Author Topic: Armor weight effects  (Read 197 times)

Mokek

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Armor weight effects
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:41:21 pm »
Hello,

I wanted to talk about the effects of the armor's weight in movement speed. I know that it has been planned to implement them, but nobody seems to be talking about it, and I am afraid that this improvement has been "forgotten" in some way, even if it should be relatively easy to implement them.

I'm playing a thief, and as a consequence I wear a leather armor to be more silent and faster. I have made this choice of a weaker armor to fit with my character, even if this function is not yet integrated in the game mechanics. But my choice to play this way is a really disadvantage when fighting mobs or players with heavier armors like plate, even if I have the same stats as them. I really wish this mechanics to be implemented soon!

How would you imagine the relations between armor weight and other factors, and which other factors should be influenced by them? I would say walk speed and combat speed. The more armor weight, the lower this variables. Stats like endurance and strength should increase this variables. Then again, if armor weight affects walk speed, not only the armor weight should be taken in consideration, but also item weight.

Shazzamm~~~

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Armor weight effects
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:47:34 pm »
people aren't talking about this because it's a dead horse topic.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:03:05 pm »
At the moment, movement speed appears not to be affected. But endurance is, quite obviously, affected by your overall weight, it drains your physical stamina faster.

I doubt anyone can tell you if more effects will be implemented for realism's sake. Certainly not really "soon™", there are more urgent issues to be solved.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:53:24 am »
I agree this is also something that's really bothered me.  I too chose to use light armor for IC reasons and didn't realize how much of a disadvantage this would be in terms of game mechanics.

In my humble opinion, the way it should work is that you have a choice of what armor type fits your character's fighting style.  LA should offer less protection but more mobility (for those who want to be quick, agile, or sneaky), HA should offer higher protection but higher penalties to mobility, and MA should be somewhere in the middle.

Right now there's no tradeoff.  One is just clearly better than the others.  There's no reason to use light armor when the other options are better and have no drawbacks.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:27:54 am »
Well, there is already at least one limit: Klyros are so light-weight (porous bones), they are unable to wear Heavy Armor. The counter-advantage (gliding) is not yet implemented, though...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 11:58:51 am »
I don't think this rules aspect was "forgotten", these things are just difficult to tune. Right now, it seems all high quality armor makes you invulnerable (so plate is actually the worst class atm). It was mentioned that rules for fixing that issue are ready (on test servers), and new rules for usage of (physical and mental) stamina are being worked on. I have the impression that armor classes will play a pivotal role for that, and that this can change combat much. Also, some day the GSoC project for combat enhancements will hopefully have its impact in game.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:00:55 pm by Bonifarzia »

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 02:29:29 pm »
GSoC?
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »
Google Summer of Code

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:44:09 pm »
To be a tad more specific:
http://194.116.72.94/pswiki/index.php?title=Combat_enhancements
Whew, 1.5 years passed already?

And to add a source for my other comment:
[...] Thanks to Eonwinds effort to fix task 5713, as well as the major impact of task 5784 on weapon performance, I hope the situation is very different now.[...]
[...]
On the other hand I want to rebalance the stamina use in combat and spellcasting. At the moment physical and magical stamina are useless and a fighter can goes on fighting endlessly without caring about stamina. Same can be said for spellcasters except mana drain gives a limit on its own.