Author Topic: Suggestions on weapon enchanting  (Read 433 times)

Tharkas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Suggestions on weapon enchanting
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:13:10 pm »
Greetings!

After bringing up the topic on the last dev meeting, I'd like to add a few of my thoughts into it and hope it helps spice up the feature.

When enchanting a weapon, one could guess we could take the predictable approach of "enchanting with a way/multiple ways adds that way/s' damage kind to the weapon", as in enchanting with crystal adds light damage, enchanting with red adds fire damage, and so on.

It did come to me though that, maybe instead OR additionally to that, different ways could have different effects added to weapons, such as:
Crystal way -> Chance to cause blindness, making the creature you hit less likely to hit you
Dark way -> Chance for the hits you deal to leech health from the victim to you
Red way -> Chance for your hits to engulf the target in flames, causing damage over time
Blue way -> Chance for your hits to freeze the target, locking it in place
Brown way -> Chance for your hits to stun the target, or deplete physical stamina from it instead
Azure way -> Chance for your hits to increase your own attack speed, or deplete mental stamina from your target instead

Following this path, a lot more effects/damage types could be added to weapon enchanting. Your thoughts on the matter?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:26:43 pm by Tharkas »

bilbous

Re: Suggestions on weapon enchanting
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:16:41 pm »
Seems to me that there are a whole lot of enchanted weapons already and you might be better off working out recipes for them rather than adding a bunch of new ones. Then again, they have added new types to the armor, so maybe the loot buffs are intended to be deprecated. Was it impossible to incorporate the original buff system into crafting?

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 06:43:40 pm »
I like Bilbous's idea of using existing but depends what effect people want from enchanted weapons. Whether they want bonuses to skills/stats or extra damage or a spell effect or a mix.
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 07:35:01 pm »
Seems to me that there are a whole lot of enchanted weapons already and you might be better off working out recipes for them rather than adding a bunch of new ones. Then again, they have added new types to the armor, so maybe the loot buffs are intended to be deprecated. Was it impossible to incorporate the original buff system into crafting?

Loot modifiers are not going to be deprecated, they will still remain and many of them are very effective albeit they would be overpowering if associated with crafted 300q weapons.
So whenever enchanted weapons will be implemented they will have their own modifiers (or a subset of the above), this has the advantage of not making looted weapons become suddenly useless while letting crafters enjoy the chance to craft high quality magical weapons.

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:18:48 pm »
So how does that work settings wise? Where do these loot weapons come from if nobody has the knowledge to make them?
* bilbous whispers
"are they from him?"

A curious set of gods, it appears.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 04:43:58 am »
Loot modifiers [...] would be overpowering if associated with crafted 300q weapons. So [...] they will have their own modifiers (or a subset of the above)
Makes sense. Allowing for instance only suffixes could work pretty well. On the other hand, the usefulness of affixes differs quite a bit (e.g. if you compare secondary effects of way skill suffixes).

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 06:52:09 am »
So how does that work settings wise? Where do these loot weapons come from if nobody has the knowledge to make them?

setting wise those weapons could have been crafted long ago in the past, maybe some of them have been crafted before some of the races cam in Yliakum the first time, they brought their heirloom with them but perhaps the knowledge to craft them has been lost with their crafters. Some of them could have been crafted in Yliakum but the way to make them is still unknown in the dome.
I hope this can help imagination :)
for sure people can try to give their own explanation for their looted weapon :)

Lumi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 01:53:30 pm »
setting wise (...) for sure people can try to give their own explanation for their looted weapon :)

Indeed ! Like the Hammers did for the "of the Hammer" weapons, or The Warriors "of the warrior" items, etc...  :P

Which i like in Tharkas idea tho is that for once, the effect of the enchantment would be something else than a stat boost.
I like the idea of a direct effect, a RW enchanted weapon doing actual fire way damage and so on...
<*> The Way of the Hammer <*>

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:57:01 am »
I like the idea of a direct effect, a RW enchanted weapon doing actual fire way damage and so on...

me too... so whenever they will be worked on it's something I really want to do.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 11:19:27 am »
setting wise (...) for sure people can try to give their own explanation for their looted weapon :)

Indeed ! Like the Hammers did for the "of the Hammer" weapons, or The Warriors "of the warrior" items, etc...  :P

Which i like in Tharkas idea tho is that for once, the effect of the enchantment would be something else than a stat boost.

Yet no "of the kitties" drops for us Felines in the Lair...

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 02:49:12 pm »
Scruffy Ruby Encrusted Longsword of the Feline? :p

Perhaps one with a big reflective ruby that makes bright red spots appear on the floor?  :P

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 06:18:00 pm »
Scruffy Ruby Encrusted Longsword of the Feline? :p

Scruffy Ruby Encrusted Longsword of the Kitten?  :P

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile