Author Topic: Some pub music  (Read 704 times)

Monterey

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Some pub music
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:41:16 pm »
Hi everyone.
Well I havenĀ“t played this game for ages, but now I just wanted to return.. So IĀ“m downloading the newest version again and waiting to try whether my old bohemian blacksmith still exists. Now why IĀ“m writing here - IĀ“ve got an idea about some music performance in some pub. I donĀ“t know if there is a microphone support implemented (I havenĀ“t been there for a long time), but if isnĀ“t, I canĀ“t see a problem. The people who visit the pub can just join some voice-messenger such as skype or teamspeak and listen and chat in the pub as always. IĀ“m just afraid that no one will like the idea or no musician character will want to join.. But I think it could be interesting, what do you think?
I can try to make a recorder or flute or a whistle in the game somehow and then itĀ“ll be no problem at least for me to play..

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Some pub music
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:53:55 pm »
Some things to keep in mind to make this work:
- all chat in the tavern is in character
- everyone should be able to hear this (so the solution should work for everyone, not just for those with a skype account)

Monterey

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 05:13:13 pm »
Some things to keep in mind to make this work:
- all chat in the tavern is in character
- everyone should be able to hear this (so the solution should work for everyone, not just for those with a skype account)

yes of course, I want to do it as clean as possible. right now I canĀ“t see better way than this one. (the others in the pub who donĀ“t know whatĀ“s going on can be acquainted e.g. by the note in brackets). well it is true that itĀ“s better to play for everyone without special settings, but it isnĀ“t possible right now. the other people just wonĀ“t listen, if they will not want to.. is there a better solution..?

you know, in time we can form a band or something, and why not? why not to play a real living music in pubs? is it going to be terrible..? or quite nice?

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:26:11 pm »
The problem is that this is entirely OOC.  What you can do IRL is not what your character can do, and vice versa.  For example, if I can't sing or play guitar IRL, that doesn't mean I can't play a bard in PS.  What would be better would be to have some kind of option to program midis, or even just a limited selection of pre-recorded MP3s taht we could trigger from a console command.  Neither solution is perfect (and would likely not happen for a long, long time), but it's more practical and (most importantly) more IC.

Monterey

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 02:43:42 am »
The problem is that this is entirely OOC.  What you can do IRL is not what your character can do, and vice versa.  For example, if I can't sing or play guitar IRL, that doesn't mean I can't play a bard in PS.  What would be better would be to have some kind of option to program midis, or even just a limited selection of pre-recorded MP3s taht we could trigger from a console command.  Neither solution is perfect (and would likely not happen for a long, long time), but it's more practical and (most importantly) more IC.

well IĀ“m student and actor in real life, not a musician. the problem is, that you simply cannot play something, if youĀ“re just unable to use a musical instrument. and there is almost nothing significant about being a little musician. you can be rude, nice, you can be a potter or a fisherman. it is not as OC as one can think. I just want to bring some more life and beauty to the game and as it is, it seems to me that you donĀ“t want any change (in an open source development..).

(you say neither solution would likely not happen for a long time. it can happen before the day is out. the only question is, if you want or not. I want to do it for you and for the game, so if you donĀ“t like the idea, just say it)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 02:48:36 am by Monterey »

Prolix

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 03:05:47 am »
It is entirely possible to sing in PS and you can play an instrument as well. The only problem with it is the tune has to be left to the imagination of the audience. Certainly if you want to use skype or something you can do it now and you do not need anything from the developers but there is a limit to how many people you can conference with so some may get left out. Also it is kind of hard to play your character when you are playing your instrument. Somehow I do not think anyone will prevent you from doing something along those lines, people have been know to use third party apps for chatting while playing,

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 04:26:52 am »
...it seems to me that you donĀ“t want any change (in an open source development..).

(you say neither solution would likely not happen for a long time. it can happen before the day is out. the only question is, if you want or not. I want to do it for you and for the game, so if you donĀ“t like the idea, just say it)

I don't care at all if you do it, but saying that this means I "don't want change" is just silly.  Read some of my other posts if you'd like to see what changes I'd like.  The point is, anything you do with some other program is going to be OOC--what's IC is what happens in the PlaneShift world.  Thus, I'd like to see solutions implemented that work within that world, and within the game itself.  I realize that such things are very low-priority (and rightly so) for the devs, though, so it'll be a long time before we see them, if ever.  If you want to sing on Skype, then that's great for you.  I sincerely hope you have fun with it.  However, I don't think that players should feel the need to use Skype to RP--RP happens in the writing, the portrayal.  It's already 100% possible--the rest is bells and whistles, as it were.

Morla Phlint

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Rrivaln hrraln mo hetakh! (Enkien)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 08:33:52 am »
IC and OOC... the differentiation between the two is becoming an end in itself sometimes. This is a game, we are here to have fun in the first place and not to keep an eye on who has taken a step out of the line. I personally think that the idea of Monterey will give variety to the tavern life and enhance the RP experience. Let's be open for new ideas.

At the end the decision if you want to take part in it, is yours just like about any other roleplay.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:43:20 am by Morla Phlint »

since 0.3.019 Crystal Blue || Sometimes a ragequit is the right decision.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 12:32:13 pm »
A lot of 'RP' happens in group or guild, out of public hearing. NPC 'RP' happens completely within the NPC tab. I see no issue with someone 'singing' to only those who want to hear it (since a lot of people leave the sound off anyways). I think voip would be sloppy, though.

My suggestion: Make your songs, record them, upload them where your friends and others can download them, then do a simple /me starts to sing 'Old boat on the Radiant'. Those who have the song DLed can start to play it in an external program (or if someone has some coding know how, play it directly in the PS client with a /play <song>). Shortcut the lyrics if you wish for those not 'in' on the song.

As long as the songs are meant to be IC, and not 'Stairway to Heaven', I approve. For now, this would have to be a completely playerside initiative.

Kwip

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 09:13:55 pm »
Hmm... I already hear singing though that indeed might be just me, infact if any one could hear it also I might suggest to them to get tests done.  Anyway one should never underestemate the power of written word coupled with the imagination in us.  If done correctly many will be drawn in and they themselves will hear it without even one note.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 09:28:27 pm by Kwip »
Lurking in that space between -             \The\____
 trying to see what is off both ends -        -----\Mad\_____
  but the confusion and chaos looks so fun -     ------\Bard\
   that I must now jump down twixt them both and dance the dance

Dreamcrafter

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 09:26:37 pm »
Anyway one should never underestemate the power of written word coupled with the imagination in us.  If done correctly many will be drawn in and they themselves will here it without even one note.

Hear, hear! ;)  That's exactly my point.  There's nothing wrong with actually RPing the making of music!  And we're perfectly equipped to do that already.

Monterey

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 09:36:54 pm »
Anyway one should never underestemate the power of written word coupled with the imagination in us.  If done correctly many will be drawn in and they themselves will here it without even one note.

Hear, hear! ;)  That's exactly my point.  There's nothing wrong with actually RPing the making of music!  And we're perfectly equipped to do that already.

I have never said I want to sing somewhere. thatĀ“s a myth created in just few posts.. :]  what I want is to bring a music, not a poetry. I mean a guitar, a flute, maybe something rhytmical.. something you can hear in a pub somewhere in Hydlaa.. no living voices at all, that could be confusing. just a melody.

Kwip

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 09:43:32 pm »
I have never said I want to sing somewhere. thatĀ“s a myth created in just few posts.. :]  what I want is to bring a music, not a poetry. I mean a guitar, a flute, maybe something rhytmical.. something you can hear in a pub somewhere in Hydlaa.. no living voices at all, that could be confusing. just a melody.

How is that different?  Words can create music in the minds of others too.
Lurking in that space between -             \The\____
 trying to see what is off both ends -        -----\Mad\_____
  but the confusion and chaos looks so fun -     ------\Bard\
   that I must now jump down twixt them both and dance the dance

Prolix

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 10:53:25 pm »
Ahh yes I remember well serenading a couple of fenki smiths with my tuneless humming near Harnquists.