Author Topic: The Duel  (Read 1122 times)

Drahlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
The Duel
« on: May 05, 2006, 11:43:26 am »
Though her tone was so strikingly familiar...

...“Quitaa, it is?  Hiding behind false names and false accusations... you talk with the tongue of a coward.

Shal, you seem to be suggesting that Quittaa is my alt, but she is not. This isn't the first time you've accused someone else of being my alt.

Now that I'm here, I think I'll tell of a battle I once had in Hydlaa...

After a long day of battling ulbernauts, I headed into Hydlaa just as the light was beginning to fade. I headed over to the blacksmith shop to check in with my friend Harnquist, and sell a few goods I'd accumulated in my travels. I noticed with distaste a couple of dwarves in the area, and glared at them menacingly. They quickly scampered off to do whatever it is that dwarves do... Dig in the dirt, get drunk, you know how they are.

I noticed an adolescent elf leaning against the blacksmith shop. He was watching in amusement as the dwarves vanished into the distance. We began conversing for a while, just small talk, then he asked me if I wanted to duel with him. I was tired, but I always a good fight, so I agreed.

As we walked out into the clearing, I noticed him open his cloak and pull out a huge skin flask, and drink, and drink, and drink. It seemed minutes before he finished it off, and returned the empty skin back under his cloak. I hoped it was water he was drinking, because if it was ale, I knew this would be a short and boring fight.

He smiled a strange smile, as if he knew a secret that I did not. He then drew his daggers, as did I. We paced and circled for a bit, and then lunged for each other. As he ran past, I stab him with both daggers, one under the ribs stabbing upwards into his lung, the other downward between his neck and his shoulder. I knew I'd inflicted deadly wounds, and waited for him to drop, but he remained on his feet! I'd never seen even the strongest man stand after even one wound like that, but somehow this boy seemed practically unhurt. I began to be suspicious and more cautious.

We approached each other again, then I lunged, easily avoiding his daggers, and stabbed him in his left kidkey, but again he did not fall from this wound. I charged again, slashing at him, but this time he managed to block my strikes, though was unable to strick at me. I feinted to the left, dodged to the right, and sunk one dagger deep into his throat, and the other into his groin. As I stood there, confused that he could survive not one, but FIVE mortal wounds, I dropped my guard, and one of his daggers struck me. It was clumsy and slow, but I failed to block in my confusion. I expected it to be nothing more than a scratch, but was shocked as pain wracked my body. The stab came with such power that I was lifted off the ground. I knew his slender arms could not manage this, and suddenly realized I had been tricked with potions.

As I slumped to the ground, and my vision began to fade, I noticed a green liquid drip from the cap of the skin he had drunk from. It finally made sense how an unskilled boy was able to kill me. I knew I was defeated by potions and trickery rather than skill, and closed my eyes in peace. Better to die honorably, than to live on in cowardice and dishonor.

Besides, I was not afraid of death... You see, long ago I discovered the secret of escaping the realm of death, and knew I would soon return to continue my quest of slaying dwarves, this time a bit wiser with the knowledge that not all in Yliakum value honor and skill.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The Duel
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 12:44:41 pm »
I don't want to turn this into a back and forth argument, but I think a few things need to be said:

Shal, you seem to be suggesting that Quittaa is my alt, but she is not.

Ok.

You wrote a good story, it's entertaining, but there are a few things about it that need correcting:

- You threatened to kill the dwarves.
- The dwarves didn't leave.
- I told you that you would have to go "through me" to get to them.
- You attacked me.  I did not attack back until after you had hit me half a dozen times.  I used the potions to avoid having to kill you, but you wouldn't stop.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 08:12:49 pm by zanzibar »
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Drahlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 01:04:12 pm »
Shal said:

- You attacked me.  I did not attack back until after you had hit me half a dozen times.  I used the potions to avoid having to kill you, but you wouldn't stop.

* Drahlian laughs heartily. So you challenged me, then when I accepted, you didn't want to kill me? Excuse me, but wouldn't NOT DUELING be a better way to not kill me? You really expect me to believe that? You should have yielded after I hit you a half dozen times if you were so concerned with not killing me, it would have been the honorable thing to do.

I watched you duel with two other people at the event at the stone face recently. I noticed you did around 220 damage with your daggers in the first duel, more than a silverweave would do. Then I watched as you killed a couple clackers that were wandering around, and your damage was back to the normal 195 or so of a silverweave. At this time, your description showed "Shal is about as strong as you." Then you challenged Acka, someone far weaker than you and I. When the battle started, your description showed "Shal is somewhat stronger than you," and again you hit for 220+ and killed Acka. A couple minutes later, your description again said "Shal is about as strong as you," and you were again hitting clackers at 195.

I find it quite cowardly and dishonorable to use potions in a duel, especially against far weaker opponents. However I do take it as a compliment that you felt it necessary to down so many potions in order to face me.

I suggest you stop being afraid to lose a fair fight, and try to earn the respect of other fighters.

-Drahlian

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 01:22:56 pm »
* Drahlian So you challenged me, then when I accepted, you didn't want to kill me? Excuse me, but wouldn't NOT DUELING be a better way to not kill me? You really expect me to believe that? You should have yielded after I hit you a half dozen times if you were so concerned with not killing me, it would have been the honorable thing to do.

I see this conversation as OOC, and I'm treating it as such.

IC, I challenged your character to defend the dwarves.  Defending the dwarves was a higher priority than keeping you alive.  Figure it out...

I find it quite cowardly and dishonorable to use potions in a duel, especially against far weaker opponents. However I do take it as a compliment that you felt it necessary to down so many potions in order to face me.

I suggest you stop being afraid to lose a fair fight, and try to earn the respect of other fighters.

My character killed Arka at Baston's request as part of an RP.  I basically murdered her character, it wasn't an  "honourable duel".  And no, I didn't use potions, I used the strength spell.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 01:17:27 am by zanzibar »
Immaturity is FTW.

Irick

• Hydlaa Resident
  • *Meow*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 12:27:04 pm »

My character killed Arka at Baston's request as part of an RP.  I basically murdered her character, it wasn't an  "honourable duel".  And no, I didn't use potions, I used the strength spell.
dident you get all ticked off at Quittaa for useing spells in your duel?
-Irick (frequent rper and Macie)
Though hidden in the shadows, my mind does not fear the Dark...

Head instructer of the Bujini-kyuuryuu-toutou-ryu

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 03:18:18 pm »

Yup.  It was a different kind of duel.  In one case, I was following Baston's order to kill someone.  In the other, Quitta challenged me to a duel as a test of honour and skill.  They were completely different situations.
Immaturity is FTW.

Irick

• Hydlaa Resident
  • *Meow*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 03:55:22 pm »

Yup.  It was a different kind of duel.  In one case, I was following Baston's order to kill someone.  In the other, Quitta challenged me to a duel as a test of honour and skill.  They were completely different situations.
not at all. her skill could include magic. *Irick's eyes darken* And magic is more noble then trickery. I have to side with Quittaa [get her name right  =/ 2 a's] on this topic. she beet you fairly. if you can't accept that then fine. but if you call her dishonorable because your to pouty to accept defeat then you might need a get to know reality a little better. and from Iricks experience you have a lot to learn about honor Shal.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 04:52:32 pm »

not at all. her skill could include magic. *Irick's eyes darken* And magic is more noble then trickery. I have to side with Quittaa [get her name right  =/ 2 a's] on this topic. she beet you fairly. if you can't accept that then fine. but if you call her dishonorable because your to pouty to accept defeat then you might need a get to know reality a little better. and from Iricks experience you have a lot to learn about honor Shal.

There was no trickery, and at this point you're just trolling.  You refuse to listen to reason.  Your in game and out of game actions confirm that you just want to start trouble.  I've told you that it was written from a certain perspective, and there are other things that you should know automatically without me telling you.  Seriously, I've been watching you and you're trying to turn every little thing that I do into a major event.  It's ridiculous, and don't try to say that it's IC.  Your posts on the forum prove that it is not.

If you're going to troll no matter what I say, could you at least bother to use correct punctuation?  It's annoying.
Immaturity is FTW.

Irick

• Hydlaa Resident
  • *Meow*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 05:19:16 pm »

There was no trickery, and at this point you're just trolling.  You refuse to listen to reason.  Your in game and out of game actions confirm that you just want to start trouble.  I've told you that it was written from a certain perspective, and there are other things that you should know automatically without me telling you.  Seriously, I've been watching you and you're trying to turn every little thing that I do into a major event.  It's ridiculous, and don't try to say that it's IC.  Your posts on the forum prove that it is not.

If you're going to troll no matter what I say, could you at least bother to use correct punctuation?  It's annoying.

[If your going to insult me at least only use the part you need, it uses up disk space and its annoying.

allso IC Irick has "never" started a fight. i will only chalenge people if it ticks Iricks rp self off Ie insulting honor or friends.
at the vary least keep your self on topic. you posted in the "Roleplaying" section of the forum, just becuse you do not see the need to stay in caricter dosent mean i shold. allso my only problem with you is ic but you are starting to become anoying OOC.

im refering by "trickery" to the first encounter i had with you IC and the reson irick has a problem with you. if you cant keep the grudge ic then by all means contenue to try to pin something on me to try to discredit my posts. but if you can reson then mabey you can stop for a minet and think about what evryone is saying and not just the people who agree with you. if anything you need to state that this is a storry and  based on trueth. i have sevral incounters in my storrys that i refer to rp events. i makesure not to use any names unless they are my friends or central to the storry. and if i differ it is only to make a better storry, not to try to convense others that she was acting out of her rp. if you change words deliberatly in a event to make the person seam worse then they are and provoke others to think that of them then you have proven that you OOC have eather a confidence problem and want to be able to controle others or have OOC resons to hate the OOC clicker behind the charicter. if you where staying ic then i wold have no prblem. your rp could be lawfull evil and you could be trying to trick people into your wy of seeing, but sence you have taken it out of charicter and ridiculed me for staying in charicter in an in charicter forum i will openly point out any mistakes i find. and not in an ic way. allso if you have an acusation on me please post proof so i can point out the doctering. if you make an acusation on my ooc person wile never have had a talk nor seen how i act then i will be varry interested in seeing how you came up with any conclution on to as whether i try to make evrything into something bigger then it is. seeing that i have only disagreed with one tread and gess what. you started it. i had no problem with you OOC i was pointing out IC mistakes. if you insist on taking it to an OOC offence then by all means go right ahead.

Sorry for the rant but im iritable right now.and you are realy becomeing annoying]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 05:45:35 pm by Irick »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 06:20:32 pm »
I don't know of any grudge, I don't remember what this "encounter" we had was.  You're the only one of the two of us who seems to remember it.

Like I've said before, this is not an RP event.  It's a story, and further it's a story from a certain perspective.
Immaturity is FTW.

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 09:01:59 pm »
first of all, i agree with drahlian that using any kind of potion in battles are dishonourable, and i dislike battling against thoose, yeah drahlian used them once, but she doesn't anymore, Peacer stood up for the dwarves to, several times before the dwarvesbane guild was made to.

Using magic in duels are for the wise, it's very hard to win magic vs weapons as you can get killed in one hit with your weapons and several hits with magic, how are you going to do when magic get's as balanced as weapons are? Saying no mages should live. In taht case you will get someone on your back and get hit by a magical trap or something, or peacer would cast the clumsy spell on you before going down some stairs (lol.)
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 09:56:38 pm »
first of all, i agree with drahlian that using any kind of potion in battles are dishonourable, and i dislike battling against thoose, yeah drahlian used them once, but she doesn't anymore, Peacer stood up for the dwarves to, several times before the dwarvesbane guild was made to.

Using magic in duels are for the wise, it's very hard to win magic vs weapons as you can get killed in one hit with your weapons and several hits with magic, how are you going to do when magic get's as balanced as weapons are? Saying no mages should live. In taht case you will get someone on your back and get hit by a magical trap or something, or peacer would cast the clumsy spell on you before going down some stairs (lol.)

Winning with magic is pretty easy actually.  You just run around a lot and use missile whenever you're out of range.  Unless the other person forces you to make a rush by using magic on you, you're set.
Immaturity is FTW.

Drahlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 11:04:31 pm »
Winning with magic is pretty easy actually. You just run around a lot and use missile whenever you're out of range. Unless the other person forces you to make a rush by using magic on you, you're set.

<OOC>
You can't "run around a lot" while using magic. The moment you run, your spell fails. You can walk, but not run, so it is very difficult to kill someone completely with magic if they are using weapons and are of any significant power. It take around 7 energy arrows to kill a full-strength player, so any decent player with weapons has plenty of time to smack the caster while he's just walking and vulnerable. I've personally found arrows quite useful, however, when a dagger strike leaves my opponent with 2% health, and they're a safe distance away. Word of warning: Don't try this with Redic! If I get him to 2%, he's on me like glue, making darn sure I don't have time to let an arrow fly. :)
</OOC>

-Drahlian

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 11:16:11 pm »
Winning with magic is pretty easy actually. You just run around a lot and use missile whenever you're out of range. Unless the other person forces you to make a rush by using magic on you, you're set.

<OOC>
You can't "run around a lot" while using magic. The moment you run, your spell fails. You can walk, but not run, so it is very difficult to kill someone completely with magic if they are using weapons and are of any significant power. It take around 7 energy arrows to kill a full-strength player, so any decent player with weapons has plenty of time to smack the caster while he's just walking and vulnerable. I've personally found arrows quite useful, however, when a dagger strike leaves my opponent with 2% health, and they're a safe distance away. Word of warning: Don't try this with Redic! If I get him to 2%, he's on me like glue, making darn sure I don't have time to let an arrow fly. :)
</OOC>

-Drahlian

Everything posted on these forums is OOC.  All RPing happens in game.

Or at least it's supposed to.  With me, I assume that people are following the rules.  So there's no need for the brackets - I'm assuming that what you say here is OOC.

It is possible to run around a lot while fighting with spells.  You just stand in one place when you're far enough away, or behind some obstacle, or where the other person can't see you.
Immaturity is FTW.

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 02:12:28 am »
there's a difference in running there before a battle or when in a battle, if you do it before a battle and hit the poor laggers, :( they have no chance of killing you, and that would be as dishonest as using potions ;).

And this is a communitive story writing section for writing stories, but this thread has turned into some ooc discussion about duels...

edit:
warning: Don't try this with Redic! If I get him to 2%, he's on me like glue, making darn sure I don't have time to let an arrow fly. Smiley

bah i kill him in one hit anyway which makes me want a challenge sometime and try to win with magic :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 02:14:22 am by Peacer »
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account