Author Topic: The Book Thread  (Read 2259 times)

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Book Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 01:23:57 pm »

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 04:41:47 pm »
Lovely, Sarras :P

Most of my books are already listed here, Koios nailed a good few of them ;)

My all time favorite would be the Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker.. Following along with that, I'd add Thr3e, Sinner, and Saint, by the same author... Several of those books have had large impacts on the way I've written my characters, and one or two of my characters personalities are based heavily on characters from these books, my main, Caraick, included :)
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 05:26:16 pm »
Siddartha's a beautiful book. It's a not a story, its the chaos of thought subtly put into intelligible reading format. It's on a league of its own... For anyone who likes thinking about life, that is.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 01:42:07 am »
There is seriously no possible way I can list even a fraction of the novels I love, so this will have to be a very disjointed and by no means all inclusive list.  I read 2-3 novels per week on average, and if I like a book, I will read it hundreds of times.

Currently within arms reach I have 2 of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter novels, 3 by Micheal Crichton, and 1 by E. A. Wallis Budge.  Both the HP novels have probably been read about 50 times.  I think JKR did a phenomenal job of creating her characters and the world they act in.  Crichton was a genius with the research and scientific believability he put into his works.  And Budge wrote such a fascinatingly boring tome on the ancient Egyptians, specifically with regard to burial rituals, that I am currently choosing to fill a gap in my knowledge base. 

Other books/novels/etc I like:

The Metamorphosis, Kafka
The Divine Comedy, Dante
Anything written by Alexander Dumas, but The Count of Monte Cristo is such a wonderful insight into the human mentality of revenge and forgiveness.
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen, but I do love all of her other novels as well.
The Discourse on the Method, Descartes
I suppose I would by lying if I didn't say I read trashy romance novels too.  :-[
I collect StarWars novels
Basically... if it is written... and does not run away... I will read it. 
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 12:54:52 am »
Uh, most of what I read doesn't count as "literature" per se. I end up reading a lot of entirely forgettable fantasy novels halfway through and then shelving them. Anyway, I'll just list what comes to mind:

Neil Gaiman's work. I'm on The Graveyard Book at the moment.
The Hunger Games trilogy - absolutely brilliant; I can't wait for the movie.
The Inheritance Trilogy (Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr) is my guilty pleasure. It's not particularly well-written, and very stereotypical, but I love it anyways.
Redwall and Mossflower; you've read one you've read 'em all really, but I'd like to read The Long Patrol.
Narnia, got me into reading.
I actually didn't enjoy the LotR books. Too wordy, liked the movies better, which is crazy coming from me.
Harry. Freaking. Potter. I worship the air J.K.Rowling breathes.
His Dark Materials
City of Ember. The rest of the series isn't so good imho.
Looking For Alaska and Will Grayson, Will Grayson, both by John Green (well, half of Will Grayson, Will Grayson is by John Green anyway)
The Fables comics, Sandman, Blankets, and the Flight anthologies, if comic books count. <333
Non-ficiton stuff related to the film/animation industry (the list is not very big yet as I haven't been purchasing the books for long) - How Not to Make a Short Film, The Simpsons: An Uncensored, Unauthorized History, a couple of those overpriced books of concept art from movies. I'm also on a mission to find the Preston Blair books and The Illusion of Life in a brick-and-mortar store, but I may just have to give up and order online, though I'm loathe to wait for shipping.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:57:11 am by Candy »
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Drey

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 04:31:48 pm »
"Redwall and Mossflower; you've read one you've read 'em all really, but I'd like to read The Long Patrol."

disagree! read them all, in those books lies the etymology of my use of this nick ;)
<Rux> i wish i could say that narrows it down, but the internet is one freaky place

Pierrette

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 10:31:34 am »
Awww....Drey means home.  Love it.   :).