Author Topic: The Roleplaying Server (SkyLab Host) isn't working  (Read 1124 times)

Westrina

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
The Roleplaying Server (SkyLab Host) isn't working
« on: August 29, 2010, 01:35:59 pm »
Hello all

I'm rather new, and I was wondering if anyone could help! I was particularly drawn to PlaneShift for two reasons: it's great for roleplaying, and it works on my Mac OSX 10.5.8. However, after I downloaded the game, I was told that the SkyLab Host server had 'failed'. When I try to log in to the game, it says that the server 'isn't available'. I've tried re-loading the game several times, but it still won't work. The Ezpcusa server works fine, however.

Does anyone has any idea why this is happening, and how to potentially sort it out? I can still play the game at the moment, but, as I said, the real attraction to PlaneShift was the roleplaying element...

Thanks!! I hope to see you in-game!

West x

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: The Roleplaying Server (SkyLab Host) isn't working
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 01:54:18 pm »
See this status page for the availability of the server http://planeshift.zeroping.it/index.php?page=char_stats
Especially the time and report time must be very close to each other and it should be actual time in CET or CEST zone.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 01:55:34 pm »
Actually, the server changed to zeroping. Skylab is down. So you have to run the updater (update function in pslaunch) and it should work then :)
If the update doesn't work, just tell us here again (or on irc)

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Westrina

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:29:54 am »
Hmmm, when I try to open the pslaunch, I get told that 'an update is available but you don't have the correct permission to continue. Please restart the program as an admin'.

Does this mean I have downloaded the wrong version, or something?? I only downloaded it the other day, and I was pretty sure it was the latest version...

Hmmm...

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:36:14 am »
You may have to "Run pslaunch as an administrator" to be able to execute an update, because only administrators are allowed to write files in program directories (some operating systems try to protect installed programs from mistakes done by "generic" users or from misbehaviour of malware).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 04:44:42 pm »
Are you using a Mac? If yes then the problem is probably that you are running the game off the dmg file you downloaded.

Go to the dmg file you downloaded
Open the dmg file and move the Planeshift game folder from the dmg file to your applications file.
launch the pslaunch app from the game folder in your applications file

ehkesoyo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 04:39:57 am »
Are you using a Mac? If yes then the problem is probably that you are running the game off the dmg file you downloaded.

Go to the dmg file you downloaded
Open the dmg file and move the Planeshift game folder from the dmg file to your applications file.
launch the pslaunch app from the game folder in your applications file

I don't think thatĀ“s the problem, at least not mine. Everything he has told is the same for me, but I have already tried moving it into applications and it doesnĀ“t work... IĀ“d like to know how to start an administrator session, if thatĀ“s possible

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 04:58:54 am »
"It doesn't work" is always the worst error description, because it's no description. I can't tell how to open an administrator session on a mac, but what sarva said worked for all macs I saw so far, so you might want to give an as detailed desctiption of what you tried and what happened (btw, "nothing happened" is not a description ;) ) so we might get an idea of what is going wrong.

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 05:54:51 am »
In case of despair, but only if you really trust someone up to remote-controlling your PC, a TeamViewer session might help...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 10:27:45 am »
You can check the permission you have on the Planeshift game folder by doing the following.

Right click on the game folder in your applictions folder and choose get info
Near the bottom of the get info window look at the charing and permissions item.  The permissions should be set to read & write for you and admin and read only for everyone. If these permissions are not set properly use the pull down menu to change them. If you are not the admin on the computer you will need the admin name and password to change the permissions.