Author Topic: Enchanted armour  (Read 482 times)

Mlittle

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Enchanted armour
« on: January 06, 2015, 02:25:12 pm »
I've noticed that enchanted armour reduces the effect of all spells, both beneficial and harmful. From the way against which it protects of course. I've tested it with 'life infusion' and 'strength' spells cast on myself. in case of 'strength' spell, the armour only matters when the spell is cast.

Is this working as intended, or can we expect a change in the future?

iridia

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
  • a.k.a. Reniye, Paajah, Morrquea
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Enchanted armour
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 04:36:43 pm »
The enchantments shield you against spells being cast on you. Never heard that the enchantments should protect against physical damage.
Problems IG? IRC #planeshift-gmtalk
Event idea? IRC  #ps-event

bilbous

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:01:07 pm »
I think you have misread that iridia, he is saying the an enchantment that protects against crystal way, say, reduces the amount of healing crystal way spells can do for him even those he casts himself. Is this the intended behaviour or are beneficial spells supposed to be exempt from the enchantments effect. I have not noticed this myself but I am a poor enchanter and have not looked to see particular effects.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 02:48:48 am »
It has been confirmed already long ago that enchanted armor does not only protect from attacks by others, but also reduces self-casted buffs of "protected" ways. There was no statement yet that this would be an undesired side effect, AFAIR...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

iridia

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 03:54:45 am »
@Bilbous; Yeah... Misread... Once again... *facepaws* :oops:

*goes to the big barrel of coffee for a resupply of caffeine*

Zunna

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 04:51:11 am »
I don't know if they plan a change but this seems logical to me.

Imagine that you are wearing a complete "Obscur" Chain mail, in other words, a chain mail encrusted of Dark Way enchanted diamonds. I found that logical and well made that this inder my capacity to cast Crystal Way. It's exactly as if i was strongly surrounded of a Dark Way aura, it is normal that it affect my ability to cast spells of the opossite way.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 05:48:27 am »
I've noticed that enchanted armour reduces the effect of all spells, both beneficial and harmful. From the way against which it protects of course. I've tested it with 'life infusion' and 'strength' spells cast on myself. in case of 'strength' spell, the armour only matters when the spell is cast.

Is this working as intended, or can we expect a change in the future?

I can confirm this behaviour is intended and not a bug. The magic resistance against a way makes the character more resistant against any magical effect from that way, including damage, buffs, debuffs and even healing effects.

It could be in the future a few slight enhancement to armour protective stats could be introduced, but they are currently under testing.

Mlittle

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:33:56 am »
It seems to me, either way can be explained logically. After all, we are talking about magic. It's good to have a definite answer. This way, it helps armour crafters and enchanters, as more than one set might be desirable. The other way, once you get an enchanted q300 set, never have to think about it again.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 10:02:06 am »
As far as I remember, magic resistances can also alter the chance to resist certain spell effects. This is useful especially against annoying stuns that prevent you from attacking, moving and/or casting. So, several sets to mix and match resistances are not uninteresting. Now, I wonder if future enchantments might also work against non-magical stun effects - I guess they won't.

iridia

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 03:13:39 pm »
Yeah, Eonwind literally showed me the math about that.
Think it works great as it is now, but it could be not everyone is familiar with the different enchantments and their effects and which one would be most suitable for their character.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 04:45:52 pm »
The way of the hammer offers a very comprehensive guide as part of their armor catalogue for the iron hammer shop (http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=24480.msg468978#msg468978)