Author Topic: skinning  (Read 559 times)

dragonfire999

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
skinning
« on: January 09, 2005, 07:25:35 pm »
i know you can skin... but when i do i get an error \"Server sent invalid filename\" though all the files have the origional path and filename
all i do is extract all the files to planeshift/art and then edit the enkif files to my liking
then i add them to models.zip and close out
then i get the error
anyone want to help me here
? ?(

= <3

DeviantArt

Stydracos

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 09:29:17 pm »
I\'ve been creating/created some skins for Blitzer members.

I haven\'t had any problems as long as I :

- Keep the zip structure (models\\enkif) and filenames exactly the same ( eg. enkif_torso.png )

- Keep the filetype the same of course ;) this also means keep the image 24 bit etc.

- When adding the files back into the models.zip file make sure the compression is on fastest, or failing that (as it depends on the zip program) try different compressions. But what you say it sounds like you do as I do and use a program like winrar that allows you to have the zip open a drop the new files in at a compression of your liking?

Doing the above I found I could skin for this version of Planeshift. The only problem I had was with the compression so hopefully the error I recieved was the same (can\'t remember what error I had though).

I hope this helped and everything works out for you.

Regards,
Sty

Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.
Sun Tzu On The Art Of War

dragonfire999

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 09:54:12 pm »
changing it to fastest worked
thanks a lot!

= <3

DeviantArt

Jekkar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 10:48:19 am »
hmmm , i made some skins 2 . But is it normal that if you replace the file and play the game everybody has the same skin that you made ? Isn\'t there a way that only your character has the skin ?
"A new day will come when those who rudely interrupt are swept away!" -Lereal

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 12:37:28 pm »
When I\'m creating skins I don\'t bother to unzip them all/zip them up again. I just delete the single file from the zip, and add the new one in (with the same filename, of course). Works every time.

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 01:10:09 pm »
Originally posted by Jekkar
hmmm , i made some skins 2 . But is it normal that if you replace the file and play the game everybody has the same skin that you made ? Isn\'t there a way that only your character has the skin ?

This is normal, because the files won\'t get downloaded from the server for obvious reasons. Hence, the altered files are used because the server essentially only says \"race= XY gnder=XY\". The client then selects the appropriate model and skins and uses it. It\'s done for everyone including your own char, so there\'s no way to only have your char look that way. Obviously, nobody else is going to see your skin as well.

Later on, as can be seen from the char creation, it is planned to have several skins and options, but seeing that there aren\'t even all char models yet, it\'d be stupid to waste effort on this just yet.
Since the coding should be easy enough, it might be an option to send in all skins, agree to the PS license, and then maybe have them included if they\'re good enough. But if the devs would be interested in that, they\'d have done so already, so I doubt it\'ll happen.

Edit: Obviously, you could modify the client code to use a different skin and / or model for the local player\'s char, but it\'ll require compilation of the CVS version, and will be a hell to maintain because you can\'t use the updater anymore.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 01:12:30 pm by Seytra »

Jekkar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 01:17:15 pm »
OK :( , thanx for explaining guys ...
"A new day will come when those who rudely interrupt are swept away!" -Lereal