Author Topic: In game use of voice- bards  (Read 917 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
In game use of voice- bards
« on: January 06, 2002, 05:03:35 pm »
THIS MESSAGE IS TAKEN FROM OLD BOARD:

Thekkur
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 23-10-2001 11:43 GMT        

I know, in game use of a voice-system requires a lot of bandwith, but it might be restricted to certain characters. This characters
                         could be BARDS. I think it would be sweet if bards could give shows at inns and at market places. They could make more
                         rediculous moves when getting a higher level, and combine the moves in their own way. They could tell stories (which they can
                         read in the library) and jokes. You might have the idea that nobody will stay in an inn and listen to a bard, but when he is good
                         enough, he can get audience (also by posting the hours of his show at public plaza). After the show a bard could ask for money
                         from his public. Bards could only communicate by voice with other bards, because nobody else is capable of talking in game
                         (other players can only hear them and say things back by typing). Because of their high charisma, and their ability to shout
                         quick commands to their partymembers, bards can be excellent leaders.
                         Bards have bad fighting skills, and do not (or hardly) get better at it when getting a higher level.

Thekkur
    Thekkur
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 24-10-2001 11:39 GMT            

bump
    Hory
                            posted 24-10-2001 16:49 GMT            

i don\'t agree to the voice thing... they could simply type jokes and who likes them would give money to them, and depending on
                         the level, they would have more commands available
    Buechler
                            posted 25-10-2001 04:08 GMT            

I agree with Hory that would take up an unnessecary amount of time and bandwidth. Remember that this is a free game and that
                         the developers don\'t have unlimited bandwidth.
    Thekkur
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 25-10-2001 00:33 GMT            

That\'s true, but it would only be bards who would have the option to communicate by voice. Because of the fact that they cannot
                         fight very well I think there will not be many people who will play one, so they are not that bandwith consuming. It wouldn\'t be a
                         matter of just typing jokes, (not very likely that you get money from players then)
                         you would be able to prepare a show, with music, tricks (the special abilities a bard can learn over time) and jokes. That would
                         be something you could post an announcement for on the public plaza. It would take some time programming the bard, but you
                         get something for it. (entertainment by fellow players, something that you don\'t see in other RPG\'s.)

Thekkur
    lpancallo
    PS Director
                            posted 29-10-2001 13:00 GMT            

There\'s a workaround to this.

We can use direct communication between players. If someone want to talk also with voice to other players he can establish a
                         direct connection. This will be not the same as hearing anyone talking in a street, but will solve the bandwidth problem.
    Thekkur
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 29-10-2001 17:46 GMT            

It will also eliminate the fun of listening to a bard :(

Thekkur
    LyssiahStormWhisperer
                            posted 31-10-2001 05:02 GMT            

What a great suggestion, I must say.

How about this to help workaround the bandwith problem (Under the assumption, of course, that this game will already have
                         certain sound effects anyway):

1. Bards will have the option of learning instruments/songs.
                         2. Depending on the mastery of skill at each level, a certain song/instrument can be heard server-wide or area-wide. These
                         songs/instrument sounds are already programmed into the game, in the same way as a magic spell is programmed, with the
                         addition of a wav/midi file. After all, some games provide their sound effects via a short wav/midi as it is.
                         3. Since the sound/song is already in the game, it won\'t drain the bandwith, won\'t require direct connection, will have the players
                         in an area \"hear\" the bard\'s entertainment, and enhance roleplayability of that proposed character.
    Catalyst88
                            posted 31-10-2001 09:42 GMT            

When you reach a certain level you should also be able to compose your own songs...
    whitti
                            posted 02-11-2001 05:27 GMT            

neat LyssiahStormWhisperer that is a wonderful idea! I think that staff (other than me) should check this out. Catalyst...maybe
                         this would require sending in a file to admin and he/she inserting it into the game via the next patch. Although I think Catalyst
                         your Idea is 2 complicated.

Whitti WTB PR member
    ParaSite
                            posted 04-11-2001 22:39 GMT            

In Half-Life (a fps) they\'ve introduced voice chat lately. I dunno how they do it, but it takes hardly any bandwith. maybe...
    Thekkur
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 05-11-2001 01:23 GMT            

That\'s true, but 32 players chatting is a lot much less than 1000 players chatting... And it\'s no fun being a bard when everybody
                         ca talk. That\'s why I thin that only enabling bards to chat is manageble.

Thekkur
    ifritnet
                            posted 13-11-2001 20:42 GMT            

Yeah, but it\'s not fair...
    Dwinney
                            posted 03-12-2001 05:29 GMT            

It IS fair, after all bards have lousy fighting skills.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 01:21:30 am »
The bard-voice idea is intriguing... but I think it is ultimately for some other game. For one thing, it\'s clearly not viable without classes...

Allowing musicians to play pre-stored music sounds really cool (and doable) :)

Killz4Thrillz

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 02:50:54 am »
You people will instantly change your minds once some 7yr old jumps on and starts screaming.
Lasarath

Psalms

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2002, 09:47:24 am »
lol itll turn into counter strike

Anath

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2002, 11:06:29 am »
Seems like a big deal to me also.
Maybe if it was added to the game it should be restricted to certain people. Like when you want to open a guild there are rules. Maybe they should also have people write in and give them information on where, when and why they want their voices to be in the game, and they would have to follow certain guide lines. Like, for a play, or a performance of some kind. When that time has finished, the voice activation will discontinue. I think it would cut down on problems and you also wouldnt have to hear some bards nasty jokes (or a screaming 7 yo) wherever you went, all the time.
Just a thought...

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2002, 12:46:01 am »
Personally, I am all for realtime audio voice communication in PS.  I think it would be neat, and make fighting more realistic, if voices were multicast to the group.  Also, I could easily see /tell implementing such a thing.

Doing it for larger groups like guilds or \"the world\" seems hard, and potentially detrimental to me.

Anyway, I would like to write such a thing, so maybe someday the PS team will get around to it.  :-)

- Vengeance

tigger

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2002, 01:05:50 am »
U know how I would do it

in the character creation menu U choose a voice for ur character. then in the game U can shout certain commands as \"follow me\" or even somethin like \"I will have your head\"

A TiGGeR is a wonderful thing...
Their heads are made of rubber and their tales made of a spring
A TiGGeR is a wonderful thing...