Author Topic: I want to learn to roleplay, can anyone help me?  (Read 354 times)

Aestarel

• Traveller
  • ~Im gelir ceni ad lín~
    • View Profile
I want to learn to roleplay, can anyone help me?
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:04:35 pm »
I'm actually not a newbie, but I've never stayed long in the game. I'm starting again after a year of inactivity and this time I want to do it right so I actually stay. So I want to learn to roleplay better.
I guess I just don't really know how to start roleplays. I've done it on forums/Facebook before but always with someone else starting. But since no one is gonna do that in this situation I'm putting myself out there.  :sweatdrop:
I guess what I'm saying is, my character needs a friendly date or something of the sort. If anyone's up for that that'd be awesome.
Other than that, tips would be nice.
-An awkward RPer
Sarane Nolsir :: Dermorian
Cilean Archet :: Enkidukai

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: I want to learn to roleplay, can anyone help me?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 01:29:59 pm »
Of course we will.

A lot of good advices have already been collected in the Newbies area.

The best role to play is a role you know because you built it up to a certain degree of detail.

And if you keep patiently looking around and listening to others in-game, you will have an easy start.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 01:40:15 pm »
I would suggest taking some time to think on the difference in what your character knows and what you as the player knows. Then work on some traits for your character... one or two will do. These two issues seem to be the first hurdles to forming RP for your character.

Example:
You might know where the Octarch's residence is, but your character might not know. An RP can be started by asking other characters where the building is. You would RP it as if you had absolutely no clue even though you do. (separation of player and character knowledge)

A trait you might have for your character could be that your character is always getting lost and must rely on others to tell them how to get around. This will allow you to start RPs by simply asking where stuff is. (starting a simple RP)

I personally started out with having Illy loosing stuff and it eventually turned into a really nice RP to do with characters I wasn't familiar with. It could even be done without directly interacting with the characters around me and sometimes it prompted others to approach me first. :3

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 03:11:21 pm »
When I started out, I didn't know anyone who role played. I knew a few who said they did, but in hindsight, they really didn't - but I had no way of knowing that. If you can find a dedicated role playing guild, then that's a great way to get started and immersed. A few good places to meet role players include Kada El's, the Stonehead, and the Red Crystal Den, possibly Brado's in Oja (I don't know.. I'm never really there). You just need to be patient and hang out for a long time. It also helps if you slap up a simple character description. I usually don't bother approaching people who don't have a character description. The lack of one tells me that they most likely do not role play.

If you enjoy crime, dark themes, spying and stuff like that, then gimmie a tell if you see me in game!

Whisper Bless!
Rigwyn

Karlyle

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 03:35:18 pm »
I always enjoy trying to start up a conversation that sometimes takes off, though sometimes they go nowhere either [kinda like real life :P] I know I still have a lot to learn, but if you see me around .... dont hesitate to approach me.

Karlyle
Come by the Crystal Den and enjoy a drink

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 03:44:21 pm »
Give me a poke anytime you're around, and I'd love to set up an IC meeting.  If you see any of the Adani, tell them Caraick told you to play with the Order  ;)
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Ebonwumon

• Hydlaa Resident
  • lol b&
    • View Profile
    • DEPOT WAREHOUSE!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:21:56 pm »
Just do it.

You're going to make some horribly embarassing mistakes as you try things, and these embarassments will haunt you for the rest of your life, just like the time when you were in 4th grade and wet your pants while playing a video game on the computer in class.

But the more you immerse yourself in it, and just friggin' do it, the better you'll get. Like learning a language.

I am most certainly NOT the one known as Perriwinkle or Overtherainbow

Aestarel

• Traveller
  • ~Im gelir ceni ad lín~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 07:41:10 pm »
You're going to make some horribly embarassing mistakes as you try things, and these embarassments will haunt you for the rest of your life, just like the time when you were in 4th grade and wet your pants while playing a video game on the computer in class.
- my fear in a nutshell. Thanks for the reassurance  ;D
Sarane Nolsir :: Dermorian
Cilean Archet :: Enkidukai

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 08:01:50 pm »
In general I found out that many people understand roleplaying pretty differently, and there are many opinions, so I don't easily buy arguments like "I came and found no one roleplaying", which usually mean there were no roleplayers for the ideas/styles that person expected. So first of all find out for yourself what you want from the roleplay, and what you are actually interested (or not interested) in. Then you can learn how to do it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:04:26 pm by Gilrond »

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 03:20:26 am »
As the other already said: Look for RPers IG. That is the easiest way to learn RPing. If you can't find anyone to RP with, just try and ask in gossip. RPers can't be always everywhere. But sometimes I wish I could ;)

[...] A few good places to meet role players include Kada El's, the Stonehead, and the Red Crystal Den, possibly Brado's in Oja (I don't know.. I'm never really there). [...]

The plaza is not a bad place either, but people tend to run past you there.

[...] It also helps if you slap up a simple character description. I usually don't bother approaching people who don't have a character description. The lack of one tells me that they most likely do not role play.

That is true. I tend to do the same, even though I  know that it isn't like that all the time.