Author Topic: First and last name should just be one line  (Read 350 times)

tslates92

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
First and last name should just be one line
« on: October 14, 2011, 09:48:14 pm »
So whenever I go to name a character, I always get so frustrated. Most of the time the names I want to use are already taken, for both last and first. I could come up with some random name, but there are specific names that I like and certain first/last name combinations that I think sound cool, also I like to pick names based on what they mean and how the meaning applies to my character.

I didn't see a topic about this (I honestly didn't look to hard though), but I know I can't be the only player annoyed with how the character names work. Even if the first name and the last name I use are already taken, it doesn't mean that combination of names is already taken. And since both first and last have to be unique, it's almost like I have to name my character twice! It's just plain stupid, it would be nice to make it all one thing. Also, in other rpgs I've played the character names don't have to be unique at all just the player's username has to be. I'm guessing those games probably in the character file attach the username to the character name, or something. I don't know know how they do it, but I know they do.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:51:24 pm by tslates92 »

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: First and last name should just be one line
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:34:42 pm »
First names have to be unique since many commands work based on the first name. For example is you want to send someone a private message  or if you invite someone into your guild. Last names can be shared if two characters are married or if they are brothers or brother and sister ( If the characters are being role played as being form the same family but the players have to approve and ask for the last names to be made the same)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: First and last name should just be one line
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:27:58 pm »
Siblings or children can be named by Game Masters after creating a character with a random different family name. But that may be interesting only to already experienced players, anyway. It seems to be less probable that a real newcomer wants to start as family member of another player who had no chance to explain that beforehand.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org