Author Topic: dakkru means it for real  (Read 2650 times)

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: dakkru means it for real
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 01:30:04 am »
What Nivm described actually sounds pretty awesome. I'd love to see that.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Entevir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 03:05:32 am »
Seconded. The only problem I could see with that is that  a person might have some epically bad luck leading to hours uponof hours of real-time wandering without realy advacing much. Add a cut-off limit of passages after which the game starts to subtly steer you in the right direction and I'm good with that. In keeping with the DR theme of being lost that upper limit should be up high well enough that it doesn't become a strategy to walk through doors until the game lets you out.

By the way. Is my browser going crazy or is this thread in the storywriting forum ? Seems like a wishlist kind of thread.
If I stand on the axis of the world will you mind if I say that the world revolves around me ?

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 08:30:01 pm »
 It started as a mix of role-playing and game mechanics, but has now switched to game mechanics completely. So someone needs to move it to the wishlist.

The exact number of gates(/doors/portals/holes/mouths/mirrors) you would need to randomly enter to hit this limit would need to be tested and tweaked heavily, but it should be a multiple of the number of rooms you would need to pass through if you choose your path wisely (perfectly). Probably 8x-10x or so. When you hit the limit on the number of rooms, the next portal will take you to the room that lets you out, and you should get a message like "Your (eternal|steady|meandering) perseverance, symbolic of life, has taken you to your goal of life." What your perseverance is called would be based on the rate at which you went through doors, and whether or not you logged off for a day doing it.
 For each room, there should probably be 3-7 entrances and exits, and each one of them corresponds to a kind of path. At the beginning, the guardian will tell you a riddle like "Take the path inverted to the great tree." "Hold to the side of light, on your journey." "Lightning arc and lightning spark; be bright and then be dark." "Fire guides you from here to the lake, and then you must be the fire." "Find the flower, take the cup, drink deep and go up." "Take the knife in the dark as long as the dark keeps you." Each of these is a rule that tells you which path in any given room you must take. They are meant to also give you an idea of how long your trip to Dakkru's realm will take, as some riddles are shorter than others. Completing the last example, it means that every time you come from a dark entrance, find the exit that either uses a knife, or represents it. Once you come from a bright entrance, take any exit but the knife.
 The exits can be anything from a carved archway, to a fireplace, to a green bottle labeled "drink me". There could be in-dungeon item requirements, like taking the flower, actually picking up a knife, finding a torch. Those last two would probably be more like shortcut items, as you can use them to make a right exit. (The cup refers to a book, with a cup embroidered on the cover.)

I really do love this idea.

Dracaeon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • KJ website
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 10:36:51 pm »
I feel like some big fans of 'dungeon-delving' type games [Nethack, Moria, Angband, etc.] will play Planeshift entirely for the Death Realm, with the normal world being the 'town', etc.  On that note, perhaps some rooms would be pitch dark and would require a torch...This could also be implemented for some of the other dungeon-type maps [for example the tunnels in BD or in the Crater]

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 05:23:14 am »
 I think that if we put treasure or creatures in these dungeons, they should not be the kind you find anywhere else. Following with the spirit quest style, perhaps what you take back with you is the product of your quest, like the cup of knowledge. I don't think the player should get anything for the perseverance run.
 I wonder if this conflicts with the Dakkru mythos I know almost nothing about. Supposedly the death realm is a strange and disturbing place, but a lot of my ideas aren't all that disturbing...I have a door concept that fits the bill though.

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 05:17:10 pm »
Here's one of the existing death realm threads khoridor mentioned: http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=34085.0
Linked for your convenience. ;)