Author Topic: Light armor change issue  (Read 1610 times)

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
Re: Light armor change issue
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 09:47:39 am »
Doesn't it say somewhere in the settings that Kran skin is the equivalent of leather armor? If this were so then it would be 5 + 5 = 10 with leather and not 5 +5 = 5.  Where did the Kran skin = 10 come from in the first place? From what I was told it was exactly the same and wearing leather was just redundant. Perhaps I missed a change somewhere, I do not usually look at the changelogs.
I just picked the "kran skin = 10" for my example. If Kran skin is indeed the equivalent of leather armour I should've picked 5 for clarity, but that doesn't matter. It's about the calculation itself, not the values, in my example.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

bilbous

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 10:39:19 am »
Fair enough Thom.

Now about the unarmored combat and agility, you don't really need a separate skill for unarmored if dodge is based on agility, all you really need to do is build in a modifier to the various armor types that reduces the effective agility more for the heavier types. For example clothes would be 0 light armor would be -5, medium might be -10 and heavy could be -20. The numbers do not matter at this point they are there just for clarity, they could be 0,10,20, and 40 or something else.
Alternatively you could go by percentage instead or a straight number and while you are at it  you could combine the armor number with an encumbrance value at the same time. For example using the lower numbers, a character with 50% encumbrance  could have a -25% Effective Agility (EA) from the weight and have 20 added to that if wearing heavy armor.

Of course it gets a little complicated if the person is wearing mismatched armor so that each piece would need its own modifier, the numbers above would represent a full set so heavy chest might be 8, leggings 7 gloves and boots 2 each and helm 1 to total 20. Medium armor would have 1/2 those values and light 1/4 all in addition to the weight modifier. The weight modifier for armor could be negated with expertise so at the highest levels you would only suffer the base modifier to EA and not the encumbrance for the armor pieces.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 04:38:53 am »
* Sen raises his hand

Is there any way to know if this, or something similar, is going to be implemented (Or at least thought about)?
It doesn't fit into bugtracker or wishlist I fear, but feedback or information would be welcome.

As unarmored fighter I see it a little (more than a little ;) ) unbalanced like it is now and suggestions about an improvement were already made in previous posts to which I can only agree.

Seeking for information
Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

theirah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 02:43:27 pm »
There already is a disadvantage to wearing heavier armor- you cant fight for as long. Since you are carrying more weight, each time you move, it takes more physical stamina. Someone can get used to moveing around in heavier armor, so that they can move just as fast, but it takes a whole lot more energy.

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 04:00:01 pm »
Could someone explain how exactly the 'natural armor' of Krans work at the moment? Is it a fixed value or can it be trained/improved?
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

Miaua

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 04:40:44 pm »
There already is a disadvantage to wearing heavier armor- you cant fight for as long. Since you are carrying more weight, each time you move, it takes more physical stamina. Someone can get used to moveing around in heavier armor, so that they can move just as fast, but it takes a whole lot more energy.

Not at all for high-stats characters. They can fight for unlimited time.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 06:59:56 pm »
You know what the opening posts remind me of? This! :D

Though I need to differ. It's not true all games handle armour same as PS does. Quite a few don't actually have an armour skill and I believe it's a far more reasonable solution than having armour improve damage reduction thanks to your skills.
And I think it would be best if the armour skills didn't deal with the damage, but much rather reducing disadvantages from wearing given type of armour.
But obviously this isn't the mmorpg style of doing things. Gods forbid, it could reduce the hack&slash feeling of the game :P
AKA Skald