Author Topic: Problems opening the game after what seems to be a successful installation  (Read 1032 times)

Zedrendor

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
I've listed the specs of my PC at the bottom

I downloaded the 64 bit windows version of the game today from the planeshift.it USA mirror and installed the game and I had no errors whatsoever so I thought "Game on!  \\o// I'm ready to game" I restarted my laptop just as a routine after installing stuff and all seemed well. I double clicked to open the game from the desktop and it opened the planetshift launcher. The launcher window was just black with nothing to click or open just a solid black rectangle. The cursor however changed to a branch like icon which I'm guessing is the P|S cursor right?

I closed the launcher and tried reopening it and the same thing happened again.
I then uninstalled the whole game and subfolders from my laptop and decided to try the 32bit version from the US mirror to see if it would work. The installation went well and everything looked good like before but I was still met with the black P|S launcher screen.

I had a little rummage around on the PlaneShift website and saw the link to see which people were online and if the server was up or down. The live webcam feed said the server was down but the server status showed some 5 people were logged n and the server was up. I also tried to register an account on the website and was met with the message that it couldn't connect to the database.

So now I'm here on the forums looking for any help available because I want to be a part of this cool MMORPG adventure and game development

SPECS:
64 bit Windows 7 Aspire5750
Intel i5-2410M 2.3Ghz
6Gb+ of RAM
DirectX 11
Above average graphics card

My build can run all the MMORPGs that I've tried smoothly and I've played over 200 MMORPGs in the past
 of which 100 or more have been on this laptop so I don't think it's my laptop that's too blame unless I've accidentally misconfigured something that clashes with this game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and please don't bit my head off if I've done something wrong or forgotten something. I'm a nice guy so let's just talk like friends :D

Zedrendor

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
METHODS TRIED:
1)I have run both version from administrator mode on windows 7 and the same problem as above persisted.
2)I have tried running psclient.exe directly from the C drive files in My Computer... by doing it this way I managed to get to what I think is the initial log in screen. It was an orangey brown screen with 2 text inputs and a different shaded rectangle which I think is the "log in" button. I tried typing in random letters into the two inputs for username and password but I couldn't see any letters appearing although the typing cursor moves. There is also some music playing in the background but apart from that it still doesn't seem good :(

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
That sounds like a major graphics card/driver problem. PlaneShift uses OpenGL, not DirectX. Is your graphics driver up-to-date?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Above average graphics card

Here you omitted the most important detail. When intel decides to fix all OpenGL implementation flaws in their driver, even the Core i# internal HD chipsets would be suitable to run PS. Additional graphic solutions by Nvidia even more, though.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Zedrendor

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Sorry for not being able to specifically describe my graphics card I didn't have time to find out it's an Intel Inbuilt Graphics Card from the HD family with 1780Mb of memory and yeah I've updated all the drivers for it so you guys think that it could be a problem with the OpenGL part? Seems odd that I can't even open the launcher though because all that is appearing through the launcher is the cursor. Is the launcher working solely using OpenGL?

(SUPER THANKS FOR THE HELP BY THE WAY I REALLY WANT TO GET INTO THIS GAME AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE)

Zedrendor

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE

I (riskily) decided to uninstall all my drivers for my graphics card and I decided to try previous driver releases for my graphics card.

THE RESULT: I can now get to the launcher screen and see everything perfectly and can proceed to the log in screen

THE THING HOLDING ME BACK FROM JOINING YOU GUYS IN GAME: I can't create a new account due to the registration giving me the error message "Oops! There was a problem connecting to the database.
Hopefully this will be resolved soon(tm)." Any help getting me into the game from this point would be greatly appreciated.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Try this address to register http://planeshift.teamix.org/register This is the new address after our server change of yesterday