Author Topic: Weapon and Armour Repair comments  (Read 339 times)

thalaric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Weapon and Armour Repair comments
« on: December 18, 2011, 10:57:09 am »
Ok, the folllowing changes have been applied.

1) We modified a number of weapon costs to align those to the actual damage per second value, so their overall effectiveness.
2) We brought some basic weapons, like mace, club, shortsword, dagger, knife below 1000 tria value.
3) We modified the script to repair, so it's possible to repair all weapons below 1000 trias with no skill in repair. More skills is required for more costly weapons
4) We changed the decay rate for all weapons from 0.1 to 0.01. So basically now those decay 10 times slower.
5) Modified the description of the repair kits, so they tell the player how can be used.

This is just some thoughts in regards to the new changes, which I am very happy about.

Armour decay rate was never mentioned, was this rate decreased as well? The armour decay rate was as fast as weapons.

The new decreased decay rates on weapons means that it will take approximately 10x longer to train the Weapon Repair skill, which was already a very difficult skill to train. You have to repair a certain number of weapons in order to increase your repair level, and since weapons decay slower it will be near impossible to create enough damaged weapons to increase your level. It may be that now that weapons last longer, the Repair skills should be tweaked to match the new rate of decay.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:02:11 am by thalaric »

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon and Armour Repair comments
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:29:30 pm »
The decay was applied to all items, armors included.

About the additional time to train weapon repair skill, why you say the two are linked? Training should not be linked to decay rate.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:59:35 pm by Talad »

Erteky

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:54:04 pm »
Hi there, I agree with all these changes, but why it's necessary to decrease the weapon cost? I was making tria basically from selling shortswords, they used to sell for 1760... one sells for 720 now :o That's too low in my opinion...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:12:36 pm by Erteky »

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:59:29 pm »
The decay was applied to all items, armors included.

About the additional time to train weapon repair skill, why you say the two are linked? Training should should not be linked to decay rate.

It doesn't, strictly speaking, but an item at 49.9 quality still appears to be 50/50 so an inexperienced user might not think it can be repaired. Still repairing that minor amount of damage will reduce the weapon to 48/48 so it doesn't really help that much either. Very small repairs ought not reduce the maximum quality beyond the damage, or at least the reduction ought to be proportional to the amount repaired. Two points of quality reduction for a .1 point repair is excessive except under a critical failure, a point 2 reduction is more reasonable. Perhaps adding an order or two of damage report would be useful, i.e, calculate and display the decimal portion so everyone can see what exactly is going on.

I believe he thought that zero damage results would be more common than before rather than that the non-zero amounts would be reduced doing less damage but still some.

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 04:50:25 am »
Also, the reduced decay rate will affect the player economy. I believe many people training the repair skills rely on other people bringing them their broken weapons. There will be considerably less of that now.

Ah, balancing. You tug a tiy bit here and it breaks horribly there.   :lol:

thalaric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 06:34:29 am »
Training should not be linked to decay rate.

You cannot train without a decayed weapon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the amount of damage you repair on a weapon translates to the amount of practice (green bar after training) that you receive for repairing it. It will take 10x longer to lose your weapon's quality, which means 10x longer before you repair enough for the next level. Another way to say it is, instead of needing to kill 50 rats to break your club and repair it, now you must kill 500 rats to get the same amount of practice.

I may just misunderstand how the training works. Do you get the same amount of practice for repairing 1 damage as you do for repairing 49 damage?

I was making tria basically from selling shortswords, they used to sell for 1760... one sells for 720 now :o That's too low in my opinion...

The need for newbies to have a selection of affordable weapons outweighs your need to flip them for a larger profit.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:33:04 am by thalaric »

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:51:24 am »

I just had this funny picture in my mind... a new crafting process involving a hammer and an anvil to wear down a weapons quality quickly... and a crafter using it in tandem with repair kits. That would make a nice comic strip for the doomed ones  ::)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 11:10:57 am »
Ah, balancing. You tug a tiy bit here and it breaks horribly there.   :lol:

Which proves the old adage, be careful what you wish for:-\

- Nova

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 02:40:21 pm »
and where did you leave the concept of "i did a mess" even repairing little? :P

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 03:34:41 pm »
Generally speaking, the amount of quality loss per repair and the quality loss per use of item need to be reduced by some factor. No matter how detailed the arguments get, the reoccurring point from new players is that it happens too quickly.

bilbous

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:35:48 pm »
I left the "I did a mess" a result of a critical failure. Examples would be taking a hammer instead of a polishing rag to a slight scratch or using a grinding wheel instead of a whetstone for a tiny nick.
Such things should be extremely rare for an accomplished repairman, perhaps some algorithm whereby low skill users have a larger chance of messing up, say up to 25% at level 1 and 1% at level 100.

thalaric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 06:18:03 pm »
I am not suggesting they undo the changes that were made, those changes were absolutely needed. I'm just hypothesizing that it will be impossible to train the repair skills now unless the requirement for training is reduced from "three repaired swords for next level" to something more accessible like "one repaired sword for next level"