Author Topic: Spell Effect and Lighting  (Read 523 times)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Spell Effect and Lighting
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:13:12 am »
I'm running Ubuntu on an HP laptop with 4GB RAM and Intel HD Graphics card.  I've heard PS has a lot of problems with intel cards but I can usually work around them.  Two things are really bugging me though:

Whenever anyone casts a spell my game grinds to a halt.  It doesn't matter if it's me or a character 100 feet away.  As long as the casting animation happens on my screen, the game pretty much freezes.  As soon as the animation is over everything goes back to normal.  The same goes for spell effects (if I cast defensive wind my game is unusable until the effect wears off).  I realize this is probably an issue with the graphics card and there won't be a quick fix.  As a compromise, is it possible to disable magic effects?

The second issue, I usually play with shaders on the lowest setting because if I put them any higher the game slows down in more detailed areas like Hydlaa plaza.  However on the lowest setting the lighting seems arbitrary.  Sometimes it's dark at noon, sometimes it's bright at 1 am, depending on where I am.  This doesn't really bother me, but what does bother me is that places like the Death Realm and the tunnels in the road on the way to Ojaveda or Bronze Doors are pitch black.  Every time my character dies I have to quit, put the shaders to medium, escape, quit, and put them back to low.  I can deal with it (just a little extra punishment for death) but it's inconvenient.  Also when going through the tunnels I just have to push forward and left-right in sequence and hope I eventually make it out.

Any help would be appreciated.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

bilbous

Re: Spell Effect and Lighting
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:27:15 am »
It kind of sounds to me like you have the shaders on low and not lowest. At least what you describe for the lighting and the tunnels are that way for me on low. Also on lowest you should not see any magic effects at all.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:36:29 am »
Just talking out of my ass here.. But I think there were settings for particles and vbo that could be turned on and off? Have you tried tinkering with that?

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:05:38 am »
I don't see a "Lowest" setting for shaders, only Highest, High, Medium, Low.  As for particles I only see High and Medium.

PS Manually changing these settings to Lowest in the PlaneShift.cfg file in my hidden folder didn't help.

EDIT: Got it working, thanks!  The trick was to manually set shaders to Lowest, then to reopen the pslaunch settings section and make sure there weren't any blanks (I had to put particles back to Medium because I guess there is no Lowest).

Anyway thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:16:36 am by tman »

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:16:51 am »
You might need to scroll down the list if it isn't showing. It is there in the linux 64bit client.

By the way at medium the lighting problem went away but that will probably not help you much if the spells are as bad as you say.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:23:15 am »
Right, at medium shaders the lighting was fine but spells were the same.  At Lowest shaders and medium particles everything is super bright and spells work fine.  And by that I mean nothing happens.  Which is much better than before.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 04:13:52 am »
move or delete the effects from the art folder

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 12:46:10 pm »
To expand on what weltall just said. If you go to you PlaneShift installation directiry all of the spell efects and sound folders are there.

If you either rename or delete the spell effects folder you will stop all the spelleffects when casting.

There is also a bug with magic sounds and you can stop all magic sounds by renaming or deleting the magic sounds folder.