Author Topic: Introducing Magic Resistance !!  (Read 1277 times)

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing Magic Resistance !!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 12:39:56 am »
it seems to me you guys are rehashing arguments currently taking place in other, various threads.

Exactly. I've beaten this to death, and I won't extend it into here, but I'll suffice to say: There's no disadvantage to wearing plate.  But, As Aramara rightfully points out, that's a different topic, for a different thread.
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Herihi

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:35 am »
While I agree with you Caraick that it is a different subject I think it only reinforces consensus and will help things get changed the more we talk about it.  However I am not sure about what changes the new combat system will do to the benefits and disadvantages of armor.  From what I have heard it's probably going to completely change the system.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 01:52:24 am »
There's no disadvantage to wearing plate. 

Has this been verified by using blunt weapon with high skill in it?

- Nova

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 01:54:44 am »
Well, there should be some disadvantage. For example for those who would attempt to swim in it ;)

Herihi

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 02:33:48 am »
well the disadvantage of blunt weapons should be more pronounced but I assume it's there since if you look at the basic stats of the armor plate mail defends less against piercing and blunt weapons.  But there should be more disadvantages then that.  Last time I checked you weren't very maneuverable in heavy armor

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 04:24:05 am »
Plate Mail has a weight.

With a lot of weight carrying around, one gets exhausted slightly faster, physical stamina drops at least a little bit when running (with physical stats at 200; I don't bother getting more, simply walking is already recreating). So there is at least an academic disadvantage. Just not a practical one, quite unimportant.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 02:07:12 pm »
As you said, LigH, the academic disadvantage to wearing plate currently is pretty much nonexistent. With maxed physical stats, and about 300kg in my inventory, I can run pretty much indefinitely. 

Once again.  There is no real disadvantage to wearing plate. None at all
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

shorty13

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Skiing > All
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 12:27:56 pm »
I have logged in recently for the first time in a while and may continue to do so to see how it has progressed.
  I have to say, I'm surprised that you have implemented magic resistance when, as far as I've noticed, magic still needs a lot of work before it becomes widely used.  Many spells don't work, it takes forever, lots of PP, and tons of money to train in for little results, many level 1-3 spells are more effective than level 4 ones and offensive spells just seem way underpowered when compared to weapons.  I think you should work on the current magic system a bit before you implement new things. 
Does any one else agree or am I completely off base here?
There are two types of people in this world: The Pinky and the Brain.
Which one are you?

bilbous

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 01:05:25 pm »
You are a bit off base. There are many spells now that were available to kill even the toughest critters. Magic resistance has evened up the killing rate between magic and weapons.

For example with high 2 digit sword skill and a mid range crafted sword I could not touch a vilenaut. With a basic spell I could kill it in a minute or so. Now it resists my spell, depending on which ways it resists, and it is much harder to kill it with magic. I still can't do much to it with the sword....

There are many spells now and a whole training system that gives you access to the glyphs through quests. It was truly a golden age for mages.

Herihi

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 12:34:04 am »
Yeah I was going to say, if there was a current disadvantage it would be towards combat not magic.  While realm 3 spells can, and many realm 4 can be rather puny realm 5 are not.  With spells like fist of the volcano and animate shadows you can take down the toughest creatures, excluding the special npcs, in no more then 4 hits.  Doesn't seem to puny to me. Now what would be nice is if they can implement the spells that effect the mind or physical attributes of targets more.  A spell that "holds" an enemy so they can't move, or actually blinds them so they can't see you, or one that even slows the creatures down would be invaluable to a mage.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 01:02:17 am »
I believe the magic is in the process of big redesign, but details aren't published yet.

Herihi

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 02:55:05 am »
I think combat is going through big changes as well.  So these discussions might be moot.  But then again they might help devs see issues that need to be dealt with when they make the changes.  I am interested to see all the changes that will be coming soon.  Though I have heard rumors that when those changes take place the system will be wiped.