Author Topic: you do not have the correct permission to continue!  (Read 935 times)

Mashley2

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
you do not have the correct permission to continue!
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:59:28 am »
Hi guys, really want to start playing the game but evreytime i open the client it tells me i need to open the client as an admin before i can load the update.

"An update is available but you do not have the correct permission to continue! Please restart the program as an admin."

I have no idea what this means. Can anyone help please? Im also not great with computers so if you could dumb it down as much as possible i would really appreciate it.

Cheers  :)

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: you do not have the correct permission to continue!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:07 am »
Hi Mashley2,

An Admin is a special user account on your computer who has the right to install programs and also could break the whole system if
they don't know what they are doing. Normal user accounts can't do that for security reasons. ;)
But to update PlaneShift, you need those rights.

Ask the person who installed the computer for you for the admin passord. The details of how to proceed then
will depend on what operating system you are using: WindowsXP/Vista/7, MacOs or a flavour of Linux?

Best,
Minks

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:05:46 pm »
Mashly2-
I you have Microsoft Windows, right click on your Planeshift icon, then choose the option from the drop down menu that says "Run as administrator". I don't know about how to do this on other operating systems.

Good luck!
RR
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 03:37:00 pm »
Hiya Mashley2

This sounds like exactly the same problem I had a little while ago.  :sorcerer:

I'm running on a Mac here, don't know if you are too, but it sounds similar.  :P  Anyway, make sure that you're not just running the game off of the dmg.  Move the Planeshift folder into your applications, then try running it from there :)  That should fix the admin.  issue, then you should be able to run the updater and get in game just fine :)

Best of luck, let me know how it goes!

~Caraick
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

ehkesoyo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:16:10 am »
I was having the samen problem, but now it wont even open pslaunch. Whenever I try to it appears an error log:

"Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, <src/common/paws/pawsmainwidget.cpp:47 pawsMainWidget SEVERE>
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, Failed to load GUI keys
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, <src/common/util/psxmlparser.cpp:282 ParseFile SEVERE>
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, Could not find file: /paws/temp_skin/skin.xml
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, <src/common/paws/pawsmanager.cpp:380 LoadSkinDefinition SEVERE>
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, Could not read skin.xml on /planeshift/art/pslaunch.zip!
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, <src/common/paws/pawsmanager.cpp:153 PawsManager SEVERE>
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, Failed to load skin /planeshift/art/pslaunch.zip!"

P.S.: After checking it I realised that pslaunch opens (with the problem mashley described) if I do so from dmg, not if I try with the one I moved to applications

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:28:15 am »
I was having the samen problem, but now it wont even open pslaunch. Whenever I try to it appears an error log:

"Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, <src/common/paws/pawsmainwidget.cpp:47 pawsMainWidget SEVERE>
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, Failed to load GUI keys
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, <src/common/util/psxmlparser.cpp:282 ParseFile SEVERE>
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, Could not find file: /paws/temp_skin/skin.xml
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, <src/common/paws/pawsmanager.cpp:380 LoadSkinDefinition SEVERE>
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, Could not read skin.xml on /planeshift/art/pslaunch.zip!
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, <src/common/paws/pawsmanager.cpp:153 PawsManager SEVERE>
Tue Aug 24 12:11:54 2010, Failed to load skin /planeshift/art/pslaunch.zip!"

P.S.: After checking it I realised that pslaunch opens (with the problem mashley described) if I do so from dmg, not if I try with the one I moved to applications

Your paths look like a Linux flavour of some sort. If that is the case, then the download and install probably has strict root permissions. It should be able to be set up system wide in somewhere like /usr/share so long as group "users" has executable permissions. My guess is they do not in your case. If there is a Sys Admin running things on your system ask them to set things right using the command chmod.

If there is no need to have a system wide install (you are the only user on the system playing PS) then the simplest thing to do would be to reinstall PS while under your user account so that it will have all the permissions required to run from that account's home directory.

For example my copy of PS runs from /home/booner/Gaming/opt/PlaneShift .

If your copy is running from your home directory yet was mistakenly installed while logged on as root then you could use the chmod command (when positioned at the top of the PS directory) to change the permissions of the files below you with a recursive chmod command. See "man chmod" for usage.

Perhaps it may be easier for you to remove the present copy using root (or simply ignore it depending on how much free disk space you have) and reinstall ensuring you are doing so with the account which you plan to play the game under.

To test my theory log in as root and try starting the game. If that works you could continue doing so; yet it is not recommended as you could end up with further permission problems, or worse, while accessing the game that way. 

Hope that helps.

- Nova