy types. I'd like to see some of the farm animals and the ones established to be in Yliakum under normal names (bears and foxes and such) around. "More content" is a pretty generic term, though, I think everyone would like that in every game.

New skills and major skills

Eventually, but not yet. Grinding skills isn't fun. Find a way to make it fun, vary the ways to level the skills (again, leatherworking feels like smithing feels like cooking), and THEN add more skills.

Updated pvp system with pvp weapons and armor?

I'm not a PvP person but I'm all for PvP-specific content. I don't have much to say on the issue, other than that it works great in WoW and you can level up with PvP or PvE or a mix of both and it's brilliant. PS's player base was a lot stronger when there was a huge duelling community, and guess what game the ones I knew moved on to.

Updated map with new surroundings and personal world maps?

Personal world maps, yes, updated maps, yes (I've been pleased with recent changes though I still haven't gotten in to the gem-enchanting cave yet), but I'm assuming "new surroundings" means new maps and that I have to say no to. The world is too big for the amount of players we have right now, in fact, I wouldn't object to some areas being closed off until we have more people to reopen them to. It should be small enough that the game community looks alive yet (just) big enough that if you want to go hide while afk or have a secret IC meeting you can.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:56:00 pm by Candy »
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 05:48:24 pm »
The things I want to see most, which aren't on the list, are more things mechanics-wise to do as a group.  Right now players have the option to "the game" part (quests, combat, leveling up, etc.  The generic MMORPG stuff) or the "role play" part, which is mostly done through text.

The GM events were a lot of fun because they often combined the two.  But these take a lot of man power to work.  If mechanics are put in to have group activities as part of the game mechanics, it encourages the players to get together, and as long as they stay in character it generates RP opportunities.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 03:03:17 am »
If mechanics are put in to have group activities as part of the game mechanics...
The better AI already supports (up to enforces?) group hunting. But that's a lot more mechanical than roleplayed...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty