Author Topic: Decreasing The Importance of Fighting  (Read 1608 times)

Elkarway

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Decreasing The Importance of Fighting
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 10:47:58 pm »
Make higher quality food keep you fed longer or something.  Regardless, besides things players do (RP hiring cooks, buy books) the whole economy is based around fighting.  Food heals fighters, crafters make weapons for fighters. 

Perlam

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Masters of Move Guildsite
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 03:50:27 am »
So, let me get this straight, are you guys telling me this because you think the system is good as it is and we don't need to diversify the needs in order to diversify skills and market? You agree that everything in-game should be linked only with HP recovery and stat improving in a way that doesn't concern getting characters together or justifying the distinction between food and potions? You agree with this because you've found ways to make money to buy training? Or because you've made up a hunger that doesn't exist and doesn't need to be regarded by other players?

Come on. Don't just type stuff.

Make higher quality food keep you fed longer or something.  Regardless, besides things players do (RP hiring cooks, buy books) the whole economy is based around fighting.  Food heals fighters, crafters make weapons for fighters. 

I think several alternative ways of making trias have been pointed forward

BTW: back in the platinum and golden age, there was lots of RP going on at the mines... [tria making and RP did also go hand in hand at that time]

Heleckie: why is there always an apple involved
Heleckie: why not a mango

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 05:50:03 am »
You guys make me feel exasperated. Let me repeat myself: The question here is not if you can make your career work. Everyone can with imagination. The question here is if these changes would make those careers more attractive and main stream." And I think they would. I also think they would diversify better the objectives, since even the money you make with these alternative ways is usually spent on raising fighting stats.

These alternative ways can not be expected to be carried out by most players currently. You can't expect a good amount of players will wait until they are level 100 in cooking to start making money, since they'll need to have money then. You can't expect a good amount of players to find a OMFG NEW business to make money, you can't expect a good amount of players to wait for the Klyros Junction to make competitions, you can't expect a good amount of players to be satisfied to have their hero stuck in a lower int rank than a miner.

Elady: Forcing has worked before like a charm. You should've seen the game before RPing was enforced.

Besides these examples you are all giving me admit cooking (and any other career mentioned) as alternative and pretty restricted in time and space.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:53:03 am by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 07:25:57 am »
He means that the current exceptions prove the rule that the primary organizing principle for this society is war.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 07:47:26 am »
Thanks Verden, that might work better than trying to lead them to that conclusion. :P
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 06:10:43 pm »
I agree with this. PS's gameplay is already a long, boring grind with terrible quests, no boss fights, and unfinished character models which makes nobody want to play those races. The roleplay is all it has, and the roleplay is good. Fighting needs to be easy to get good at. It's already pretty skill-based, just take out the grinding and PS would be a lot more worth playing. See, the fact that combat is like that makes it hard to roleplay, too. Before the stats were raised, my character description was a lot like:

"At a first glance, Kaibane, judging by his pale complexion, skinny build, and black hair, not normal for a Dermorian, you think he could be a strong wielder of dark magic. By the black blade hanging from his waist and the dagger handle peeking out of his boot, you judge that he could be a sizeable threat in combat, too."

Now, I have to change it, because I am no longer awesome like that and now am 50% weaker than I once was [yay, stats raised, way to suddenly make hours of my time spent playing PS meaningless]. So I can't roleplay worth crap anymore, because when people see a character description like that, but under it:

"You estimate that Kaibane will take no effort to defeat."

They think I'm some PS noob who wants to be all cool and awesome instead of roleplay well, and then they decide to tell me so through various offensive PMs.

And yes, that does happen. I won't point anyone out, but it still makes me mad. I really liked PS a lot more when all that mattered was getting winch access, roleplay, and maxing stats [when it was actually fun to max stats, and not a grind]. Oh yeah, and I liked it when we had a Gugrontid mining spot, too, so I could find some way to make money besides repairing weapons, because *oh yeah* I can't repair anyone's weapons anymore because the stat requirements for that got raised, too.

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 04:50:01 pm »
"You estimate that [...] will take no effort to defeat."

you can't take as good that thing, for me it has no meaning since 0.5, if not early. I don't know if it's fixed, but I think all the older players simply ignore that evaluation.

furthermore I'm against character descriptions that try forcing my thoughts. "you smell", ok, "you see", ok, "you notice", ok. "you think"......

boss fights? that's not the Fist of the North Star.

It seems you've lost the fun to adapt your character to new situations.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:54:01 pm by BoevenF »

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 06:52:44 pm »
The thing is, regardless of what the profession is, people will always flee to the most efficient tria-maker. I bet you anything that if the best way to make tria was something against the law, all these 'warriors-for-the-good' people and smithies would switch to that profession. Or, maybe just make an alt.

As for me, I've made my tria off of buying and selling wares. Not an easy job to get into, but once you are in the midst of it, there are chances to make it far.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 08:38:50 am »
That's true Mekora. But it's never 100% of the people that would go to those careers. It's like magic and weapons. Just because one weapon is the best, it doesn't mean that everyone will use it. Most will, but still a good part of them will hold on to other weapons they like better.

What I want to see is a non-fighting-related market that isn't residual, but that sustains a good, competent second choice for players. I want this because I've tried to play a character that only survives on writing books and selling food and I quickly understood that neither of them are rewarded enough for the time they take: not in PPs, not in tria, not in demand.

To me the simplest way of making this come to be is through the measures I've pointed out. But there could be others.
Unfortunately instead of a quality discussion where people would tell me the actual limitations of these measures, their unwanted impacts, better versions or choices or any system-wise complications in implementing it, I have most people telling me what they think and what they have experienced for no apparent purpose. If anyone's point is that they don't want to see these secondary roles attributed any more importance, then I should be told exactly that, instead of being given useless text to read.

Join the Dark Empire!