Author Topic: Narcal's Challenge  (Read 1739 times)

Askr

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 11:39:17 am »
Originally posted by zanzibar
Originally posted by Askr

These doings were before my time, but from my interaction with the leaders of the Guild Knights I have found them to be far from dishonorable.  I have yet to meet all of my fellow Knights, so it is possible that there will be those that I do not agree with.  But, then again, I do not expect to find mirror images of myself when I walk into the guild hall.  As for Thilele, I know not of this individual and cannot attest to his character.

How long have you been in Guild Knights?

I do not think the length of time matters so much as the amount of interaction.  I have been actively involved in my guild and have had numerous occasion to observe the actions and words of my leaders.  But, as I am sure you are going to suggest, time will tell.  Nonetheless, it does not change the fact that up until this point there has been little to support the statements of those who prefer to talk about others when they are not present to defend themselves.

Askr Folkwarder

Arch Knight of the Guild Knights

Askr

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 11:50:37 am »

Your anger is unfounded sir.  It is quite obvious that you are under false impression.  There are no universal codes of conduct that all adhere to.  If that were the case we would have no thugs, rogues, bandits, brigandes or any other types who pray upon the fear, weakness or power of others.  Likewise, there would be no differentiation between groups of people, no need for different guilds upholding different ideals.  But as is blatantly obvious, there are many who hold different views of proper conduct in any given situation.  This applies to duels as well.  For some people to duel with anything other than staffs is improper.  For others, there are no rules so long as there is victory for one side.

To complain of the outcome of duels being death seems a bit naive.  What other outcome would you propose?  Perhaps we should forgo the honor of duels and play dice instead?  Where is the honor in that?  Where is the honor in besting your opponent with dice?

Should I be offended because the Knight Avatar speaks his mind as well?  Or perhaps you feel you are the only one who deserves an opinion on the subject?  It seems you believe your ideas of proper conduct, honor, and nobility should be the customs of all.  Is this how you feel about thoughts as well?  Should all who come before you relinquish their hold on their own minds so that you may fill their heads and hearts with your own thoughts, beliefs, and ideals?  I think not, good sir, because that would be bordering on the corruptive and destructive influences of the evils in our great Realm.

Askr Folkwarder

r.guppy

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 06:59:25 pm »
I am not angered but saddened to think your idea of a gentleman\'s fight is nothing more than excuse to kill and call it honer , no i do not impose my way on others i just stat what i think is a duel

Askr

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 07:18:01 pm »

Again you are assuming that I or anyone else must agree with you upon what makes a gentleman.  Dueling has not always been a gentleman\'s fight.  For some it was the only way to settle a dispute.  The gods work their will through the combatants, the fates would spin their threads, and the two individuals at dispute would fight to the death.  The only attrition granted to the loser was death, while the survivor was honored for being just, true, right, or however would best describe the victor in the dispute.  There was never made mention of the individual\'s character, personality, flaws, or any other such trait except in the ballads recited afterwords.

Beyond this you have those battles that were waged as a test.  Duelling to determine who was the best leader, who was the strongest warrior, who alone could walk with his head held high because he stood alone upon the field of battle while his opponents were carried away in carts.  There would be honor on both sides.  To die in battle alongside your kinsmen is the greatest honor, the greatest demonstration of nobility, one can have.  Likewise, to defeat those who come against you and be the sole bearer of victory for your People and Creed is the greatest honor you can pay to your Ancestors and Descendants.

But what does character have to do with this?  Nothing.  Even the peasantry die for their causes.  Even the lowliest of thralls can die in a fight for freedom, justice, truth and/or honor.  Duelling is not solely for the gentleman.

Great ballads and sagas are not told of those who fought no battles, whether it was a battle of mind, wits or upon the fields of honor.  These legends and tales are left to those who are beyond the confines of the average individual in some way.  

And frankly, you have not reserved your statements to the limits of what you think is a duel, but instead attempted to define such according to what you think is right and just.  Tradition and law are upheld by the lawful.  To take a neutral stance on such things is to be aware that your thoughts or opinions should never be used to influence others.

Askr Folkwarder

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 09:28:35 pm »
Originally posted by Askr

These doings were before my time, but from my interaction with the leaders of the Guild Knights I have found them to be far from dishonorable.

Ok... how long have you been in Guild Knights?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Askr

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2005, 10:59:11 am »
Greetings Shalmanesar.  I have been with the Guild Knights for approximately three weeks, sir.

Askr Folkwarder

sirunie

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 08:41:42 am »
Janner sir please dont hold it against me if I get drunk and pass out !There for not being able to respond.
Its harnquists fault. The drunk:P He keeps getting the ale from the tavern for me.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 08:46:47 am by sirunie »

r.guppy

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 09:06:29 am »
Hehe ok i fell like doing that right now :)

sirunie

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 09:24:11 am »
:P Why not Harnquist is buying.  ;)